VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You watch the current episode of the TV show: Revolution, an actor holds up a CPU and you say to yourself: "Hey that's an Athlon CPU!". 😁

Anyone else had the same experience with spotting and identifying vintage gear in TV shows?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 57, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't remember anything, but something I've wondered about is:

Anyone have a clue what kind of computer that is in the background in Jerry Seinfelds apartment? I know it changes at some point during the seasons.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 57, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He had a classic mac for awhile, then a Duo setup for a little bit. Can't remember the others off-hand, but I think there were one or two more.

Reply 6 of 57, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Happens all the time, not only in TV Shows, but in everyday life too.

Something similiar happened to me for a while, I saw acronyms related to computers everywhere I looked that had some text or numbers, license plates, random newspaper advertisement, you name it... stuff like DDR, RGB ,HDD, RAM, PCI, CRT, AGP or numbers like 32 ,64 ,128 , 256 , 512 , but I'm better now thank you 😅

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 8 of 57, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Filosofia wrote:

Happens all the time, not only in TV Shows, but in everyday life too.

Something similiar happened to me for a while, I saw acronyms related to computers everywhere I looked that had some text or numbers, license plates, random newspaper advertisement, you name it... stuff like DDR, RGB ,HDD, RAM, PCI, CRT, AGP or numbers like 32 ,64 ,128 , 256 , 512 , but I'm better now thank you 😅

Better ? is that an illness ? seriously, I get the same nerdy feeling. When I begin listening to music. And believe me, I got the chills of awesomeness , when it came to those things you just said unless. You are talking about DDR as Dance Dance Revolution, then I am out . 😉

Reply 9 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know you're a retro nerd when you spend $65 (incl postage) on a floppy drive.

Damn Apple II's...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 57, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lol I thought the same thing and what a shame that it was burnt. Did you see that dual slot 1 Dell board in the first episode? The coolers gave it away 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 57, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know you're a retro nerd when you can pick out the fact a character on a random TV show is using an ISA SCSI port card as a computer prop.

My wife- "What is that card he has there?"
Me- "...SCSI Card. Possibly parallel port, but it looks like a SCSI to me. It's definitely an ISA bus peripheral."
Wife- *blank stare*
Me- "Very old computer tech, dear." 😀
Wife- "Ohh."

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 16 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

He had a classic mac for awhile, then a Duo setup for a little bit. Can't remember the others off-hand, but I think there were one or two more.

Howard Wolowitz from Big Bang Theory has a classic Mac on a shelf in his bedroom. Watch closely the next time the next time they show him in his room at his mother's house and it should be pretty easy to spot.

Oops, I think that makes me a retro nerd...Damn!

Reply 18 of 57, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was an episode of storage wars (or something silly like it), they found some random junk in it, but completely failed to mention the 1970's mainframe parts. The cassette reels alone sold for $100 EACH and I remember seeing at least 20 on the shelf.

bleh.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.