VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Greetings everyone from snowy Russia, and sorry if I've chosen the wrong forum to post this — I'm a newbie.

I've always been interested in old hardware and its capabilities, as well as the software optimizations that allow ruining modern stuff on powerless systems.

As I'm sure you know, Vista (and 7) requires i686, so there is no way you can run it on the original Pentium. However, I managed to find the last "public" beta build that would run on i586, and it successfully worked on my old Thinkpad laptop.

If anyone is interested, I would be happy to share my experience and perhaps find some answers to my questions regarding this, frankly, stupid idea.

IBM ThinkPad 390
Intel Pentium MMX 233 MHz
256 + 64 MB PC100 SDRAM
Windows Vista Beta 2 Build 5384

Screenshots:

4555f460a929.png

99c653ea69c1.png

afdce798f0d5.png

Reply 2 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How slow is it? Maybe you can record some footage with a camcorder?

I ran win98se in a pentium overdrive clocked at 8mhz and it was glacially slow. Took several minutes to draw a window.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 8, by sin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SquallStrife
Thank you 😀
DonutKing

How slow is it?

It's... Alright 😀 Much slower than XP, obviously, but completely bearable. This thing has a 2.5 MB NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV videocard, which isn't supported in Vista, so the CPU has also to draw the windows and stuff. Start menu opens immediately, for some reason (that's the only thing that opens immediately). Windows Explorer, which became much heavier in Vista, is slow: if I need to do something with files, I use 7-Zip file manager instead. Opening computer properties takes about 10-15 seconds, folders are a bit quicker. After a very intensive diet (currently I don't have the screenshot, but it uses about 120 MB of RAM after loading), when idle, it doesn't thrash the CPU, RAM or HDD at all. For some reason, it even manages to score some points over the XP result in WinRAR benchmark (of course the other applications run slower, a lot slower).
Sadly, this build was done before the 5472, which showed some dramatic improvements in speed. Maybe this and the fact that it runs on i686 only are somehow connected, though.

Maybe you can record some footage with a camcorder?

Yes I can 😀 I'll upload it asap

I ran win98se in a pentium overdrive clocked at 8mhz and it was glacially slow. Took several minutes to draw a window.

That's gotta be slow, 🤣... Compared to MMX@233 it's, what, 30 or 40 times less powerful?..
F2bnp

Does it run Crysis?

Yes, on High 😀 Around 25 fps I'm getting

Some questions:
1) The chipset seems to be 430TX (judging by the specs and CPU-Z), Intel and other sources say it supports up to 256 MB of RAM. How much does it actually support? 384? 512?
2) My main problem is this. There's something wrong with the IDE controller (or the vista driver) because the time it takes to load is amazing: more than 2 hours. It starts fine, then loads some drivers (you can see the progress bar struggling to run and the HDD led blinking), then the led freezes (as if the HDD had a bad sector) and the progress bar runs smoothly for the next 1.5 hours or so. Then some miracle takes place, led starts to blink again, progress bar slows down, and some three or five minutes later it's done.
XP doesn't do that.
I tried to:
- replace the hard drive (even though this one was fine), I bought a Transcend 32 GB IDE SSD (nothing changed)
- use intelide.sys (nothing changed)
- use pciide.sys (nothing changed)
- run in safe mode (nothing changed)
- replace drivers with the ones from XP (BSOD)
- install and run WPT to trace the boot sequence (BSOD)
WinPE (the installation disc, I mean) has the same problem, only for 15 minutes instead of 2 hours.
3) I don't understand what is wrong with the peripherals (this happens both in XP and Vista, and Linux). It has a USB port, but if I plug in a flash drive, it's fine right until I want to do something with it. I can copy about 2-3 MB of data, and then it hangs the application that was doing it, and I won't be able to close it at all. And it won't show me the device manager. And it won't turn off properly. Yes, I did update the BIOS. Also, to connect to the Internet, I use a PCMCIA wi-fi card, it works fine, except for one really strange bug: I can't upload anything. Any browser, any website, any size - the upload process hangs on 100% forever. How is that even possible, I don't know. I mean, HTTP is quite a high-level protocol for the hardware to be able to make this sort of problem, am I right?

Reply 5 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sin wrote:

F2bnp

Does it run Crysis?

This I seriously doubt. With a 233MMX and the pathetic integrated video in use on laptops from that time period I doubt Crysis would even install. There weren't many systems on the market at the time that Crysis was released that could sustain 25fps with all settings on high so no system that old is going to be able to do it. Most of your system resources are going to be going into just running Vista, you won't have much left for games. Open up task manager and see what your CPU usage is with just Vista running. I'll bet it never dips below 80% at idle.

However, if 686 instructions are required on the official release version, that means it should run on a Pentium Pro, right?

Reply 6 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
sin wrote:

F2bnp

Does it run Crysis?

This I seriously doubt. With a 233MMX and the pathetic integrated video in use on laptops from that time period I doubt Crysis would even install. There weren't many systems on the market at the time that Crysis was released that could sustain 25fps with all settings on high so no system that old is going to be able to do it. Most of your system resources are going to be going into just running Vista, you won't have much left for games. Open up task manager and see what your CPU usage is with just Vista running. I'll bet it never dips below 80% at idle.

However, if 686 instructions are required on the official release version, that means it should run on a Pentium Pro, right?

You do realise we were just poking fun at each other right 😜?

Reply 8 of 8, by sin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TheMANThinPC is basically a 7 with a few services removed... I've done to this Vista much more than that to make it run smoothly and have a real "idle" mode (0% disk usage, 2-5% CPU usage). Besides, that's still a 7, so it won't run on i586 no matter what...