VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is driving me nuts. I have two pc's each with a phenom ii x4 965 @3.4ghz.

PC #1:

Sapphire am2rd790 board
Windows 7 64 bit

superpii runs in c. 20-21 seconds

PC #2

Asrock alivedual-esata2
Windows xp 32-bit

superpii runs in c. 26-27 seconds

Surely this is too great a difference?

I have tried restting bios on the asrock board, varying memory speed, nothing makes much difference.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 8, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

The 64bit OS probably makes most of the difference in speed.

This is my random shot in the dark guess. Perhaps windows 7 being a newer OS takes better advantage of the hardware.

Reply 4 of 8, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quote from AsRock site: "If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced." If the HT bus really is downclocked that much, well it seems that there is your problem.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 5 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the same superpii on each so it must be a 32bit program. What I see on the web is that running 32bit software on a 64bit OS might give a small performance drop.

And other reports seem to show 7 is not significantly faster than xp [some evidence of the reverse I think].

I was wondering if it could be the chipset. The NB frequency on the asrock is 1600mhz, its 2ghz on the sapphire.

edit: thanks aideka, I never really understood what that meant but assumed it would be true for any am3 cpu used in an am2/2+ board. But in fact the sapphire page says: "AMD 790FX chipset based PCs feature the latest HT3 2000MHz bus technology".

Guess that clinches it, it's the chipset.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use a linux / Windows live CD to rule out software differences?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I could try that. I've just bought a new asus 790fx board to replace the asrock one 😁 .

edit: wow, new mobo gives superpii at 20.7, and 3dmark1001se gives 46k compared to 33-34k before.