Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:
Joey_sw wrote:

i wish there more alternative than just two AMD & intel for compatible x86 CPU just like it how was before the P3 era

You do realize that VIA is still alive, don't you? 😁

Bah! They cater to the integrated and HTPC markets where a lot of CPU horsepower isn't a prime requirement. A VIA chip would suck for modern gaming use.

Reply 41 of 43, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A VIA chip would suck for modern gaming use.

No sh*t, Sherlock? 😁

Well he was asking for "more alternative than just two" and there you go... To be honest unless these low-watt VIA chips (miniITX packages, more like) go super-affordable (i.e. somewhere between $100 and a Raspberry Pi) I don't know how are they going to survive the next five years. Reason is this, this and then 10 watts Haswell.

But I know y'all miss the Cyrix 6x86, don't you. 😉

Reply 42 of 43, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Following current trends, usage and the fact most users can get enough computing power from most machines on store shelves, i wouldn't be surprised if one day, motherboards are merely a set of ports leading to a central chip and some ram sockets. Each year, more and more formerly external components get integrated.

However, if it calms down anyone, Intel has publicly said they are committed to providing sockets. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_s … ted_sockets2012

Reply 43 of 43, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, how about another round of "Intel to take over NVDIA" rumor (with Jen Hsun Huang as CEO)?

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/12/ … o-of-intel.aspx

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)