VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

SquallStrife: I have actually met a few (perhaps not into the extreme) "Karens" in my lifetime.

Exactly. That's part of the sitcom formula, we all know "someone like that" for most shows, it's what makes them relatable and enjoyable.

Just like Jack and Karen's writers aren't ridiculing the gays and the overprivileged, Sheldon and Leonard's writers aren't ridiculing academics and those with personality disorders. They're exaggerating things for comedic effect.

I'm not trying to force you to like the show dude, just pointing out that besides the subject matter and the decade they're made in, the two shows you've mentioned are pretty much the same thing. Everything you're saying Big Bang Theory is guilty of, all sitcoms are guilty of.

It probably wouldn't surprise you that I am diagnosed with AS as well. When I was a teenager it always used to annoy me the way computer nerds are portrayed in movies and TV. I actually found TBBT refreshing in that sense, it shows that in spite of our social awkwardness and esoteric mannerisms, we're good people.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 41 of 57, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Exactly. That's part of the sitcom formula, we all know "someone like that" for most shows, it's what makes them relatable and e […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

SquallStrife: I have actually met a few (perhaps not into the extreme) "Karens" in my lifetime.

Exactly. That's part of the sitcom formula, we all know "someone like that" for most shows, it's what makes them relatable and enjoyable.

Just like Jack and Karen's writers aren't ridiculing the gays and the overprivileged, Sheldon and Leonard's writers aren't ridiculing academics and those with personality disorders. They're exaggerating things for comedic effect.

I'm not trying to force you to like the show dude, just pointing out that besides the subject matter and the decade they're made in, the two shows you've mentioned are pretty much the same thing. Everything you're saying Big Bang Theory is guilty of, all sitcoms are guilty of.

It probably wouldn't surprise you that I am diagnosed with AS as well. When I was a teenager it always used to annoy me the way computer nerds are portrayed in movies and TV. I actually found TBBT refreshing in that sense, it shows that in spite of our social awkwardness and esoteric mannerisms, we're good people.

SquallStrife: It seems to me you and I could get along pretty well. If we met, and if we meet, then I owe you a drink. Whether it is sodas (including carbonated mineral water), beers, wine or any kind of spirits 😀 But talking about aspies, and sitcoms. Then Christian Clemenson plays a pretty accurate (perhaps with a few tweaks) aspie. In Boston Legal.

Reply 42 of 57, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Nerd" is a loose term created by people who refuse to understand and accept the productivity and pleasure involved in computing. It's also applied by those who can't understand computing or are afraid or feel overwhelmed by it. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 43 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think nerd is used somewhat like the n-word for African Americans. They use the word among one another as a show of brotherhood, but those outside the group have used it, and continue to use it as a pejorative.

That is to say, me using the word "nerds" is different to the college football jock using the word "nerds". 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 44 of 57, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

I think nerd is used somewhat like the n-word for African Americans. They use the word among one another as a show of brotherhood, but those outside the group have used it, and continue to use it as a pejorative.)

Hmm yea true when you think about it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 57, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just noticed the other day that there's an early PowerPC Mac in this ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXG0PACMUOo
It's pretty funny considering how recent this ad is! 🤣

Reply 49 of 57, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
vmunix wrote:

Back to topic.

I still have a VCR. With the clock set.

I still have dozens of movies on VHS.

Oh, and I also have a LaserDisc player. Remember those?

But that begs the question, are you rocking a betamax?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 50 of 57, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I do -- plus the add-on Kimura thing for subtitles 😁

We were! Betamax but not VHS...

Reply 51 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
sliderider wrote:
vmunix wrote:

Back to topic.

I still have a VCR. With the clock set.

I still have dozens of movies on VHS.

LaserDisc > BetaMax 😁

Reply 52 of 57, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:
Exactly. That's part of the sitcom formula, we all know "someone like that" for most shows, it's what makes them relatable and e […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

SquallStrife: It seems to me you and I could get along pretty well. If we met, and if we meet, then I owe you a drink. Whether it is sodas (including carbonated mineral water), beers, wine or any kind of spirits 😀 But talking about aspies, and sitcoms. Then Christian Clemenson plays a pretty accurate (perhaps with a few tweaks) aspie. In Boston Legal.

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers as well (I was tested waaay back when I was 6 🤣), so that makes three of us I guess.

Reply 54 of 57, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:
Show full quote

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers as well (I was tested waaay back when I was 6 🤣), so that makes three of us I guess.

Heh make that 4.