Common searches

dial-up modems

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious... does anyone use dial-up modems anymore? I ran across some old ISA modems in my parts box and finally tossed them, I figure, any computer old enough to have ISA slots is not going to be fast enough to get on the internet anymore.........

Reply 1 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not only a matter of not being fast enough, it's more a matter of not being able to support a modern browser. The internet is radically different today than it was at the beginning and an old computer that does not support the use of modern browsers is not going to be pleasant to use. If I had a v.90 or v.92 modem I'd keep one of those around, but anything older than that would go.

Reply 2 of 34, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried using my old Pentium 133 to surf the web in 2006 and it was too slow to be usable. And it's probably worse now. Of course you have these gimmicky videos on Youtube like "IBM XT BROWSES INTERNET" with a DOS browser like Arachne or something, but you can't do anything useful with it since only basic HTML is supported and many websites now are made of entirely Javascript.

Reply 3 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

Just curious... does anyone use dial-up modems anymore? I ran across some old ISA modems in my parts box and finally tossed them, I figure, any computer old enough to have ISA slots is not going to be fast enough to get on the internet anymore.........

I never use dial-up modems, if you have cable or ADSL, then modems seem to be pretty much useless alas.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an ISDN adapter with internal analog phone routing. This way I can plug two modems there and call each other locally without connecting them to the regular phone network.
I saved an older 14.4k baud and a Creatix 33.6k modem. On one of my DOS systems I have installed a NCB-Mail BBS, which can be called then.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 34, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a box full of 56ks , every box of 90's PCs I brought home had one of these, so...

For sometime now I've been thinking about connecting to the internet with the Diamond SupraExpress or SupraMax that caught my eye, just for the sake of it, and listening to the modem sound one more time , 🤣

Reply 6 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

I have an ISDN adapter with internal analog phone routing. This way I can plug two modems there and call each other locally without connecting them to the regular phone network.
I saved an older 14.4k baud and a Creatix 33.6k modem. On one of my DOS systems I have installed a NCB-Mail BBS, which can be called then.

I usually just use a null modem cable for that. Connect the two serial ports with the cable, set a terminal program on one end to upload and the other to download at the same time and you have a primitive form of file sharing.

Reply 8 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're still handy for sending and receiving faxes, right?

I would love to have a decent voice modem for recording phone messages, but alas, there seems to be no decent, inexpensive hardware/software combination, even now.

Reply 9 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
elianda wrote:

I usually just use a null modem cable for that. Connect the two serial ports with the cable, set a terminal program on one end to upload and the other to download at the same time and you have a primitive form of file sharing.

Of course, but that is not the intention of this setup. It should really look like dialing a BBS system.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 34, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I would love to have a decent voice modem for recording phone messages, but alas, there seems to be no decent, inexpensive hardware/software combination, even now.

I have a dialogic 4 line pci card that will do all that. Its been sitting in an old box with a pci 56k modem because at one time I needed a "fax machine" but I cant remember the last time I used it. Its been sitting forlorn in the corner for I know 2 years now. 😜

Looks like this: https://www.dialogic.com/en/products/media/jct/d41jct.aspx

the prices on ebay are reasonable.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 34, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a set of three USR 56k external serial modems as a backup to regular data networks.

I've got a bunch of equipment located in remote sites around rural SW Ontario with less than rock-solid network infrastructure. The nature of the equipment requires that it's located in rural areas and often the only network available is wireless* (some sites even have to rely on 3G modems).

Needless to say, this is not ideal. But since PTSN is pretty damned reliable and goes everywhere, we just stuck modems at each major site. While we can't move much data through them, they're enough to get basic plain-text results if all else fails. Also, the network equipment is on switched PDUs that we can control from the computers, so we can just dial in to power cycle if needed.

* Strangely enough, one of the sites basically in the middle of nowhere has a fibre-to-the-basement link. Dunno how that happened, but not complaining.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 12 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
I have a dialogic 4 line pci card that will do all that. Its been sitting in an old box with a pci 56k modem because at one tim […]
Show full quote
Jorpho wrote:

I have a dialogic 4 line pci card that will do all that. Its been sitting in an old box with a pci 56k modem because at one time I needed a "fax machine" but I cant remember the last time I used it. Its been sitting forlorn in the corner for I know 2 years now. 😜

Looks like this: https://www.dialogic.com/en/products/media/jct/d41jct.aspx

the prices on ebay are reasonable.

Really? What software does it use? And is it actually bi-directional? And does it have Win7 x64 drivers?

Reply 14 of 34, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a big box full of USR sportster 28.8s I got from an ISP I worked for... they all work, but there's no case for them... they came in handy a few times, but they're so cumbersome without the case... besides, I got an internal courier 56k in my retrobox...

say, anyone got an external courier 56k they want to sell? 😉

Reply 16 of 34, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Broadband access is not available to some people who live in rural areas. Dial up modems are still useful to them. A couple of users on the Vintage Computing Forums still use dial up, but not generally out of choice.

3G often feels like dial up compared to Cable or DSL.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My ISP has a free dial-up for emergency situations 😀 Never used it though.

Memories. Had a US Robotics modem back in the day.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 34, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cycled a good three or four miles to a seller on eBay to pick up a US Robotics 56k external modem a couple of years ago. Why? So I could hook my Dreamcast up to it and play Quake 3 online of course 🤣 😁

Reply 19 of 34, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here in Scandinavia they are closing down the whole dialup telephone system in two-three years time. From then on it will only be mobile, broadband and IP telephone. Rural and old people who only have regular fixed phone will get a replacement that is either IP or mobilephone based (with adapters to those that want to continue using their old phones). If this goes smooth I guess all the big countries will learn and follow very soon.

Soon it will be impossible to even test these modems.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes