VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Merri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello after a few years of hiatus! Some six years ago I was working on a map generator for this game, but never went far enough with it. It got the most basic of things done with terraforming, but didn't do enough to create a map you could play right away. Then some three years ago GOG contacted me and asked if they could have it on their site available alongside the original game once it is bought, and I agreed.

This made me to be more active with the game so I ended up starting up a new site and figuring out more about the game's files. Over the years I've documented my foundings on my site and I've also found out about Return to the Roots project, an "add-on" remake that requires the original game files to work. They've figured out some of the other files that I haven't had my eyes on yet - map files and textures have been a priority for me. Despite this interest I haven't been continuously onto this hobby project so there isn't as much advance as one could think considering the amount of years passed.

This month I've been spending time on creating an online editor which already does a few tricks, but nothing too spectacular. The current version available online also has some issues with big map files so I've been rethinking and simplifying things again this week and thus development to the outside world looks like a halted one. I'd like to keep releasing small improvements often, but getting up to the point requires an awful lot of additional development like figuring out a proper method of upload and a database for maps. As you might know, JavaScript does not allow direct save of files to harddrive. Atleast these days you can read files without n upload! 😀

My site is Settlers II.net and Return to the Roots project can be found at RttR.info. Thought this site is about the most appropriate place I could find for people that do have interest for this great gem so I hope I'm not breaking any rule with this post 😀

Oh, and for original The Settlers / Serf City you can find FreeSerf project. I didn't play it when I was young and S2 is just an improvement in every possible way that S1 doesn't interest me the same way.