VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just ordered a SEGA Saturn and totally can't wait for it to get here! I'm a longtime SEGA fanboy that always wanted a Saturn.

I've been playing some ROM's with SSF to see what games I wanna buy. Some of the Japanese imports are really amazing!

Anyone know of a cheap method to play Japanese imports on a US console? I see some carts and modchips, but both are pretty pricy!

How-To Region Switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKW0Tw7gVFs

16kovx1.jpg

2hg7dqb.jpg

Last edited by simbin on 2012-12-16, 11:45. Edited 2 times in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 2 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Vampire Savior.

Thanks, I'll check it out! So many of these games I haven't heard of. Back when the Saturn was out, I was too was busy running around.

Reply 3 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the (almost solderless) chip I got: http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm

I picked up the 4MB RAM expansion as well.

That chip doesn't region-unlock your Saturn though, you need a BIOS mod for that, OR you can rip your games, change the region, and re-burn them.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

This is the (almost solderless) chip I got: http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm

I picked up the 4MB RAM expansion as well.

That chip doesn't region-unlock your Saturn though, you need a BIOS mod for that, OR you can rip your games, change the region, and re-burn them.

Yeah, I saw the Racketboy chip. That chip is seriously overpriced, as is all their products IMO. I'm hoping to find something cheaper. $30 is what I have into the whole system, cables, controllers. I'd hate to spend that much on just the modchip.

Reply 5 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly Racketboy is probably the only place left that stocks the chips. I think you got pretty lucky spending so little on a Saturn setup.

Reply 6 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Sadly Racketboy is probably the only place left that stocks the chips. I think you got pretty lucky spending so little on a Saturn setup.

Yeah, I waited a long time before I pulled the trigger on this one. The video cable will need to be repaired or replaced. And I need to open up the controllers and clean some sticky buttons. I don't mind putting in the extra effort to save some bucks though.

Reply 7 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I may be biased.

LMAO ur avatar's from that game! Very good graphics for an older 2D fighter!!

Reply 8 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I understand, there's special "3 in 1" carts you can get that make it possible to play imports on a Saturn, act as backup memory for save games, AND enable the use of cheats like with a Game Genie or Action Replay. (Heck, one of the 3 in 1 carts out there is the "Action Replay Plus".)

Since my Saturn collection is still pretty tiny, and I don't have any imports, I haven't yet invested in such a cart, but there are a number of games that absolutely require the extra memory to save data, as the Saturn's internal memory is very tiny, not to mention is backed up SOLELY through a watch-battery that dies after about two years. You can replace it, but then after another two years you once again lose all your save data. (And no, it doesn't matter if the console's plugged in the wall or not.)

There's also two different styles of official Saturn controllers, not counting the analog controller they hyped with NiGHTS. I have both models and prefer the larger one over the smaller one, though neither perform very well anymore. (Seriously, all of my original SMS, Genesis and Saturn controllers either fail intermittently or don't work anymore at all. My Dreamcast controllers have never had any problems.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

regarding modchips: you can read here and there is also another store that carries a chip... you just have to email them as it is not listed - but they DO have it. I have installed 3-4 of those chips, they work nice.

regarding imports: you can actually replace the BIOS on your saturn with a region-free patched one , best place to order a BIOS is this Bad_Ad84 here

here are some pics for your viewing pleasusre of the bios replacing process... since I did this I had no reason to plug in an Action Replay 4in1, a super-cheap 4MB RAM expansion is all one needs 😀

th_IMG00197-20120426-1017.jpg th_IMG00199-20120426-1156.jpg

th_IMG00200-20120426-1214.jpg th_IMG00201-20120426-1229.jpg

and it just works , you get the Japanese AFAIK bootscreen and you have a region free machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2Ilwur_mE&li … Yv8voQA&index=8

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

regarding modchips: you can read here and there is also another store that carries a chip... you just have to email them as it is not listed - but they DO have it. I have installed 3-4 of those chips, they work nice.

The guy at that link really seems to rate the RacketBoy chip, and I agree whole heartedly. Breeze to install, hassle-free operation. Definitely worth the price I paid.

keropi wrote:

regarding imports: you can actually replace the BIOS on your saturn with a region-free patched one , best place to order a BIOS is this Bad_Ad84 here

Now that I did NOT know! I'll try to order one of the BIOS chips, and a PSOne mod chip while I'm at it. Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

<3 VOGONS - Sharing is caring! 😀

Reply 12 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
regarding modchips: you can read here and there is also another store that carries a chip... you just have to email them as it i […]
Show full quote

here are some pics for your viewing pleasusre of the bios replacing process... since I did this I had no reason to plug in an Action Replay 4in1, a super-cheap 4MB RAM expansion is all one needs 😀

th_IMG00197-20120426-1017.jpg th_IMG00199-20120426-1156.jpg

th_IMG00200-20120426-1214.jpg th_IMG00201-20120426-1229.jpg

and it just works , you get the Japanese AFAIK bootscreen and you have a region free machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2Ilwur_mE&li … Yv8voQA&index=8

Muchos gracias for that very good info!

Reply 13 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know that feeling you got as a child on the night before Christmas? Where you just think about what presents you might be getting. You can't sleep and your brain just keeps going, and going..

That's how I feel right now!! 😀

Reply 14 of 34, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The machine definitely has some great games on it but I have to admit personally I was a bit disappointed with it. That being said I'm not massively fond of the 32-bit era; my PSone sits around gathering dust whilst my MegaDrive gets all the use. My Saturn currently sits here unloved. Still, I'm sure I'd use it more if it was all modded with all the awesome stuff you can do but mine is just stock. Either way I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Check out Quake, it's a seriously impressive port!

Reply 15 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

The guy at that link really seems to rate the RacketBoy chip, and I agree whole heartedly. Breeze to install, hassle-free operation. Definitely worth the price I paid.

he just had a bad experience... the RobWebb chip works fine and the same as racketboy's at the end, I have used both. If *I* had to choose I would go for the RobWebb one, it's made better IMHO with an onboard oscillator and not paper-thin pcb like the racketboy one. But they are the same in the end...

edit: also there is a Dreamcast Region Free bios too, Bad_Ad84 sells them too... same process as the saturn one but has one solder point that needs attention...

th_IMG00218-20120427-1135.jpg th_IMG00221-20120427-1318.jpg

you also get the cool dev boot animation 😁 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4A5oHv0fiI&li … Yv8voQA&index=7

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

If *I* had to choose I would go for the RobWebb one, it's made better IMHO with an onboard oscillator and not paper-thin pcb like the racketboy one. But they are the same in the end...

The RacketBoy one is thin so it can be crammed into the thin CD ribbon cable slot. I don't think it's a choice to make it cheaper or whatever. But yeah, in the end they do the same thing.

keropi wrote:

edit: also there is a Dreamcast Region Free bios too, Bad_Ad84 sells them too... same process as the saturn one but has one solder point that needs attention...

I'd buy that too, if Assembly would hurry up and activate my account!! 🤣

Reply 17 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How much is the RobWebb chip and where do you get it?

edit: I think I see how you get them by emailing.. just don't see a price.

I'm actually wondering if the cost will be much cheaper once you add postage from the UK to USA.

keropi wrote:
he just had a bad experience... the RobWebb chip works fine and the same as racketboy's at the end, I have used both. If *I* had […]
Show full quote
SquallStrife wrote:

he just had a bad experience... the RobWebb chip works fine and the same as racketboy's at the end, I have used both. If *I* had to choose I would go for the RobWebb one, it's made better IMHO with an onboard oscillator and not paper-thin pcb like the racketboy one. But they are the same in the end...

th_IMG00218-20120427-1135.jpg th_IMG00221-20120427-1318.jpg

you also get the cool dev boot animation 😁 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4A5oHv0fiI&li … Yv8voQA&index=7

Reply 18 of 34, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guardian Heroes is uber fun!

Reply 19 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

last time I checked, the rob one was half the price 😁