VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw another post on this subject on another forum, that made me think as I'm in the same boat:

I keep my laptop mostly plugged in, so the battery doesn't get used. So to keep the battery viable (not charged as such, just working so that I can charge it up beforehand if I'm going to take the laptop away with me) am I better taking the battery out (I imagine so), or leaving it in the laptop all the time? I've heard things like you're best having the battery with 33% of it's charge, then storing it in the freezer (!), as somehow that does the most to keep the battery viable, but I've no idea what's true and what's not.

What is the best thing I can do with the battery, to prolong it's lifetime even though I'd rarely have to use it, since the laptop is kept plugged in most of the time and rarely leaves the house?

Reply 1 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my opinion if you want to have the battery in laptop, make sure it will get charged only when the charge drops below a certain amount. I have it set to 50% in my Thinkpad so the battery only charges after it drops below 50%. Use the battery occasionally so that it drops below the charging point (but never empty it completely) and then recharge it fully.
Or yes, keep it partially charged outside (probably not necessarily the freezer, but it should be a cool place).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 5, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you have one of those older laptops that will constantly charge the battery, take it out and leave it out until you use it... downside is, if you have a power blip or kick the cord out, then your laptop just powers off immediately

Li-Ion batteries store best at full charge... I'm not sure about the freezer thing, so you should look up on it
NiCad batteries store best at no/low charge

ultimately, for any battery, heat kills it... so if you have a cooler fan, you can use it to keep the battery cool too

Reply 3 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was always told if you don't have a battery conditioner that you should always fully discharge then fully charge the battery every so often to keep it from developing a "memory" where it establishes a lower than normal charge threshold as "full" when it could potentially store more energy.

Reply 4 of 5, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old NiCd type batteries had memory effect. The newer NiMh had it greatly reduced and Li-whatever generally do not have it.

There are 3 things that hurt current Li-whatever batteries:
- overcharging it (the charger stops charging when it detects that cells burst, so effectively every full charge damages the battery a little)
- undercharging it (the firmware of the battery will actually prevent you from fully discharging the battery...but if you empty it and leave it on the shelf, the self discharge can empty the cells and they won't reactivate anymore)
- heat (over 30°C)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 5 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Memeory effect isn't really a problem in any sort of equipment most people will be using.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.