VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys i have a bit of an issue .

a seller i am purchasing some retroy goodness off is offering to sell me an Asus PCI-AV264CT-N .
I have no motherboard that has a media-bus slot . I i don't even know if it works in a normal PCI slot and if it did i still would not have a use for it .
On the other hand it is lovably obscure i want to buy it so i could frame the thing and put it on my wall! 😊

Gah i don't know what to do! Should i buy it , or not ?

Reply 1 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its a shame, i have a board that can use one... those cards will only work in media bus slots. that said, the video card will most likely work. the sound card part wont.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I'd grab the card while it's available, and worry about using it later. Those Media Bus cards are quite uncommon, while the motherboards that will accept them (which includes most of the Asus socket 7 lineup) are pretty easy to find.

Reply 3 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the price? If the price is good enough, why not? You never know when you'll get a good price on a motherboard down the road that can use it. I can't even begin to list all the things I have bought that I don't have a system to put into because the price was right. If worse comes to worst and you never use it, you can always resell it for a profit later to buy something you really need.