VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a quick update, I posted Raptor: Call of the Shadows as a request from a friend a few months ago and fixed some sets. Remember you can always contact me to let me know of any flaws =D
I also started a YouTube Channel, for those of you who are too lazy to download the sets 🤣

Reply 23 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With emulation. There is one exception though, the Archimedes set of Lemmings provided by Stefan.
I don't have real hardware of any machine so I can only provide emulated music. If anyone wishes to post specific soundtracks of games from original hardware is more than welcome to do so =)
Will be credited of course and rewarded as well.

Reply 24 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Posted two more sets from recorded from real hardware thanks again to Stefan. Namely they are Lemmings 2 and Cannon Fodder for the Archimedes. Also fixed the MT-32 and GM sets for TIM2.

But as a main update I posted the full soundtrack of The Adventures of Willy Beamish. This one took me a while to finish...
I had to manually edit the FM recordings instead, since I couldn't loop the tracks in the FM player by NRS. It was quite a hassle, but still better and easier than record in-game. ^^
If you notice anything wrong in the way the songs loop in the FM set, or if you happen to know how the songs are titled please let me know. Also let me know if any tracks in the FM set sound weird or not how they were supposed to (aside from the stereo FM that wasn’t available in-game).

Also, if you want to help and have a MT- or CM- series Roland modules (and some free time 😵 ), I attached the SMF and SysEx files, so you have half of the work done =D
Contact me beforehand though.

If you use the SMF/SysEx files anywhere or link to them, please credit me and/or my project's site, thanks.

Props for the Sierra extractor go to tikalat.

Attachments

• Filename
    Willy.7z
    File size
    202.42 KiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added Puyo Puyo Tsu to the releases with (almost) all it's ports ^^
I'm still having problems with the Windows 95 port of the game, which I can't figure out on which device it was supposed to work. If you have any knowledge of this, or have covers of the game (Win95 port) please let me know!

Oh, and before I forget, I added a GameGear set for the first PuyoPuyo and fixed the SNES set, so re-download it if you had downloaded that set in the past ^^

Also, still need help with Willy Beamish if anyone's interested =)

Reply 26 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Posted Castlevania for all of the appropriate ports ^^
Thanks again to tikalat for the utility he made for the PC version of the game =)
Also I added the Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn versions of Transport Tycoon.

Reply 27 of 56, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love the Castlevania series. 😁

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 28 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@PhaytalError: Glad you do =D

Improved tagging on the whole collection, especially the older stuff and updated everything to the "standard" I'm using now. Also fixed the MT-32/CM-32L sets for LSL1VGA LSL5 and LSL6 + added some unused tracks.
And now I just finished posting The Secret of Monkey island, with all it's ports.

If any of you guys have any original sound hardware (Amigas, Macs, IBM-PCs with sound extensions/modules, etc.) and some free time, you know the drill.
Happy new year! =D

Reply 29 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time no see!
Posted Supaplex and all it's ports, the complete soundtrack of Jazz Jackrabbit, some Gromix remixes, re-hashed through the MT-32 soundtracks of all the LSL games (and updated the YouTube videos), and finally, added MadTV's soundtrack on both IBM-PC and Amiga. Enjoy 😁

Reply 30 of 56, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can provide recordings from a real C64 (PAL, 6581R3 SID) if you don't have one or a way to safely record.
For now I recorded the Lemmings OST. All tracks have been recorded in 96khz FLAC (unedited/raw), named T01 to T10 and they loop 2 times, since the musics are short, but in future recordings you can tell me how many times you want them to loop and the file name(s).

Download link for the Lemmings OST:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w3ntdftdgvm525/Lem … 1R3%5D.rar?dl=1

If I have problems with my C64 I will tell you but for now its working. 😀

Reply 31 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CryoSID wrote:

I can provide recordings from a real C64 (PAL, 6581R3 SID) if you don't have one or a way to safely record.
For now I recorded the Lemmings OST. All tracks have been recorded in 96khz FLAC (unedited/raw), named T01 to T10 and they loop 2 times, since the musics are short, but in future recordings you can tell me how many times you want them to loop and the file name(s).

Awesome, thank you very much! 😀
I'll get to them as soon as possible and post them as well and give you credit. (you can give me a link if you'd like me to add to the post I'll make on the site, and the YT video)
If you'd like to further help with some more recordings, you can take a look here for all the games that I posted and have a C64 port. Those do primarly need to be recorded on real hardware as I don't have any unfortunately ^^;

CryoSID wrote:

If I have problems with my C64 I will tell you but for now its working. 😀

Does that mean your C64 is dying? 😢

Reply 32 of 56, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marooned_on_mars wrote:

Does that mean your C64 is dying? 😢

No, but I'm having some problems with the SID due to oxidation on the pins.
C64s also have a tendency to spontaneously die for no apparent reason.

Reply 33 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, that's too bad, never owned a C64 myself so I didn't knew, but I guess those are problems that plague most of the old electronics.
This might sound like a silly suggestion, but have you tried brushing the pins with some sandpaper? I know that usually removes the oxidation and/or rust.

But regardless, hope your C64 lasts for as long as you need it 😀

Unfortunately I didn't had any time to work on what you recorded, but I should be able to do so next week

Reply 34 of 56, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marooned_on_mars wrote:

If you'd like to further help with some more recordings, you can take a look here for all the games that I posted and have a C64 port.

The musics by Kris Hatlelid are NTSC only so unfortunately I can't record them. There's also an MSX PSG ost in the C64 category. What is that doing there? 😕

marooned_on_mars wrote:

This might sound like a silly suggestion, but have you tried brushing the pins with some sandpaper? I know that usually removes the oxidation and/or rust.

I once cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol about a year ago but at the time it didn't seem to do anything so I ended up leaving the C64 alone until a week ago and right now it doesn't seem to be giving me much trouble somehow. So... I guess it worked? 🤣

Reply 35 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CryoSID wrote:

The musics by Kris Hatlelid are NTSC only so unfortunately I can't record them. There's also an MSX PSG ost in the C64 category. What is that doing there? 😕

It was a mistake, I put the post under the wrong category. Thanks for letting me know, I haven't noticed that until now 😜

Reply 37 of 56, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a bit unfortunate that the descriptions of the songs lack most details.
For example for the General Midi recordings the Synth and Soundfont is not given. Also you write often that the Midi data was extracted from the game for the recording. Did you really checked if the extracted song plays the same as ingame? It would be safer to capture the Midi stream in dosbox to catch all data the games music engine sends.
Also for OPL2 the name of the soundcard used would be nice.
For the C64 recordings I miss the type of SID used, because it is relevant if you use a 6581 or 8580. And for the emulated SID music it would be nice to know which engine was used, e.g. if it supports resonant filters etc.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 38 of 56, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

It is a bit unfortunate that the descriptions of the songs lack most details.
For example for the General Midi recordings the Synth and Soundfont is not given.

I've tried to answer to this question of yours in one of the YT videos, but I cannot reply as I refuse to link my account with G+, and they are slowly disabling the inbox feature, so I have no way of answering anyone on any question.
The soundfont employed in GM soundtracks is always SGM-V2.01. Details about these things are present in the tags of the FLAC files, but I guess I should also write it in the video descriptions, when I'll have the time.

elianda wrote:

Also you write often that the Midi data was extracted from the game for the recording. Did you really checked if the extracted song plays the same as ingame? It would be safer to capture the Midi stream in dosbox to catch all data the games music engine sends.

Er, yes? I always check the music on all the soundtracks as I have to know for sure if it loops properly and it if sounds accurate to the original game.
The only differences that soundtracks have is when the sound drivers/engine in games weren't properly programmed (for example the MT-32 version of TIM2, or TEMIM, the former had some instruments sounding weird due to improper pitch bend, and the latter had some missing instruments due to the midi channels not being properly assigned) which were fixed with the help of a few users on these forums.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that recording midi data from DosBox usually ends up with messy midi files, and there are some games that do SFXs through GM and that gets in the way as I want to have "clean" soundtracks.

elianda wrote:

Also for OPL2 the name of the soundcard used would be nice.

For all the OPL2 soundtracks I wrote in AdLib, and just checking that you're aware of this: most of the soundtracks I post are done through emulation, not real hardware.

elianda wrote:

For the C64 recordings I miss the type of SID used, because it is relevant if you use a 6581 or 8580. And for the emulated SID music it would be nice to know which engine was used, e.g. if it supports resonant filters etc.

I grant you that, I did all the C64 soundtracks during the time when I wouldn't specify what emulators I used, so I wouldn't possibly know which chip was used, except for the CryoSID's submission. Hope that answers your concerns 😀