VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed this ad in a local computer magazine (from 1993) and am impressed - a 386SX25 AND a Sega Mega drive in one! There's a review included too and apparently it worked pretty well.

Did anyone here have one? At 2000 bucks I'd say that was a pretty good deal at the time.

2013-01-08202232_zpse25f979c.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bloke on OCAU had one and posted about it in the retro section a year or so ago, IIRC

They were pretty cool. The cover on the front slides across to show the megadrive slot, or the power buttons/disk drives on the other side.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 4, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a few youtube users busy restoring them, Retrojunkie pops to mind http://retrojunkie.net/blog/category/amstrad-mega-pc/

Edit: Its allso worth noting that they need a 15khz compatible display for the megadrive section...

Reply 3 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fairly basic pc with very limited expansion. As mentioned, video out is a strange 15/31KHz combined signal from the single onboard VGA.

There's no interaction between the megadrive and the PC - so you don't get the ability to poke around in running megadrive games, for example.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had one that I did not fix (battery leakage) because of the multisync monitor that I lacked, back then you couldn't get a lcd/tv monitor and have 15/31khz capabilities...
The slider in the front is also the monitor switch from vga <-> 15khz rgb and also acts as a "pause" button for the inactive machine AFAIK.
The insides are a typical 386sx pc with onboard vga (better not upgrade that since you loose the internal video switch) that can be upgraded with a 486slc2 processor and also has a 3xISA riser card. One ISA slot is used for the megadrive card that couples as an AdLib compatible soundcard in pc-mode AFAIR.
It's a nice machine to have as a set with it's monitor, I would love to find one locally that worked 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website