VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am wondering why I cannot find much comment on the recent trend to make user interfaces appear so white and bright.

I spend time with a technical drawing application called AutoCAD and it had, and still has, the tradition to draw white lines on a black background. This color arrangement is automatically inverted when printing. It is a good thing.
The colors from the Windows Classic UI (from 95 to XP) were entirely adjustable. It even allows changing the white background of documents to a more calm light grey. This setting is automatically obeyed in the Microsoft office applications, up to version 2000 at least, not sure about 2003. Any other images such as icons and photos retain their original appearance.

Most modern Interface overhauls are no longer like this. Like the windows XP and 7 stock UI themes, and popular websites such as Wikipedia, Google and Outlook-Web-App, facebook too.
Actually, several programs now use icons that are specifically aimed at being shown on a white UI, because on a darker background you see white edges which are part of the icons.

Fortunately Vogons looks fine.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose dark background went out with the trend towards WYSIWYG.

gerwin wrote:

Fortunately Vogons looks fine.

It doesn't look right at all on my big-screen TV for some reason. Something to do with the picture-sharpness features or something causes all the text to have some weird, bright outline.

Reply 4 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

It doesn't look right at all on my big-screen TV for some reason. Something to do with the picture-sharpness features or something causes all the text to have some weird, bright outline.

That's definitely a "feature" of TV screens. As you suspected, you can generally fix it by twiddling with any sharpness related settings, and tuning off any PATENTED-SHARPNESS-ENHANCE-MAGIC type features.

That might negatively affect the way actual TV programs look though, I'm not too sure.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I suppose dark background went out with the trend towards WYSIWYG.

Not everyone wants to stare at a bright screen pretending to be paper. Don't equate this with Hotdog Stand.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read about users complaining on the bright appearance of the new MS Office 2013. Some resorted to lowering overall monitor brightness, another solved things by wearing sunglasses.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dark backgrounds are definitely easier on the eyes than bright ones. Sure, WYSIWYG is great when you intend to print something, but why should that dictate the UI for all the other aspects of using a computer? I'm writing this post in a text editor just to copy-paste it into vogons - I certainly have no need to visualize it in paper form while a blinding white background burns itself into my retinas. It's possible to customize the colors, but when a program is designed with a black-on-white interface in mind, doing that can be a major a pain in the ass.

Another UI trend I'm not fond of is this recent tendency to space everything out, use double line heights for text, and have a huge amount of padding around everything. I don't mean using larger fonts/icons to take advantage of higher resolution screens... it's how there's just so much more useless freaking empty space between all the UI elements.
Like the default setting in gmail since last year's redesign, which halves the number of inbox items you can see without having to scroll (luckily you can change it back to a "compact" view). Or phpMyAdmin, if anyone here uses that - older versions had neat forms that fit nicely in your browser's viewport, but recent ones have freaking horrible themes with pantloads of padding, requiring you to scroll so much that it actively wastes your time.

Maybe touch screen devices are driving this particular trend, because they need more margin for error since people's big fat fingers aren't nearly as precise as a mouse cursor, or something.

SquallStrife wrote:

That's definitely a "feature" of TV screens. As you suspected, you can generally fix it by twiddling with any sharpness related settings, and tuning off any PATENTED-SHARPNESS-ENHANCE-MAGIC type features.
That might negatively affect the way actual TV programs look though, I'm not too sure.

Turning it off might have a perceived "negative" effect if you're used to the artificial sharpening, but you still a get a better (more faithful) reproduction of the original image. A friend of mine has the same problem with his Samsung HDTV; text (and anything else with frequent high contrast) looks completely off, and as far as we've found, there isn't even a way to disable the "feature" in this particular TV.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]