VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 89, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not many sadly but I did see that there were some that had gaming channels on youtube but that place is different. I wish there was more people in general that enjoyed retro gaming that wasn't 30+ already.

It does seem kind of odd in the sense that almost all the games can be downloaded and played on emulation. They're freely available to any 14 yo kid who wishes to play them. Not like they magically stopped existing after 1992 or whatever.[/quote]

Reply 22 of 89, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not many sadly but I did see that there were some that had gaming channels on youtube but that place is different. I wish there was more people in general that enjoyed retro gaming that wasn't 30+ already.

It does seem kind of odd in the sense that almost all the games can be downloaded and played on emulation. They're freely available to any 14 yo kid who wishes to play them. Not like they magically stopped existing after 1992 or whatever.

Reply 23 of 89, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Surely, I can't be the only one. 🤣 I mean, I know I'm in a minority considering that I play stuff like Unreal Tournament and Carmageddon while other people my age salivate over the latest Call of Duty/Halo/whatever, but it can't be THAT unusual, is it? 😜

I could get some younger dudes at work into Postal2. I'm sure they'll love Carmageddon.

Reply 25 of 89, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd imagine today's teenagers (born 95-97) would feel indifferent about any of these retro PCs, and only care about the 'big' apogee/id ones "wow duke nukem boobies ha ha i got balls of steel" or "WoW I'm playing DOOM!!! BADASS GAME *loads furrysex.wad*", if any care at all. The only game that might fit their little narrow popular subject matter preference would be the obscure FPS game Last Rites and the now frankly overrated Blood, because HOLY SHIT ITS ZOMBIES.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 89, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I'd imagine today's teenagers (born 95-97) would feel indifferent about any of these retro PCs, and only care about the 'big' apogee/id ones "wow duke nukem boobies ha ha i got balls of steel" or "WoW I'm playing DOOM!!! BADASS GAME *loads furrysex.wad*", if any care at all. The only game that might fit their little narrow popular subject matter preference would be the obscure FPS game Last Rites and the now frankly overrated Blood, because HOLY SHIT ITS ZOMBIES.

Hahahahahaha!!@!! Its quite late and i had at least a couple beers too much but I dont think Im off the chart when i say you make some downright awesome posts sometimes.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 27 of 89, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding Classic Games:

Well, it's nice to see there are some good teenagers interested in the true classics, and not being carried away by the so many me-too eye-candy, mostly 3D/FPS/TPS games rampant nowadays.

It's not to say all new games are bad or so-so...but they just can't make games like those days anymore. The days of innovations are being exhausted, and now companies are just milking the already established genres for money.

I still play both oldies and new ones, but there is something special with the classic EGA/VGA blocky sprites and MT-32/Adlib/Sound Blaster music. It's still amazing how much of deep gameplay they could cram into few kb or few MB of files and still able to deliver months of enjoyment. I've been hooked to DOS games for more than two and a half decades now. Maybe this is what they say - nostalgia. (RPGs, making maps, noting down important clues on a piece of paper, etc...)

Coming back to topic, I think all the young teens who have been impressed by retro PC games, are all deserving respect by the Vogons community. These are special teens who can identify the greats from the mediocres.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 28 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

This post made my day. 🤣

filipetolhuizen wrote:

I could get some younger dudes at work into Postal2. I'm sure they'll love Carmageddon.

I still haven't tried Postal 2 yet, shockingly enough. Is it as awesome as everyone makes it out to be? 😁

Reply 29 of 89, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I still haven't tried Postal 2 yet, shockingly enough. Is it as awesome as everyone makes it out to be? 😁

If you can handle a sickening blend of excessive violence and dark humor, then yes, it's awesome. Never seen any other game you could pee on everyone in the streets or use cat as weapon silencers, among other stuff better left untold. 🤐

Last edited by filipetolhuizen on 2013-01-04, 02:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 31 of 89, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally, I can't even find any 30-somethings that are into retrocomputing. Breaking out the NES or Genesis is usually well received, but try getting an adult to play Scorched Earth or Tyrian with you.

Reply 32 of 89, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hatta wrote:

Personally, I can't even find any 30-somethings that are into retrocomputing. Breaking out the NES or Genesis is usually well received, but try getting an adult to play Scorched Earth or Tyrian with you.

True that. None of my friends enjoy retrogaming. One of em tends to not dislike older games when the gameplay is good though and the graphics aren't too old-looking.

And I've tried, but they were like "Ok, nice....so can we go play FEAR/UT3/BF2 now plz?" 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 89, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was into retro-gaming when I was still in high-school but I wasn't really into retro-computing at that time. Now in my early 20s, I thoroughly enjoy both.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 35 of 89, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm 20 and I'm a retrocomputing nut.

My first computer was a Cyrix 486 machine (386 mobo), and for the last few years, I've been collecting every piece of retro hardware I can get my hands on.

I also have a huge infatuation with 90s hacker culture and the demoscene. My old computer book collection is freaking massive.

Reply 36 of 89, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RepoOne wrote:

I'm 20

My first computer was a Cyrix 486 machine (386 mobo),

Whooot?

2003: 10 years old and a 386?

I'd like to hear more!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 89, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm 16, and as far as I know, I'm the only old school computer guru from my area. I fell in love with old school computers about 5 years ago, when I dug out my parent's Gateway 2000 desktop from 1998 (don't remember the model, but it had a Pentium-MMX 233, 64MB SD-RAM, flatbed case, onboard ATi Rage II). Our family used that until ~2003 when we got an AMD Athlon XP machine (still have it laying around). Anyways, when I dug the old Gateway out of a closet, It booted up into Windows 98 without problems, despite it using the, from what I've read, garbage Quantum Fireball as an OS drive. At the time, I had a Compaq Presario desktop with an Intel Celeron 2.53GHz (still have it, it was a socket 478 CPU) and 512MB DDR, and from what I remember, I was on the Gateway PC more than my main computer! I played games such as Simcity 3000, Chex Quest , Quake, Need for Speed High Stakes, and MS Flight Sim '95. Unfortunately, the Quantum hard drive gave out a couple months ago.

Since then, I've built my own custom PC (went from a Celeron to a Core 2 Quad Q8200), bought a 486DX-2 PC, started programming (Mainly C, and using Turbo C as the compiler), and hopefully when I can get some cash I build an AMD 5x86 Dream Machine or something along those lines 🤣.

The demoscene is also something that has peaked my interests, not to make demos or construct a demogroup, but as a form of entertainment. PC MS-DOS demos from 1990-1998 are the most interesting (at least for me), my personal favorite demos would be "Second Reality" by Future Crew, "Crystal Dream II" by Triton, and "Dope" by Complex. These three are my favorites because they brought out the true power of the PC, and of course, they used the Gravis Ultrasound, which I've pretty much fell in love with haha.

But anyways, enough rambling from me, hopefully more teenagers/people with the same interests as myself will post in this thread 😀

Reply 38 of 89, by RepoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Whooot? […]
Show full quote
RepoOne wrote:

I'm 20

My first computer was a Cyrix 486 machine (386 mobo),

Whooot?

2003: 10 years old and a 386?

I'd like to hear more!

Well, I always like to talk about my history with computers, and what better day to do so than my birthday?

My family was always a little behind the times technologically.

When I was around 2.5/3 years old (1995-1996), my family bought their first computer from some small local shop run out of a garage. This is, as far as I know, my first memory. Rather fitting, considering that my life has generally revolved around computers ever since.

It was a rather modest machine, a Cyrix 486 (more info in another thread), with 8MB of RAM and standard VGA graphics. We had some floppies of games that came with it, and one of them had Commander Keen. The other had Blake Stone. Those were my first two games. I didn't know they were out of date, I wasn't really concerned with it. I was 3-5 years old during that time. I'm still amazed I was able to navigate DOS and Windows 3.1 on my own; I guess kids will do whatever it takes to play their games.

So, I spent a decent bit of my early childhood playing Apogee and Epic Megagames video games on a 486. I still play them to this day, and that computer still works to this day.

Starting out with a computer like that gave me an interest in collecting older machines as I got older, and now I have a few Commodore machines, an SGI box, and tons of x86 machines from various eras. I could always use another 386/486 machine (the only working one I have is my first computer), but they're hard to find, surprisingly enough.

I also have an obsession with the demoscene (tracker music, programming in assembly) and 90s hacker culture (2600, Phrack, old-school viruses, all of that good stuff), but that's a different story that I might elaborate on later, when I have more time to write.

Reply 39 of 89, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for sharing and happy BDay!

I don't have happy memories when I hear Cyrix. I was also a teenager and fell for a sales spiel. I honestly believed it was a real 486. When I got it, it benchmarked slower than a 486DX-33. It was only later through VOGONS that I learnt that it was just a tuned 386 🙁

But this taught me to stick with good brands like Intel, Nvidia. Creative, Logitech, Roland, Asus and I haven't had issues every since.

Back then there was no Internet and the magazines didin't test things as detailed as I liked.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel