VOGONS

Common searches

10th Anniversary

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 64, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just where did the name "Vogons" come from anyway? My best guess...

The Vogons are a fictional alien race from the planet Vogsphere in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy—
Vogons are described as “one of the most unpleasant races in the galaxy—not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous", and having "as much sex appeal as a road accident" as well as being the authors of "the third worst poetry in the universe".

HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY!
games_64.png

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 41 of 64, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JoeCorrado wrote:
Just where did the name "Vogons" come from anyway? My best guess... […]
Show full quote

The Vogons are a fictional alien race from the planet Vogsphere in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy—
Vogons are described as “one of the most unpleasant races in the galaxy—not actually evil, but bad-tempered, bureaucratic, officious and callous", and having "as much sex appeal as a road accident" as well as being the authors of "the third worst poetry in the universe".

HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY!
games_64.png

Ugh. we're coming up on the TWELFTH birthday in about 3 months. Who necroposts on an anniversary thread? Note the original post date of 07/30/2012, which talks how the anniversary date should be 06/29/2002-06/30/2002? *dope smacks all around*

As for the name, I've mentioned it recently. With both Snover and Nicht Sehr Gut no longer around, the only people who remembers the origins are DosFreak and myself - and I went through a several year absence. DosFreak's been here continuously...

Anyhow:

Naming it after the Vogons from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is not coincidence, it's intentional. Because we were/are n […]
Show full quote

Naming it after the Vogons from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is not coincidence, it's intentional. Because we were/are nerds. 😀

Here's my first post ever here in 2002! (so glad to be able to say that, so many times forums purge...) and this is literally when and where it happened. When I registered and logged in that day, it was called "OGONS - Old Games on New Systems".
So I suggested to Snover to add a "V" (we'd come up with something to stand for it) and Snover went about theming the forum HG2G-style.
Just letting you know I'm here now...

Here's my full explanation several months ago.
Re: Vogons: confusing sub-forums

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 42 of 64, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duh, obviously I posted. 🤣 Don't sweat it, you'll get used to me- I never have claimed to be the brightest bulb in the house but I do manage to have fun on most days. And isn't that what it is all about? I try very hard to stay happy and never grumpy with varying degrees of success daily.

Happy EARLY 12th anniversary VOGONS! << Am I the first? 😉

And by the way, a quite sincere thank you very much for the explanation of the name. The most important part of the thread! You folks really are quite nice and I feel the same as when I shop locally at our local retro computing shop. I just love even the smell of the place!

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 44 of 64, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cdoublejj wrote:

That's pretty cool. 2002 wow. 12 years ago. And now 2006 stuff is just about retro.

2006 will never be "retro" for me and I was born in 1993. Retro is pixellated 16-color graphics and beeping beige computers to me 😀 . Not Core 2 Duos which are still used in my mom's office.

Reply 46 of 64, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

That's pretty cool. 2002 wow. 12 years ago. And now 2006 stuff is just about retro.

2006 will never be "retro" for me and I was born in 1993. Retro is pixellated 16-color graphics and beeping beige computers to me 😀 . Not Core 2 Duos which are still used in my mom's office.

TRUE but, as gamer and 90s kid 2006/2007 hold place in my nostalgic heart. GFX started peaking, games like BioShock came out and these new dual core socket 939 AMD chips were not only but, in my possession. 🤣 I'll always like and love dos games and top down isometric games and the sorts.

Reply 47 of 64, by KJ_Jose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I'm late. I want to greet VOGONS a 12th birthday for still surviving right in 2014, and now even in 2015. Vogons is now 12, and it's great to see this forum survive.

Stiletto wrote:
Ugh. we're coming up on the TWELFTH birthday in about 3 months. Who necroposts on an anniversary thread? Note the original post […]
Show full quote
JoeCorrado wrote:
Just where did the name "Vogons" come from anyway? My best guess... […]
Show full quote

HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY!
games_64.png

Ugh. we're coming up on the TWELFTH birthday in about 3 months. Who necroposts on an anniversary thread? Note the original post date of 07/30/2012, which talks how the anniversary date should be 06/29/2002-06/30/2002? *dope smacks all around*

As for the name, I've mentioned it recently. With both Snover and Nicht Sehr Gut no longer around, the only people who remembers the origins are DosFreak and myself - and I went through a several year absence. DosFreak's been here continuously...

Anyhow:

Naming it after the Vogons from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is not coincidence, it's intentional. Because we were/are n […]
Show full quote

Naming it after the Vogons from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is not coincidence, it's intentional. Because we were/are nerds. 😀

Here's my first post ever here in 2002! (so glad to be able to say that, so many times forums purge...) and this is literally when and where it happened. When I registered and logged in that day, it was called "OGONS - Old Games on New Systems".
So I suggested to Snover to add a "V" (we'd come up with something to stand for it) and Snover went about theming the forum HG2G-style.
Just letting you know I'm here now...

Here's my full explanation several months ago.
Re: Vogons: confusing sub-forums

VOGONS stands for Very Old Games On New Systems.

Follow me on Twitter @kristoffer_jose
https://twitter.com/kristoffer_jose

Reply 48 of 64, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KJ_Jose wrote:

Sorry if I'm late. I want to greet VOGONS a 12th birthday for still surviving right in 2014, and now even in 2015. Vogons is now 12, and it's great to see this forum survive.

Yep, it's nearly older than you!

KJ_Jose wrote:

VOGONS stands for Very Old Games On New Systems.

We know, and I was the one who put the "V" there...

Stiletto

Reply 50 of 64, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Looks like my 12th anniversary on VOGONS is in a week. Holy smokes, that makes me feel old.

Commander Keen is now around twice as old as it was when I joined VOGONS!

You want to feel old, you check out the age that KJ_Jose put in his user profile 😜
(assuming it's true...)

Stiletto

Reply 52 of 64, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Looks like my 12th anniversary on VOGONS is in a week. Holy smokes, that makes me feel old.

And mine was last week.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 54 of 64, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

You want to feel old, you check out the age that KJ_Jose put in his user profile 😜
(assuming it's true...)

I did, that was a mistake. I now feel older than dirt.

And I too am also surprised someone that young would be interested in old DOS games.

Reply 57 of 64, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

And next year will be 15 years!! Holy fuck.

Indeed... I became 20 just about three months ago and I'm already starting to feel like I'm getting old and rot, so I can only guess what some of the more grown up folks here may say about the subject themselves. 🤣 Not that I'm not enjoying it all though 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 59 of 64, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Stiletto wrote:

15th Anniversary is on June 30th. Christ, where does the time go? 🤣

Oh, it just flies away happily when you're having fun 😁

PS: I'll be 53 in a few weeks; already have grey hairs, wrinkles, regular aches and pains, yet continue to enjoy my retro PC hobby as much as I can - at a much slower pace, of course 😊

Ooohh, the pain......