VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible for a cd-rom software completely installed on a hard drive without any virtual cd-rom software support? (No need to mount)
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by lucky7456969 on 2012-08-29, 08:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything is possible if you believe. 😜

If you are asking if there is some easy, universal way that works for all programs, then no, probably not. If you have a specific program in mind, perhaps you should say what it is.

Reply 2 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No one solution as there was a wide range of methods used. Case by case, only

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmmm...can you tell us what exactly do you want to do? Or are you asking generally? Perhaps some may have done what you want to do. Because as already been said, each task may require individualized solution.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 14, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Errmmm...can you tell us what exactly do you want to do? Or are you asking generally? Perhaps some may have done what you want to do. Because as already been said, each task may require individualized solution.

Hi Malik,
I've Pro Pinball installed, but it requires the CD-ROM image mounted with Daemon Tools Lite, I don't like that. I'd like to have Pro pinball independent of the CD-ROM. That's all. Sorry for the typos in the first post. I was just awake.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by lucky7456969 on 2012-08-29, 09:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pro Pinball uses redbook audio for its music, if I'm not mistaken. In some cases it is possible to convert the audio tracks to MP3s and use inmm, but I don't think that applies to Pro Pinball.

Thus, to make it run without the CD would require hacking the executable to find out what functions it uses to play redbook audio, and replacing it with a different function. This is not trivial.

If you don't care about music, there's probably a no-CD crack of some sort out there somewhere.

Reply 8 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm...There are 3 Pro Pinball games currently available at GOG. I wonder how GOG did it, if these games have red book audio too. (I don't have these.)

On the other hand, for me, if I already made an image of a cd and using Daemon Tools Lite, it already serves the purpose of negating to need to load a physical cd into a physical drive, and putting up with the spinning noise and waiting for the drive to get ready.
(It's already like loading the complete cd from a folder in the hard drive.)

In addition, loading a cd image via DTLite does not take anymore resorces than the DTLite program itself, if installed, which already reserved the resources for a virtual drive.

Unless if you are facing hard drive shortage, IMHO, you are already using the best solution. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the GOG version of Timeshock, at least (which is the only one I'm certain uses redbook) is the DOS version. (I didn't even know there was a DOS version.)

EDIT: I dug out my original CDs (:happyhappy: ) and only The Web and Timeshock have redbook audio; Fantastic Journey and Big Race do not. nocd cracks appear to be trivial to find.

Reply 10 of 14, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, what I don't really like is if you've got 10 games off CD, you have to change or re-mount every time you play different games. Not too hard to do, I just want to avoid the hassle.
Thanks
Jack

Reply 11 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That's why you make batch files. And seriously, how often do you play them all one after the other?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper