VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The goal: connecting the MIDI-OUT of a pure DOS PC to the MIDI-IN of a soundfont-running PC, so pure DOS games can run their MIDI music using soundfont.

The first question: since it seems there are not many modern sound cards have MIDI-IN capability, can USB-MIDI converter cable work as MIDI-IN? Ergo, if I connect a DOS PC's standard MIDI cable into a modern PC's USB-MIDI converter, can the modern PC receive MIDI signal from the DOS PC?

So, here is the requirements:

(a) the soundfont appliance should be powerful enough to process MIDI songs without lagging, stuttering, or crackling.

(b) the soundfont appliance should be quiet. It shouldn't use active cooling fan if possible.

(c) small form factor is preferable, so it could sit nicely with typical hardware synth like Roland MT-32 or SC-55.

(d) the soundfont appliance should be able to be shut down using power button (ATX power switch software shutdown). I guess all modern mobo support it, do they not?

And, here is the questions:

(1) should I better use Linux or Windows? Regarding to requirement (d), is it more difficult to configure Linux to work with ATX shutdown?

(2) Intel or AMD? Intel is more suitable for games, has better single-core performance, but it seems AMD is not bad in scientific computing and video encoding (unless we compare it to I7). Which one matters more to soundfont processing?

(3) Fluidsynth or Timidity?

(4) Should I better use dedicated sound card, or can I use the mobo's built-in AC97 sound card? If the latter, then I guess it's more difficult to meet requirement (c).

(5) How much does multiple core and 64 bit matter when playing MIDI using large soundfonts?

It seems if I'm using Linux, I can theoritically compile the soundfont software specifically for multicore and 64 bit, but would it matter? And more importantly, can it be done?

I'm also thinking of using mini barebones like this one, but considering they typically use Atom-like processor, I don't think it's powerful enough to run soundfont smoothly. (Hell, I even have this kinda problem running on Core i5).

So, any suggestions? Many thanks.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

A,1,2 - a modern PC that should comply with b and c should be powerful enough. If you want c, then that what's gonna set those, since you must first look for the case, which normally come with a custom mobo which will set whether you can use intel or amd. Small cases heve mostly the quiet problem solved or not (comes into play when you go watch for the case). 4. whatever you fancy but honestly since the midi soundfont conversion is done in software you only need a line out. So onboard should be good.
64bit doesn't matter just which OS you want to use. Multicore probably will just mess with sond sync or probably doesn't matter, depends on whether 3. can handle multithreads. I *think* you can make linux more likely to shut down reliably than Windows.
3. fluidsynth probably since that is in active development.

But first try it out with a normal desktop pc. Go from big to small. Try the usb interface (software needs to be able to handle the midi-in from USB -again more likely that fluidsyth may do that).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:
A,1,2 - a modern PC that should comply with b and c should be powerful enough. If you want c, then that what's gonna set those, […]
Show full quote

A,1,2 - a modern PC that should comply with b and c should be powerful enough. If you want c, then that what's gonna set those, since you must first look for the case, which normally come with a custom mobo which will set whether you can use intel or amd. Small cases heve mostly the quiet problem solved or not (comes into play when you go watch for the case). 4. whatever you fancy but honestly since the midi soundfont conversion is done in software you only need a line out. So onboard should be good.
64bit doesn't matter just which OS you want to use. Multicore probably will just mess with sond sync or probably doesn't matter, depends on whether 3. can handle multithreads. I *think* you can make linux more likely to shut down reliably than Windows.
3. fluidsynth probably since that is in active development.

But first try it out with a normal desktop pc. Go from big to small. Try the usb interface (software needs to be able to handle the midi-in from USB -again more likely that fluidsyth may do that).

I see, thanks.

So it is more about software. Probably my problem here is more related to BASSMIDI Driver than anything else.

As for the interface, I think this should work.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bookmark: it seems I need alsa to run fluidsynth with USB MIDI. Will study further.