VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this handsome board in a box full of other stuff + lots of dirt, so after cleaning it a bit looks like a PAS 16 studio, I have no idea how it ended up in my hands possibly someone I don't even remember left it at home.

So, tried it with X-Wing in DOS and I think I need a TSR driver or something to make it work on native PAS mode, any idea where I can found the software/drivers for this card? btw in win98se sounds pretty amazing for such an old card.

p1010031d.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the drivers but the zip file is larger than what I can upload here. I could email them?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried and it gave me "Invalid Credentials" when I tried to login.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should have PM'd me, I can fix that!

Stay tuned!

Edit: Well, you don't have an account on there, that's why...

I'll create one for you and PM the details.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 13, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, thanks for the replies, is there a place in the forum where we can upload/download drivers or programs? I'm new here.
By the way I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for this.

Reply 7 of 13, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

That's what VogonsDrivers is, silly!

😊 I see it now, though what I don't see is the PAS driver, anyway, I also have a bunch or drivers for several vintage cards (voodoo rush, turtle beach, many many) not listed in vogonsdrivers.com that I would like to share too.

Reply 8 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

...looks like a PAS 16 studio...

You've got one of the less-common PAS16 variants, originally intended to be paired with Media Vision's Pro Wave DB, for what would have been known as the Pro Audio Studio XL. This combo never materialized, due to MIDI buffer issues with the MVD101 chip, and these boards made their way into one of the multimedia kits instead. The Wave Blaster header is functional, however, despite being prone to hang-ups.

pas_xtra.jpg

Reply 9 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

That's what VogonsDrivers is, silly!

😊 I see it now, though what I don't see is the PAS driver, anyway, I also have a bunch or drivers for several vintage cards (voodoo rush, turtle beach, many many) not listed in vogonsdrivers.com that I would like to share too.

I've created an account for you, PM with details incoming.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 13, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
vmunix wrote:

...looks like a PAS 16 studio...

You've got one of the less-common PAS16 variants, originally intended to be paired with Media Vision's Pro Wave DB, for what would have been known as the Pro Audio Studio XL. This combo never materialized, due to MIDI buffer issues with the MVD101 chip, and these boards made their way into one of the multimedia kits instead. The Wave Blaster header is functional, however, despite being prone to hang-ups.

Ok, did the experiment and indeed the hanging notes in the midi music is so often is unplayable, tried with two different DB (Crystal & XR385) and it's the same, that's a pity because the sound card digital part sound really really well, in DOS and Windows, is there anything from software/driver perspective that can help this board? all PAS16 boards have this issue?

sorry for waking up this old thread.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 11 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try selecting either Sound Blaster or ThunderBoard for digital sound-effect playback (with whichever games you're using), rather than Pro Audio Spectrum. This will, of course, result in monophonic PCM playback, but may help with the MIDI issues.

The PAS cards are also fairly bus-speed sensitive. You might check to make sure you're not running the ISA bus faster than the "standard" 8.33 MHz.

Reply 12 of 13, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How to check that my BUS speed is at normal speed?
My PAS seems to work, but every time i install drivers and enable SB emulation it wont play no sound. But with out that it plays sound from other apps with no problem.
But when i use TBPRO demo app the MODs have some sort of noise and sound choppy from time to time.

My version doesn't have an daughter header.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 13 of 13, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless you have specifically changed something in the ISA bus such as a crystal oscillator or something in the bios or jumpers, you ISA speed you be the default it's about 8Mhz up to 10Mhz should be safe.

Trailing edge computing.