Common searches

Intel to take over the world?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 43, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The north bridge has already been fully integrated into sandy bridge CPUs. It looks on Intel's Haswell CPU they will start doing away with south bridge as well. After everything has been integrated into the CPU core it will be easy for intel to kill off desktop motherboard manufacturers. Intel never passes on an opportunity to eliminate competition.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 43, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

or maybe AMD becomes the enthusiast's part, while Intel drops it all to stalk the big game...

The problem is: I'm not sure how long AMD would last. The company, I mean. 😢

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 43, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There were quite a few 486SX-25s soldered to motherboards back in the 486 days. Those were mainly in OEM systems though.

I personally wouldn't want a soldered CPU. Not because I would upgrade, but more because I am very picky about my CPU and motherboard combos when I build. Let's just say intel doesn't exactly have a reputation for reasonable prices and features when it comes to motherboards.

It wouldn't mean that motherboard makers suddenly disappeared. Gigabyte, Asus, Zotac, and many others make motherboards with soldered-on Atom CPUs.

Atom is a small segment of the market but to have to make a production run of mainstream motherboards mounting one speed of Intel CPU and then have to do another production run for every other speed is a PITA and complicates their ordering and inventory. So let's say Gigabyte produces 100,000 motherboards with a certain speed processor on them because Intel tells them this is going to be the hot selling model but Intel's predictions turn out to be wrong, the economy goes south, the market moves in another direction or whatever. Now Gigabyte has 100,000 motherboards with soldered on CPU's that aren't selling and clogging up their inventory and reducing their available capital. If the CPU's weren't soldered on, they would still be able to sell their motherboards and let the buyers add their own CPU but now desoldering the CPU and soldering on another one that is easier to sell becomes an expensive and complicated process that loses them money or else they have to discount those boards until they find buyers for them which also loses them money. It was bad enough when Intel went to a pinless design and shifted that expense from themselves to the motherboard manufacturers but the complications this is going to bring about are going to be a logistical nightmare.

Reply 25 of 43, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if somehow intel allow BGA CPU to sold to end-users (but come-on, only elite hi-tech consumers that might have access to precise soldering process that required to install the BGA ...),
would BGA-to-LGA adapter might be available somewhat?

-fffuuu

Reply 27 of 43, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that AMD will make it for another two years or so but eventually the market will be consolidated and there will only be one company, won't be isolated to just one industry.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 28 of 43, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Stuff

Yeah, I dig all that, but maybe there is more information we're not getting yet?

Maybe BGA pushes down the cost so much that they only need, say, one budget CPU, one mainstream CPU, and one high-end CPU?

They're nearly at that point anyway, with Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7. Within each of those the models are separated by increments of 100MHz. Not even worth mentioning once you factor in turbo boost and whatnot.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 29 of 43, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
Yeah, I dig all that, but maybe there is more information we're not getting yet? […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Stuff

Yeah, I dig all that, but maybe there is more information we're not getting yet?

Maybe BGA pushes down the cost so much that they only need, say, one budget CPU, one mainstream CPU, and one high-end CPU?

They're nearly at that point anyway, with Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7. Within each of those the models are separated by increments of 100MHz. Not even worth mentioning once you factor in turbo boost and whatnot.

The problem is the cost of the failed boards inflating the price of the working samples even if the individual production costs are low. So it can very easily push prices higher than they are now and it will allow for Intel to charge even more for the high end models. People complain how 2011 i7 hex cores are so expensive yet don't realize just how easily those early Pentium 2 prices and Pentium Pro prices could easily return. Paying $3k or more for a top of the line BGA system when $750-$1500 two or three years before could have easily matched is crazy but people will fork out because they are thin like the new iMacs.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 30 of 43, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Yeah, I dig all that, but maybe there is more information we're not getting yet? […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Stuff

The reason why they have those increments is so Intel can sell parts that fail at the higher speeds. For them to eliminate a lot of speed grades between the top and the bottom and consolidating to only 2 or 3 speeds means that they will have to sell a lot of parts at a much lower speed grade than they are capable of and they would have to charge less for them. Intel is not going to sell a part for less money when they don't have to, and if they were to do that, don't think you would be able to just buy the cheaper part, crank up the bus speed, and get that extra performance for nothing. They would lock out overclocking and make you buy an unlock code like they did a few years back.

Reply 32 of 43, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK! Intel counters AMD's response. This is good. Our chatter may have an effect... we'll see. I'm not encouraged [and was surprised by] all the talk around here about the supposed advantages of the alternate computing systems, but so be it.

Reply 33 of 43, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

I'm not encouraged [and was surprised by] all the talk around here about the supposed advantages of the alternate computing systems, but so be it.

People with differing views, blasphemy!

😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 35 of 43, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The sad fact is that enthusiasts don't matter much. Intel will probably save more by not spending money on sockets than they will lose if every enthusiast jumps ship to AMD.

The real scary thing if this does happen though, is how little choice we'll have in motherboards. Today if there are X number of CPUs and Y number of boards vendors only have to stock X+Y CPUs to give us X*Y options. If we can't mix and match, we're probably stuck with X or Y options, whichever is greater.

Plus, if Intel cuts out the motherboard manufacturers that's going to make it a lot easier for Microsoft to lock down the platform in the future. If they want to enforce secure boot on x86 today they have to confince half a dozen manufacturers to go along with it. If Intel is the only OEM, that's only one entity they have to convince, and what are you going to do if you don't like it?

The next decade or so is going to be a very bad time to be a computer hobbyist.

Reply 37 of 43, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All this kind of reminds me of when I switched from Commodore 64 to PCs. I Used the C64 much longer than I "should" have - well into the 486 era. And it was of course a MAJOR change. Point is = I have a feeling what is coming is an equally big jump - the newer chips and operating systems are going to be as foreign and as far from what we have now as that first PC was.....

Reply 39 of 43, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joey_sw wrote:

i wish there more alternative than just two AMD & intel for compatible x86 CPU just like it how was before the P3 era

You do realize that VIA is still alive, don't you? 😁