Dune II HD port at last!

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 152, by MyName

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-03-15, 08:23:
MyName wrote on 2024-03-08, 13:30:

You're just confusing facts with opinions.

You are just confusing your opinions with facts.

Talking about opinions causes a gag reflex in healthy people. I don't think we have anything to talk about. Muted

Reply 141 of 152, by mikesk8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gameflorist wrote on 2024-03-15, 17:08:
hey mikesk8, i think i was able to fix the hanging notes problem with MIDI on macOS. here are updated packages: […]
Show full quote
mikesk8 wrote on 2024-03-07, 16:01:
gameflorist wrote on 2024-03-07, 12:21:

It should be working. Dune Dynasty has MIDI support. So if a Roland SC-55 is the MIDI-device of your mac, it should use that. However, i just tried MIDI-output on a mac, and i encountered some problems with hanging notes.

Alternatively you can use rcblanke's pre-recorded Sc-55 sountrack (see here).

Thank you for the answer. My goal is to use a real SC55 as this is the most fun way 😉 I am going to check it out the next week once my new USB MIDI cable arrives and report back.
Do you know the root cause of the hanging notes you mentioned? Did you use the actual device? Which USB MIDI cable did you use?

hey mikesk8, i think i was able to fix the hanging notes problem with MIDI on macOS. here are updated packages:

macos-x86-64
macos-arm64

let me know if you have any problems!

Thanks a lot! I have just started testing and got stuck 😉 The Dune II via Dosbox Staging works fully ok with Roland SC55 (via Coremidi). However, in Dune Dynasty I cannot get any music from my Roland. I have checked all the settings, but always the music plays via computer speakers and not via Roland SC55 (connected to Mac via Roland Midi-USB interface).

Do you maybe know what I need to put in CFG file?

Reply 142 of 152, by gameflorist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mikesk8 wrote on 2024-03-17, 14:21:

Thanks a lot! I have just started testing and got stuck 😉 The Dune II via Dosbox Staging works fully ok with Roland SC55 (via Coremidi). However, in Dune Dynasty I cannot get any music from my Roland. I have checked all the settings, but always the music plays via computer speakers and not via Roland SC55 (connected to Mac via Roland Midi-USB interface).

unfortunately i don't think there are any config options, that could help you here. i don't know much about MIDI on macOS, but it seems there are 2 interfaces regarding MIDI on mac: Core Audio and Core Midi. both are supported by Dosbox, but Dune Dynasty only supports Core Audio, and not Core Midi. maybe there is a way to tell Core Audio to use an external MIDI device instead of the built-in by default (e.g. by setting a default audio device)? but maybe Core Midi is required to do that, in which case i believe there is unfortunately no way to accomplish with Dynasty, what you are trying to do.

Reply 143 of 152, by mikesk8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gameflorist wrote on 2024-03-19, 20:24:
mikesk8 wrote on 2024-03-17, 14:21:

unfortunately i don't think there are any config options, that could help you here. i don't know much about MIDI on macOS, but it seems there are 2 interfaces regarding MIDI on mac: Core Audio and Core Midi. both are supported by Dosbox, but Dune Dynasty only supports Core Audio, and not Core Midi. maybe there is a way to tell Core Audio to use an external MIDI device instead of the built-in by default (e.g. by setting a default audio device)? but maybe Core Midi is required to do that, in which case i believe there is unfortunately no way to accomplish with Dynasty, what you are trying to do.

Thank you for your answer. I think coremidi is required to communicate with external devices, at least this is my understanding. It is a pity its not supported 🙁 Maybe somebody in the future will be able to create a patch as a pull request.

Reply 144 of 152, by gameflorist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mikesk8 wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:00:

Thank you for your answer. I think coremidi is required to communicate with external devices, at least this is my understanding. It is a pity its not supported 🙁 Maybe somebody in the future will be able to create a patch as a pull request.

Thanks for clarification! I'd definitely be glad to merge a pull request.

Funny - i just wanted to direct you to the OpenDUNE project and saw just now, that you've opened a discussion there. The project saw some recent activity. Maybe they will implement it. Since Dune Dynasty is a fork of OpenDUNE i might be able to port it.

Reply 145 of 152, by mikesk8

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gameflorist wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:47:
mikesk8 wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:00:

Thanks for clarification! I'd definitely be glad to merge a pull request.

Funny - i just wanted to direct you to the OpenDUNE project and saw just now, that you've opened a discussion there. The project saw some recent activity. Maybe they will implement it. Since Dune Dynasty is a fork of OpenDUNE i might be able to port it.

Yes, indeed 😉 I have no dev skills to do this by myself, but maybe there is somebody knowing how and willing to implement it.

Reply 146 of 152, by gameflorist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to include an optional anhancement in the next version, that raises the fog uncover radius of units to make reconnaissance of the map less tedious.

I'd like to get some feedback on what the wishes are regarding this.

The current ranges are:

• All infantry: 1
  • Trikes, Quads, Harvenster, MCV: 2
  • Tank: 3
  • Siege Tank, Devestator, Sonic Tank: 4
  • Launcher, Deviator: 5

Bear in mind, that uncovering of units also activates the enemy.

I don't want to overdo it. Currently I'm thinking about just increasing Quads and Trikes to 5, to cement their role as scouts and give them a purpose in later missions.

What are your opinions?

Reply 147 of 152, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sonic tank having less range than launcher and deviator kinda makes no sense to me but I dont remember what it was like in the original game..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 148 of 152, by gameflorist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-20, 09:01:

Sonic tank having less range than launcher and deviator kinda makes no sense to me but I dont remember what it was like in the original game..

The numbers i posted should reflect the original ones, as i don't think these were ever changed in OpenDune and Dynasty.

One could argue, that contrary to the sonic tank, the launchers become quite useless in close combat. That additional range helps mitigate that a bit.

Reply 149 of 152, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-20, 09:01:

Note that this is the sight range (i. e. the radius of the circle around the unit that gets revealed when it is stationary), not the actual weapon range.

Sonic Tank's weapon range is 8, while Deviator has 7 and Launcher has 9.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 151 of 152, by gameflorist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DudeFace wrote on 2024-04-25, 01:01:

github says "Runs natively on modern machines (OpenGL or Direct3D)" does this mean it only runs with later versions, DX11/opengl3.0+? or will it still work on old hardware DX9/opengl2.0?

I don't really know that, to be honest.

Reply 152 of 152, by DudeFace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gameflorist wrote on 2024-04-25, 07:58:
DudeFace wrote on 2024-04-25, 01:01:

github says "Runs natively on modern machines (OpenGL or Direct3D)" does this mean it only runs with later versions, DX11/opengl3.0+? or will it still work on old hardware DX9/opengl2.0?

I don't really know that, to be honest.

i'll give it a go on a couple of things when i've got some time, if i have any luck i'll report back. i know dune legacy 0.96 works on a GF fx5200 on xp, but the 0.97 had some issue i forget what,.