Dune II HD port at last!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 145, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dynasty wrote:

May I recommend Stefan Hendriks' campaign, which he made with his own map editor and contains new map seeds.

already 4 missions into this one - pretty challenging stuff compared to the original campaigns (a good thing).
Keep up the good work.

[EDIT]: noticed an apparent bug with arriving reinforcements - in some situations the carryall just keeps flying in circles over a certain spot, without ever setting the unit down.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 41 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dynasty, I've got a couple more suggestions for your excellent port.

- Would you consider selecting all visible units of the same type when you double-click one unit?

- And what about MIDI support? We have great soft-synths (like Roland Virtual Sound Canvas) that could be used to get a sound quality very similar to the Roland SC-55.

It would be better if somebody could record those MIDIs in a real SC-55 device, but there aren't many people who own those old synths... 🙁

Kind regards.

Reply 42 of 145, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Leolo wrote:

..It would be better if somebody could record those MIDIs in a real SC-55 device..

Here you go, taken from my SC-55 mixed with SC-88Pro:

Original MIDI files (52KB)
FLAC (taken from SC-55 + SC-88Pro) (241MB)
MP3s (256kbps) (84MB)

EDIT: updated file locations

To use these MP3s with the game, simply put them in the music\fed2k_mt32 folder (!!) and alter dunedynasty.cfg to use the fed2k_mt32 pack by setting "default=fed2k_mt32" in the [music] section. I've found that audiopack-detection is a bit buggy (seems to fall-back to OPL every now and then), so you may also want to disable all other audio packs by setting:

dune2_adlib=0
dune2_c55=0
fed2k_mt32=1
d2tm_adlib=0
d2tm_mt32=0
d2tm_sc55=0
dune2_smd=0
dune2000=0

The reason that I chose to (ab)use the 'fed2k_mt32' pack is because that pack has files for all game events.

regards,
Ronald

Last edited by rcblanke on 2021-04-24, 21:26. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 43 of 145, by dynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Leolo: is there something wrong with FluidSynth?

rcblanke, that's awesome! I'll add that as a music pack into the game (FLAC filenames).

The second way is the correct thing to do if you want to force the game to use a single music pack. The default music pack is there so that it won't be silent if the chosen packs are missing a few songs (e.g. if you're using the smd music pack).

Reply 44 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dynasty,

The advantage of having MIDI support is that you can use any hardware synth or any software synth of your choice.

There is Roland Virtual Sound Canvas, but there's also Roland Hyper Canvas, or Yamaha YXG50. All of them are really good soft synths.

rcblanke,

Man, thanks a million for the recordings! That's a very very nice addition for this game! 😀

Reply 45 of 145, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rcblanke wrote:
Here you go, taken from my SC-55 mixed with SC-88Pro: […]
Show full quote

Here you go, taken from my SC-55 mixed with SC-88Pro:

Original MIDI files mirror (52KB)
FLAC (taken from SC-55 + SC-88Pro) mirror (241MB)
MP3s (256kbps) mirror (84MB)

Man, fantastic work - thanks! very much appreciated.

The FLACs can be used in-game as well, so here's a windows batch file to rename them to what the game expects (rename it to .bat first, of course... the forum doesn't like that extension).

Attachments

• Filename
    ren_flacs.txt
    File size
    1.45 KiB
    Downloads
    177 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 47 of 145, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Dune Dynasty v1.4 is excellent. David Wang (Dynasty) you have done an outstanding programming and design job in getting OpenDune to this point!

I will try out some of the addon campaigns later. And maybe try to create a map myself, for the fun of it.

No direct midi support indeed, I did not even realise that until now. I am using this 4MB Voice-Crystal General Midi soundfont ($15). As used in in the Gravis Ultrasound Max and Turtle Beach Monterey/Maui. And it sounds very good and quite authentic.

PS. a tiny glitch that I noticed, is that ordering units to move by clicking on the map sometimes gets misunderstood as starting a unit selection window. (Using left click orders.)
Also after loading a game, and clicking an enemy palace, it will display "This is your palace".

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 49 of 145, by dynasty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm happy to announce Dune Dynasty v1.5. Changes include support for MIDI and rcblanke's SC-55 FLACs. You can test these out in the new jukebox!

(Instabilities due to FLACs mentioned above are fixed.)

VileRancour: reinforcement bug should be fixed, thanks.

gerwin: the previous version would begin a selection box if you held left-mouse button for a short time. I removed this behaviour altogether.

Reply 50 of 145, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIR the original dune 2 has only MT-32 music with custom profile.
When was that converted to SC-55 GM/GS ?
Is there a patch for the original Dune2 to get SC-55 support? I don't mean just simple MT-32 instrument mapping.
(Or is the SC-55 conversion just MT-32 instrument mapping?)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 51 of 145, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Version 1.5 Features:
- Add skirmish mode with random map generator."

Cool !

I never went on with making a map myself, as Dune 2 has a strange seed based map system, instead of a simple tile map.

Reply 52 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys,

Dune Dynasty v1.5.1 crashes as soon as I right click on the map to cancel a selection (I'm using "left_click_orders=1" in the config file)

The rest of the options are at their default values.

Is anyone having the same problem?

PS: I'm currently using Windows 8 x64 (although I really dislike it and I'm thinking of reverting back to Windows 7)

Regards.

Reply 56 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dynasty wrote:

Leolo: I might have found the cause. Please test out the new exe in the 1.5 directory. I'll make a proper release if it fixes it.

I've replaced the old exe with the new "leolo" one and I cannot make it crash anymore! 😀

It seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks!!

Reply 57 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:
Leolo wrote:

PS: I'm currently using Windows 8 x64 (although I really dislike it and I'm thinking of reverting back to Windows 7)

Cannot you configure it to look like win7(xp)?

There are add-ons to put the start menu back, but what I truly hate is the awful integration between Metro and Classic.

I spend all of my time at the classic desktop, and I'm extremely annoyed when I go to the VPN connections to dial into a server and cannot easily copy and paste a password from my PasswordSafe program.

There are also control panel options that can only be accessed from Metro, and viceversa. You are forced to go back and forth from one interface to the other and the integration between them is absolutely disastrous.

This OS is really an experiment in User Interface design gone horribly wrong!

Reply 58 of 145, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Also had a crash yesterday while playing a skirmish map. Using windows XP and left click orders.

Again with dunedynasty-leolo.exe

Reply 59 of 145, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have upgraded to Dune Dynasty 1.5.2 and now the game crashes again when I right click on a black zone of the map 🙁

Are you guys having the same problem?

I'd really like to use left-click orders, but it seems that the crashing problems still persist.