VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Click the link, watch to photo's, and tell me I'm not the only one that wants to punch this guy
LINK

Reply 1 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Punch him for what? Selling all that as a lot instead of individual pieces? I can't read the language so I don't really know what the problem is. If I lived in Europe and had large enough vehicle to pick all that up, I'd put in a bid for it.

Reply 3 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I must admit, even if I had a chance to get these parts for cheap, I simply don't have the space and time to take them. The few parts I have already consume my life 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 15, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You got to be realistic, how much stuff would you actually salvage? The CPUS, probably generic controller cards/video cards not worth keeping/selling, perhaps a soundblaster or + CD-ROM a case or two, the mainboards are probably stuffed, I find alot of good AT power supplies in old systems, end of the day you would have a handful a parts and most of it would be trash.

Reply 6 of 15, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I must admit, even if I had a chance to get these parts for cheap, I simply don't have the space and time to take them. The few parts I have already consume my life 😀

Space and time, two things that can be bought. If you have a enough money, which I don't. I probably have enough money to buy the stuff I would like to play with, but once I got it I would not be able to play with it 🙁, just stare at it for a few minutes a day, and thinking " what a pile of mess, it sure would be fun to dig in it".

So yes, I would like to punch myself in the face on account of Space and Time, god damm'n it 🤑

Reply 7 of 15, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's pretty much sold as scrap... the seller obviously intends to sell it as as whole.
How many retro enthusiasts do you know that have the means of transporting and storing a load like this. let alone the time to do something with it?

I know that you can't salvage everything and most of it is probably dead but Anything older then a pentium 2 is incredibly hard to find here.

Believe me if I had a car and the space I would buy it even if most of it was dead/unusable.

Reply 9 of 15, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some nice cases in there worth salvaging. I've brought back a couple loads like this but like others have said, most of it would likely be trash, and you'll have the massive headache of recycling the balance.

Reply 10 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
memsys wrote:

Click the link, watch to photo's, and tell me I'm not the only one that wants to punch this guy
LINK

Not punch him, but that big thing wouldn't even fit in most cars. Nice cases though, but most of it is probably rubbish.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
memsys wrote:

LINK

Not punch him, but that big thing wouldn't even fit in most cars. Nice cases though, but most of it is probably rubbish.

6th picture. bottom left. Thats an old PS/2 model 25/30 hard drive. Those sell for $100 EACH on ebay if it works. I should know, I just bought one. 🙁

Its definatly worth grabbing and parting everything out. If I was in that area i'd be all over that like a fat guy on a cupcake.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 15, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you guys must hate me i'm about to scrap a ton of old gen/school stuff and have already scrapped a number of machines. it sucks because the scrappers at least pay us money for the stuff which we normally can't give away.

Reply 14 of 15, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of stuff? did you put any effort towards finding a good home for it instead?
These days, if something's old enough for people to hate you when you scrap it, then it probably has an active niche of collectors who would gladly take it off your hands as long as you're not shooting for delusional ebay prices.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 15, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

What kind of stuff? did you put any effort towards finding a good home for it instead?
These days, if something's old enough for people to hate you when you scrap it, then it probably has an active niche of collectors who would gladly take it off your hands as long as you're not shooting for delusional ebay prices.

^

What are you planning on getting rid of?

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z