VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently noticed that the Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 I'm using in one of my machines has a "PC SPK" connector, but my attempts to connect it to the PC Speaker header on my mobo have failed. I know I'm using the right mobo pins because I can connect it to the CD-ROM header and it works, but I need that for the CD drive. The machine runs 98SE, but I play a lot of DOS games on it. Any idea how I might enable this header, or is it not intended to be a PC Speaker input like I assumed?

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah yes I see what is going on here...

The "PC SPK" header on the Sound Card is a INPUT. You need to find the "PC SPK" header on your mainboard (if it has one) and then run a lead from it to the "PC SPK" of the Sound Card.

The Sound Card then has a mixer that lets you set the volume.

I have a video showing this on a Sound Blaster 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZFrGCjUtw

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Ah yes I see what is going on here... […]
Show full quote

Ah yes I see what is going on here...

The "PC SPK" header on the Sound Card is a INPUT. You need to find the "PC SPK" header on your mainboard (if it has one) and then run a lead from it to the "PC SPK" of the Sound Card.

The Sound Card then has a mixer that lets you set the volume.

I have a video showing this on a Sound Blaster 16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUZFrGCjUtw

That's what I assumed. I know I found the right pins on the mainboard because I can plug it into the sound card's CDROM header and it works, but I get nothing through the PC SPK header.

Reply 4 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What a coincidence!

I just made this massive PC Speaker tutorial yesterday. It covers exactly what you are trying to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOBYYw1bl_A

PS: If I had a guess I would say that you haven't modded the Audio CD cable or that the mixer setting for the PC Speaker is muted. Depending on what Sound Card you have the program for the mixer is called mixerset or whatever.

My video tutorial has a nice step-by-step explanation of what you need to do!

Reply 5 of 10, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess my problem is that it's muted or something. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any option in the config programs for this card that even mention the PC SPK connector. Should I try getting another program, or are they specific to each card?

Reply 6 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much every sound card has a mixer setting utility. See if you find it and then unmute the PC input.

Also see if you can find a documentation because you never know maybe that connector does something different?

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 10, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Pretty much every sound card has a mixer setting utility. See if you find it and then unmute the PC input.

Also see if you can find a documentation because you never know maybe that connector does something different?

There is indeed a mixer utility, but no option, at least that I can find, for the PC speaker input. Unfortunately, I do not own the documentation for this card. I've searched the web for information about it, but this diagram is pretty much all I've been able to find. There is a manual for it available on Amazon, but I'm not sure if a manual that may or may not help me is worth my money.

Reply 9 of 10, by someperson42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Well I would just use that line-in connector instead 😀

I would too, but there isn't an internal one on my card. The solder pads are there, but no connector. I've also tried the modem connector, but can't get anything out of that. I would try the mic input, but that input is very noisy even with nothing plugged into it, so I keep it muted.

Reply 10 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm

You could solder the cable I guess. And one more option, you could build a cable that goes into the external line-in connector?

Or just move on and get a different card.

My YouTube channel