http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5VtGVmvxU

Reply 2 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh Meridian59...

but why did I got Jala ? 😜

Last edited by elianda on 2016-03-31, 02:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Isn't the Goldbox Neverwinter Nights even older?

The gold box NWN was hosted on AOL and hasn't been playable for a long time. The Atari version came out in 2002 and played on different servers, Meridian 59 came out in December 1995. Meridian 59 is also still playable.

Reply 6 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to get someone to email me back with the hardware specs to run the game since they aren't shown on the website. The release date puts the game in the Pentium MMX/P-II era and I'm guessing that just about any 3D video card more powerful than a Virge would be able to handle the graphics.

Reply 7 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had at this time a Pentium100 / 32 MB with the DSystems Papilio UltraCAD G1-2 (Weitek P9100 / 2 MB VRAM) and was running NT4.
My guess: 2 MB graphics card / 14.4 Modem / 16 MB / Win95 / Pentium recommended.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 12, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe nice, I still play M59 on my Pentium1 retro PC every once in a while.

This and Ultima Online were my first MMOs I played back then. Unfortunately Ultima Online completely changed its gameplay wth Age of Shadows and the classic UO has yet to be bested by any other MMORPGs out there. Pathfinder Online, I'm counting on you!

sliderider:
In 96/97 I played it on a P133 with no 3D accelleration. However the engine has been updated since.
The current client runs very smoothly on a P233MMX with a Matrox Mystique (and 3DFX Voodoo, which isn't supported ^^).

::42::

Reply 9 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mystery wrote:
Hehe nice, I still play M59 on my Pentium1 retro PC every once in a while. […]
Show full quote

Hehe nice, I still play M59 on my Pentium1 retro PC every once in a while.

This and Ultima Online were my first MMOs I played back then. Unfortunately Ultima Online completely changed its gameplay wth Age of Shadows and the classic UO has yet to be bested by any other MMORPGs out there. Pathfinder Online, I'm counting on you!

sliderider:
In 96/97 I played it on a P133 with no 3D accelleration. However the engine has been updated since.
The current client runs very smoothly on a P233MMX with a Matrox Mystique (and 3DFX Voodoo, which isn't supported ^^).

I did see in the news updates that the engine had been updated to support D3D but I didn't notice it mentioning what version of DirectX is required to play. During the time the game was originally released, Microsoft had released versions 1-3 already, but I'm thinking the game engine was updated long after that so I'm guessing at least a DX5 or 6 compliant video card would be required. I can't really see it requiring more than that from the screenshots. Even though it's been updated, it still doesn't look very sophisticated as far as graphics are concerned. I can still remember playing Everquest pre-Luclin and you could play that with a DX 7 card and even back then it was more graphically demanding than Meridian 59 seems to be.

Reply 10 of 12, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A 486 with 8mb RAM was probably the hardware requirements for Meridian 59. However, like Mystery said it has been updated to support 3d Acceleration. I'm pretty sure it requires a DX6 compatible Video card.