VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know what the latest version of unreal is that uses the original sounds? Are there any bugs or performance issues in that version that I need to know of?
Or is there a way to get the original sounds back in V226?

And Happy new year everyone! 😁

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe this thread can be of help?

Edit:It applies only to the 227 patch though, and I can't remember if that patch worked on 9x or not.
I did find this, which supposedly puts back the old weapon sounds.

I'll keep on looking though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I take it the Steam version of Unreal Gold could be missing something or is it just that Epic Games changed some of the game sounds and such ?

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

version 219 of Unreal is normally the last with the original sounds.

Unreal Gold never had the original sounds since it's 226, I believe.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-01-01, 22:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BigBodZod wrote:

So I take it the Steam version of Unreal Gold could be missing something or is it just that Epic Games changed some of the game sounds and such ?

Actually, I learned something today. I did notice the weapons sounded different on different rigs of mine, but I had always assumed it was the sound card that made the weapons sound different.
I now found out that it's actually one of the official patches that make them sound differently. So if you install using an old retail disk, it will use the old weapon sounds. If you patch that or use an installation that's already updated to the latest 226 patch (like the DVD version or perhaps also the STEAM version), you'll be getting the new weapon sounds.

And actually I like the older sounds better 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The new sounds in Unreal are the same ones that are used in UnrealTournament.

EDIT: I like the old sounds better for unreal (they fit better IMHO) but I was forced to update Unreal due to a bug that kept occurring causing the armour meter not to update when picking up a new armour and not reducing damage when still wearing armour while it still got damaged.

Reply 8 of 10, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes they indeed did. However the unofficial 227I patch enables you to get all of that good stuff back! 😊 I just tried it on my main rig, hopefully it works on my win 98Se machine as well.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
memsys wrote:

Yes they indeed did. However the unofficial 227I patch enables you to get all of that good stuff back! 😊 I just tried it on my main rig, hopefully it works on my win 98Se machine as well.

I 'think' I tried the 277 patch (don't know which revision) before and it wouldn't install on anything lower then XP or 2k. So I installed KernelEx and it worked, but it somehow broke some of the other games that had previously worked. This was on ME btw. Maybe 98SE isn't affected that way?

I don't know. Just a FYI 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have just tested it and the unofficial 227I patch does not work on 98SE sadly.
The mod does does give you the old weapon sounds but not the dispersion pistol trail.