VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.ouya.tv/

I think this one is going to succeed. They raised money beyond their wildest dreams, something Indrema failed to do and the low price means they are going to sell a lot of them. Devs won't be able to ignore it.

Reply 2 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I looked into this a little while ago. I think the concept is great, and I like that they've actually got working prototypes and a design team hard at work as it is, but they're going up against Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, though really... those companies aren't even the OUYA's primary competition; It's Steam.

Anyone who can afford a computer and a decent internet connection can get Steam and easily buy, download and play games from a massive library, many of which support gamepads and joysticks. Many Steam games benefit from all the features Steam offers as well, including multiplayer and community features. True, most games on Steam need at least mid-quality computer hardware to run, all of which is more expensive than OUYA itself, which is really the only saving grace and the one thing OUYA's gonna have to promote if it's gonna have any hope of succeeding.

As good an idea as OUYA is, they're going to need some aggressive marketing to get people in general to buy it once it's out, which could very easily eat up the majority of the money they've raised. Don't get me wrong though, they have a chance, I'm just saying it's not going to be an easy ride.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 17, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

whats the spec? - whats it can and can't do?
and wheres the dev-tools?
and would dev-tools for androids can be easly modified for this console?

sure its based on android, but does it has any possibility for hardware customization like MSX-series ?

-fffuuu

Reply 7 of 17, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1ghz quad core Tera processor, 1gb ram 16gb internal storage, you can use the free android sdk released by google and they have said you can openly hack and mod the console, the will later after its released release dev tools.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 8 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

Gemini000, I can see you're really good at copying and pasting YouTube comments. XD

???

The only pages I've checked out on OUYA are the Kickstarter page and the official homepage. I haven't looked up info about this on YouTube at all. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 17, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For $99 bucks, you are getting a fairly decent console. Not up to 360 or PS3 standards, but worlds better than Wii. I've heard it will be near to that of a Nexus 7 tablet. I've watched some of the Tegra3 demo videos and they look very nice.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to the games and apps. If they build up a decent launch library they could be profitable in the long run.

I look forward to what the homebrew community comes up with. I also look forward to seeing how emulators stack up on this.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 10 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
laxdragon wrote:

For $99 bucks, you are getting a fairly decent console. Not up to 360 or PS3 standards, but worlds better than Wii. I've heard it will be near to that of a Nexus 7 tablet. I've watched some of the Tegra3 demo videos and they look very nice.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to the games and apps. If they build up a decent launch library they could be profitable in the long run.

I look forward to what the homebrew community comes up with. I also look forward to seeing how emulators stack up on this.

If the apps in the android store are compatible, they'll have a ton of support from day one. If android apps require porting, it might be a problem. I know at least a dozen people who would line up to buy one just for the chance to play Angry Birds in 1080p on a 55" flat screen.

Reply 12 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ouya homepage is so scant on the information that it is advertising.

And why the idea of pre-order for something that is untested and unknown? Any advantages in placing a pre-order?

The only thing I came to know about ouya is that people are "excited" about it. For example, at twitter :

E**an Ha***tt ‏@e**anha***tt wrote :

"I dreamt last night that my #OUYA came in the mail and I needed to use a coaxial cable to connect it to the TV. 🤣 @playouya I'm excited!"

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
The ouya homepage is so scant on the information that it is advertising. […]
Show full quote

And why the idea of pre-order for something that is untested and unknown? Any advantages in placing a pre-order?

The only thing I came to know about ouya is that people are "excited" about it. For example, at twitter :

E**an Ha***tt ‏@e**anha***tt wrote :

"I dreamt last night that my #OUYA came in the mail and I needed to use a coaxial cable to connect it to the TV. 🤣 @playouya I'm excited!"

A pre-order guarantees you a place in the first production run (assuming there is a second).

Reply 14 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

The Kickstarter page has a wealth more information than the actual homepage, including embedded videos showing behind-the-scenes stuff as to what they've been doing, such as how they went about designing the controller.

Plus, they already have working prototypes. That alone is impressive.

sliderider wrote:

If the apps in the android store are compatible, they'll have a ton of support from day one. If android apps require porting, it might be a problem.

As far as I can tell from what they've said, apps will require porting, but since the base OS is the same the porting process should be a piece of cake, just changes to controls and resolution and such. (Unless a game is badly programmed in which case porting would almost be like rewriting the game from scratch.) Though one standard they have is that ALL games available to purchase must also have free versions as well, this way players can try any game out before buying it.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 15 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

apps will require porting, but since the base OS is the same the porting process should be a piece of cake, just changes to controls and resolution and such.

Porting is one thing, but making a game designed for touch screens work with a controller is another all together. The mechanics are different, therefore game play will be different.

I just can't imagine why people are excited about this thing?? It's new I guess.

IF we see it, it's got to compete somehow with services that have been in the market place for years. And one of the main advantages the existing services has is their experience dealing with piracy. This Ouya thing sounds like a pirates dream machine, so why would the devs bother to port their game over?

Sorry to be a negative nelly!

Reply 16 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

Porting is one thing, but making a game designed for touch screens work with a controller is another all together. The mechanics are different, therefore game play will be different.

I've been a programmer for nearly two decades now, so trust me when I say, controls may be difficult to figure out when you're designing a game, but programming-wise, they're one of the easiest things to implement nowadays. In fact, adding joystick support to a game is SO easy that I just shake my head and wonder WTF is going on when a well-known developer releases a game with poor/no joystick support that really should have it. >_>;

You are right though, different paradigm. There will be some games that simply don't translate well. For a game like Angry Birds, you'd likely have to implement a power+angle system, or use the analog stick as a sort of flicking device, whereby the amount you pull back and push forwards determines angle and power.

Actually, this all reminds me of an old, surreal PC game called "Golf?" that had a unique mouse-mechanic for hitting the ball that was surprisingly intuitive, though tricky to get used to your first time playing.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 17 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

As far as I can tell from what they've said, apps will require porting, but since the base OS is the same the porting process should be a piece of cake, just changes to controls and resolution and such. (Unless a game is badly programmed in which case porting would almost be like rewriting the game from scratch.)

Somehow I'm reminded of the infamous mess with all those not-quite-100%-compatible early IBM PC clones. Use well-behaved BIOS calls and you were fine - talk to the hardware directly and you'd break spectacularly on anything else but the real deal. Of course, being "well-behaved" meant lousy performance in that case, so the market sorted itself out very quickly there.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]