Common searches

windows8

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone read any articles being written about windows8 (just curious). Apparently Microsoft said it's going to be the last version of windows???? What's up with that?

Reply 3 of 321, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apparently Microsoft said it's going to be the last version of windows????

Microsoft has never said any such thing, neither directly nor implied. I'm guessing probably what happened is that you've grossly misunderstood all the talk recently about the finalized version of Windows 8. That means Windows 8 is finished and ready for release, not that it's the last version of Windows.

Reply 5 of 321, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows 9 is supposedly in the works already (which is kind of obvious, or MS would be out of the loop too long). And from what one reads it better be much more desktop user friendly (which means business friendly)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 321, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the same as Windows 7 just no start button which is annoying as fuck (I like to search for programs without popping up a full screen search) and a shitty tile based start menu. (They have refined it since the CP...now you can actually see the name of the tile you want to click on for your non-"Metro") programs!) Also it's not called "Metro" anymore.

You'll also either need to push out alot more icons to the user desktop or get used to telling them how to use shortcut keys. (haha good luck with that)

Also for some reason they turned off the confirmation for deletion of files by default so I'll need to re-enable that for my users.

One really nice thing is if you don't a video driver installed and are using the basic video driver then all D3D9+ functions are emulated.....this has already fixed a couple of games (of course they run alot slower).

So far compatibility for games is roughly about the same as Windows 7, worse at some things. Still testing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 321, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am a windows user for 12+ years, all the way from 98. And windows 7 was a great update from XP. So far this system is pretty good, i dont see how can they upgrade it more.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 11 of 321, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a wait and see game when it comes to it's features and our level of acceptance of the new OS. Sooner or later all Windows users will be forced to migrate to Windows 8 anyway, whether one likes it or not. I don't like Windows 7 as much as I like Windows XP, but I'm still using both.

However, as Vintage PC users, all of us tend to have one or more older versions of Windows installed. I'm still using Windows 98SE, 95 and even Windows 3.1 in respective machines.

Many have been opting for the completely FREE Linux based OSs, what with so many beautiful and nice looking OSs available in so many flavours (distros). I have a reserved partition for linux in all my main systems, just to try out and use the different distros of linux.

And I'm sure, more (experienced users) will opt out of Windows 8 to move into Linux when WIndows 7 support is dropped later on. Or maybe not (- Windows 9?).

@ncmark : do you remember which article was that or can you point towards it?

Last edited by Malik on 2012-08-13, 14:34. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 321, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

If Newell is going to be adapting Steam games to Linux then that's a game changer (no pun intended). I've been looking at Windows 8 and from what I see it is more adapted to the tablet and Windows Phone space than it is to the desktop/laptop market. It looks more akin to iOS. That is going to drive a lot of people away who will perceive Windows 8 as being a lightweight OS for lightweight devices.

Reply 13 of 321, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"That is going to drive a lot of people away who will perceive Windows 8 as being a lightweight OS for lightweight devices."

lolno
People will keep on using Windows. There will be no year of the linux desktop any time soon.

Newell made those statements because the Windows App store is competition to Steam.....that's why Steam recently announced that they will be offering programs instead of just games on Steam.
Of course those games and programs on Steam won't require certification by Valve (Valve are dropping that too) so I'm sure just like Android it will be malware and buggy updates galore.....unlike the Windows/Apple stores.

Reply 14 of 321, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows store

yeah but:
Microsoft reserves the right to remove existing applications on Windows 8 devices (which not just the tablet, but also includes your Windows 8 PC)
AND
MS does NOT accept any responsibility regarding preventing data loss as a result of the application removal in Windows 8 devices,
AND
MS eglibe to do that WITHOUT any user's direction.

That plain-ly stated in Windows Store's Term of Use.
So, yeah to use windows store, you must aggre to Term of Use, which put your computer at mercy of the Redmondians.

Yet, under that Term of Use, MS doesn't state what apps or data that they can't / won't removes at their own choosing.
Somewhere in Windows 8, there must be already exist code to implement that "Apps Removals" by Windows Store's commands.

Last edited by Joey_sw on 2012-08-13, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

-fffuuu

Reply 15 of 321, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

@ncmark : do you remember which article was that or can you point towards it?

I went back and looked around but could not find it. If I remember correctly it was off ZDnet or CNET (not just someone posting a rant)

Reply 16 of 321, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joey_sw wrote:
yeah but: Microsoft reserves the right to remove existing applications on Windows 8 devices (which not just the tablet, but also […]
Show full quote

Windows store

yeah but:
Microsoft reserves the right to remove existing applications on Windows 8 devices (which not just the tablet, but also includes your Windows 8 PC)
AND
MS does NOT accept any responsibility regarding preventing data loss as a result of the application removal in Windows 8 devices,
AND
MS eglibe to do that WITHOUT any user's direction.

That plain-ly stated in Windows Store's Term of Use.
So, yeah to use windows store, you must aggre to Term of Use, which put your computer at mercy of the Redmondians.

Yet, under that Term of Use, MS doesn't state what apps or data that they can't / won't removes at their own choosing.
Somewhere in Windows 8, there must be already exist code to implement that "Apps Removals" by Windows Store's commands.

99.9% of people using the Windows App store will not read any terms of use nor will they care. (until something goes wrong of course)

Reply 17 of 321, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is that buyets of new systems, be it desktop or laptop (and tablets but seemingly it makes sense on those) will be kind of forced to use the preinstalled Windows 8...
I'm happily not going to have to use that and hope no family member comes along with that s... stuff

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 321, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Windows 9 is supposedly in the works already (which is kind of obvious, or MS would be out of the loop too long). And from what one reads it better be much more desktop user friendly (which means business friendly)

haven't read anything like that but hopefully that's true - in any case I'll be skipping Win8 just like WinME and Vista.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 19 of 321, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Supposedly leaked roadmap http://msnerd.tumblr.com/post/11725284513/rhythm