VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people are more comfortable with hardware, some people are more comfortable with software, I thought it would be neat to see everyone's thoughts on this.

So which are YOU most comfortable with?

For me, I'm definitely a software person. I CAN do hardware work if I have to, but if problems occur then I often get stumped for a moment trying to figure out how to solve it, plus I always feel like I'm gonna electroshock something (even though I never have).

Whereas when it comes to software, having been programming since early 1993 when I was 10 years old, I can get virtually any old program running if I absolutely have to and I've even had success with hacking things, such as adding 1280x1024 resolution support into the PC version of Wipeout XL. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am a hardware person as I like having my hands on something tangible rather than something that only exists as electrons in a circuit. Hardware is simple and easy to understand while software is made to be over complicated as well bloated.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also more a hardware person. Sure, I can handle software somewhat fine (with the help of google 😜 ) and I can find solutions to software problems that way, but hardware is really more my thing 😁
I'd say I'm hardware/software like 65/35 or so 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I don't like to solder.

Me nether. And I don't like printer problems also 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 29, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely hardware, due to my electronics background.
I've done a few things in Borland TurboC++ and Arduino but I don't consider myself a good programmer.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 7 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Hardware for sure, I like tinkering with computers parts quite a bit 😁. Software, not so much (if it's simple and and easy, OK. Otherwise, forget it 😒 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 11 of 29, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hardware and software.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neither do much without the other, so I play with both equally I'd say. I like the problem solving aspect of computers, which is probably why I'm still messing around with 486's 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 29, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hardware guy, I was performing upgrades since I was 10yo, like Gemini but on the hardware !

The only software I need is: drivers for the sound and graphics in GAMES!
An OS also comes handy sometimes 😉

Reply 14 of 29, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hardware. It's the least stressful. You slap some crap together and it goes. Software is getting closer to being like that. If you're always busy, it's nice to just have a cheap computer, and if it breaks, the next one is just the same. Everything important is in the cloud so no worries.

Reply 15 of 29, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to solder, the "pshhht " of flux vaporizing as the fresh solder melts and bonds about is a wonderful thing.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 18 of 29, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the results of this have not been too surprising to me. I kinda felt going into it that I was one of the minority who was more comfortable with software over hardware, which is part of the reason why I started the thread, to see if my thoughts on that were correct.

I also kinda realized that most people who are more comfortable with software over hardware tend to be programmers. I myself started writing code when I was 10 years old, while the very first time I worked on the inside of a computer I was 16. (Swapped a dead CD drive for a new one.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 19 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Well, the results of this have not been too surprising to me. I kinda felt going into it that I was one of the minority who was more comfortable with software over hardware, which is part of the reason why I started the thread, to see if my thoughts on that were correct.

I also kinda realized that most people who are more comfortable with software over hardware tend to be programmers. I myself started writing code when I was 10 years old, while the very first time I worked on the inside of a computer I was 16. (Swapped a dead CD drive for a new one.)

It's not that I don't like software per se, but I'm just not very good at it. I can't code (though I can do some copypaste in existing code) and I mainly use software to get my hardware going.
For instance, I've had fun using a slipstreamed version of XP on some of my rigs and experimenting with that, but that was mainly to get the software to behave more to my liking.
That said, I'm not a hardware guru either, but hardware is definitely where the majority of my interest is.

I use my rigs mainly to play games (except for my primary rig, which I use for the usual day to day stuff).

Report spammers here!