VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a heads-up that I've posted a new episode of Silicon Classics to my YouTube channel that reviews the Forte VFX1 headgear, a virtual reality gaming helmet from 1995.

This episode was literally months in the making and will probably be the last video I post for a while. I hope you have as much fun watching it as I had making it!

Last edited by SiliconClassics on 2012-11-17, 20:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's my friend Courtney - she's credited at the end of the video and has a profile on voice123.com here. She's quite a person - Mensa member, acts in her spare time, and would probably be happy to do more voiceover work on other YouTube videos, so feel free to contact her.

Reply 5 of 9, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's very neat! Really good job on the video and voice. Any chance you might upload a higher res version? The current one mostly looks clear for 360p though.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 9, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! 480p is the best I've got for this video. Some of the footage was shot in HD, but due to the low resolution of many of the newsreel & promo clips I composed the project at 854 x 480.

Reply 7 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That video was nice to watch! And it had some info I didn't even know yet, I was very young when the VR craze hit the market and I kinda missed out on it all.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very good video! Awesome!

Btw, regarding HD material. Youtube have higher bitrates on that stuff. If you upscale a 360p video to 1080p and then upload it on Youtube the 1080p version will look better than 360 or 480p in the Youtube player even if the original material was 360p. Youtube unfortunately use heavier compression on the lower resolution modes. This all ofc depends on the source material. If it's lossless material in 480p than you'll see bigger difference using this method.

As an example I uploaded for myself earlier, take a look at this Tomb Raider video that was captured lossless at 320x200. It got HEAVY pixelation which causes lot of constant movement in the picture. This results in havoc for the compression algorithms. Take a look how big the quality difference is between Original, 720p, and 360p. Original is not "original" lossless quality, but a step above 1080p in resolution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEb9WDDZtA

Your friend, you say she probably would be happy to do voice overs in other Youtube videos. Looking at her page it seems she does it professionally?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 9, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I'll see about re-sizing it and maybe U/L'ing at 720p.

As for Courtney, she is an actress by training but she does not earn a living doing V/O work, so she's open to working in a non-professional capacity for a modest fee in order to expand her portfolio. If you'd like her voice in your video just contact her, she's quite pleasant.