VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 57, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Towards the end of Seinfeld's run, I think the Mac switched to one of those super expensive anniversary Macs. I think it went Mac Classic > Performa > Anniversary Mac. I could be wrong, though, been a long time since I've seen the show.

Reply 21 of 57, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember spotting an IBM PS/2 in The Silence of the Lambs. I don't know what exact model it was, but it had a horizontal desktop case with a single 3.5" drive.

Reply 24 of 57, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A. 66, 133, 166.

B. 512, 640, 1024...

C. (AWE) 32, 64

D. 286, 386, 486.

"I SEE NUMBERS!"

8126378493_bbb51d4c21.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i. MT(-32)
ii. AGP (beginning of a period of car number plates in my state)
ii. And seeing others in anything, viz. PCI, ISA, AWE, EMS, EMM, RAM, KB, ORIGIN, SIERRA,.....etc..

"I SEE ALPHABETS & WORDS TOO!"

8126378493_bbb51d4c21.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 57, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

A. 66, 133, 166.

You should replace it with 4.77, 10, 12, and 16 respectively. 😉

Malik wrote:

ii. AGP (beginning of a period of car number plates in my state)

😳 That's so damn lucky!

Reply 26 of 57, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My great grandpa had an old Ford van that sat rusting away on the old farm, I meant to salvage the license plate then I forgot. PC486 that was last inspected back in 1982 x.x

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 27 of 57, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know you're a retro nerd when your idea of "graphical improvement" is hacking at a game to get a whopping 16(!!!) colors instead of just 4. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o1pTdsXr0

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 28 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI4qhluSwaY

Pause at 0:06 and look on the shelf in the corner for the classic Mac.

Now that's a retro nerd.

And then there's this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1uj9VmCzo

Sheldon falls down the stairs at the end as he rushes to bring his Apple II to Steve Wozniak for his autograph.

Reply 29 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the British series The IT Crowd. Their basement is crammed full of computer antiques. I think in the first episode Moss scoffs at Jen for not noticing his ZX81.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 30 of 57, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for cursing, but I fucking hate the Big Bang Theory. To me, the whole series makes me cringe. The show makes me angry, cause it is NOT the way to show how at least the geeks/nerds are. They are just as much human beings as any one else, in comparison to the bullshit, some people call a sitcom. I would rather watch Will & Grace. So fuck Big Bang Theory, it is a load of bullshit, based on serious fucked up stereotypes, just like the guys who were being (almost) racist in the hip hop/rap thread ! And I love every kind of music from classical music to heavy metal. And I doubt there is a genre of music. That does not have a song, that I do not like. So live, and let live.

Reply 31 of 57, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

I fucking hate the Big Bang Theory. To me, the whole series makes me cringe. The show makes me angry, cause it is NOT the way to show how at least the geeks/nerds are. They are just as much human beings as any one else, in comparison to the bullshit, some people call a sitcom.

One of my friends told me the exact same thing a while ago, but after some persuasion (and actually watching the thing) he's now a major fan. There's no reason to get all butthurt by popular entertainment - just enjoy the in-jokes or move on to something else. No concern of mine; I'm just amazed at the lengths that people go to just to act all OFFENDED about the world around them.

...the guys who were being (almost) racist in the hip hop/rap thread !

yeah, that one had Josef Goebbels (almost) written all over it. 🙄
facepalm.gif

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 33 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

... Will & Grace...

... fucked up stereotypes...

Ummmm.....

154811305910974384_qPkz2JM3_b.jpg

WolverineDK wrote:

Live and let live

Ditto. 😀

Reply 34 of 57, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took me a while to warm up to the Big Bang Theory, but once I noticed that they were actually putting references in that only "true" nerds would get, I started enjoying it somewhat. I mean, yeah the characters portrayed are rather stereotypical, but really, what are you going to expect from a mainstream sitcom? They could've done a hell of a lot worse. 🤣

Reply 35 of 57, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Ummmm..... […]
Show full quote
WolverineDK wrote:

... Will & Grace...

... fucked up stereotypes...

Ummmm.....

154811305910974384_qPkz2JM3_b.jpg

WolverineDK wrote:

Live and let live

Ditto. 😀

At least "Jack" is not playing gay. He is (in real life) gay. And he is actually a damn good actor too.

Reply 36 of 57, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which is about as respectable as an African American in black face. I have to agree with the sentiment that BBT is patronizing at best. But then in my opinion the only sitcom worth watching these days is Louie.

Reply 37 of 57, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think any sitcom is worth watching 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 57, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

At least "Jack" is not playing gay. He is (in real life) gay. And he is actually a damn good actor too.

Regardless, Jack's character is highly exaggerated, because it's a sitcom. How about Karen? Do you think people exist that are like that to the same extent?

Everything about sitcoms is exaggerated and fake. You basically said you hated the sitcom for being a sitcom, but like a different sitcom.

Not liking it, I get that, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but call a spade a spade.

Hatta wrote:

I have to agree with the sentiment that BBT is patronizing at best.

Every sitcom is patronising. That's the genre. Seen the characters and situations in Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace, etc? C'mon. Nobody in real life is that stupid. 😀

Louie is interesting, I don't know if I'd call it a sitcom any more. It used to be I guess, but the third season is so depressing.

Reply 39 of 57, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyway, I think the show is a cluster-fuck of proportions. And in some ways, I think if they had chosen Harold And Kumar as "Leonard and Jim". I actually think it would have been a pretty fun show. Instead of a fucking parody, of two highly intelligent "straight" guys. It became. But then again, as I said from the beginning with the first post, live and let live. It just bloody irks me. I consider myself, a nerd/geek and I know I have a high IQ. But neither my behaviour, or for that matter the diagnose I have, which is Aspergers Syndrome. Would I personally tolerate a show, that ridiculed people like me or you guys and gals. But people are entitled to other opinions than mine. But quoting a series, that ridicules anything I consider pretty bad ass. With two people who are behaving worse than I describe without being sexistic and or LGBT phobic , which I am certainly NOT, then I doubt I can explain into this situation. Without grumbling a lot, and rewriting more than I already have done.

SquallStrife: I have actually met a few (perhaps not into the extreme) "Karens" in my lifetime.

But this thread, reminds me of the MLP thread F2bnp linked to (yeah I know you are a member of the ASSEMbler board too), where I mentioned his attitude and stuff. But anyway later on, I felt compelled to remove two post, which were for myself out of line with what I stand for, so I chose to delete them. But here on the other hand, I have thought long and hard how to put words out on the internet. When it has come to the posts I have written in this thread.