VOGONS

Common searches

Unreal on a Pentium 166MMX

Topic actions

First post, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm trying to play unreal 1 (no patches) on my pentium 166MMX with 12mb voodoo 2 and 128 mb RAM, unfortunately, it is so jerky that it is unplayable! In many places i can only get 10 fps at 640x480. I know that this processor is at the very low end of the required specs but with the voodoo2 and large amount of RAM this should be better I think?
I'm certain that the voodoo2 is working and some other games like Quake 2 do play ok while I have the above issue with Blood 2 and SHOGO.

This particular computer is actually the very first that I owned and the configuration is the same as when i last used it and put it into storage. The only thing that I have done is reinstalled windows 98 and the drivers from the manufacturer disks and the last stock drivers for the voodoo 2 from falconfly. I remember playing Unreal a lot on this machine and i was wondering if it was always like this and I just put up with it or if there is something wrong.... I can't believe that i would have bothered to complete it if was always like this but maybe if I didn't know any different!

I was wondering if I could ask someone who may have similar specs to try and run up Unreal and report what kind of fps they are getting? Also any suggestions as to what may be wrong would be welcome!!

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unreal really requires a Pentium II to run smoothly.

Back in the days PC gamers weren't that sensitive to framerates as we are today. 15-20 FPS would be considered playable.

I mean, take a look at this video from E3 1996 at 19:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tLIdB0jC6A
They are showing of Mechwarrior 2 on the ATI Rage and it's running like crap imo. Still, there weren't too much bad press about it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 24, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check out the video when I have some more time free...

I kinda thought that this was the case and maybe I was just remembering it through rose tinted glasses. I just can't believe that I used to sit for hours subjecting myself to this and thinking that it was awesome!!!

I guess this is the 'dark side' of retro computing, another childhood memory bites the dust!!! 🤣

Last edited by Machine_1760 on 2013-01-11, 19:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unreal is insanely demanding for the time. You really need a PII as vetz stated. However, I think you'll get a bit better framerate on an MMX 233.
Also, you could lower the sound quality to give the CPU some "air".

Reply 4 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's true as f2bnp says, the game will be playable with a 233mmx, especially if you got a Voodoo2 SLI setup. It's not perfect 30+ FPS in all situations, but you can live with it 😉

Reply 6 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, there was this guy that played the game on an MMX 200 and software rendering. With 32mb of RAM.
I know because I found such a PC outside my dumpster a few years ago and he had save files from the final levels.
320x200 😜

I used to play Jedi Knight at 320x200 on my Pentium 133 myself. I also probably had the screen reduced significantly. It's funny how times change and what you considered acceptable and playable a few years back, suddenly seems completely unplayable. I guess nostalgia factors into this as well, we always remember things much better than they actually were!

Reply 8 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I played Wing Commander on 286 with EGA graphics and PC speaker 😀 It's what I had access too and I still enjoyed the game. But it mast have been sooooo slow.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Jedi Knight is slightly more bearable on a 486 if you add a Voodoo2 to the mix. 😀

I always wanted to try that, I don't have a 486 though. I should note that I was playing using Software Rendering on my P133 back then. No money for Voodoo 2 or 1 for that matter 🤣

Reply 10 of 24, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
Heh, there was this guy that played the game on an MMX 200 and software rendering. With 32mb of RAM. I know because I found such […]
Show full quote

Heh, there was this guy that played the game on an MMX 200 and software rendering. With 32mb of RAM.
I know because I found such a PC outside my dumpster a few years ago and he had save files from the final levels.
320x200 😜

I used to play Jedi Knight at 320x200 on my Pentium 133 myself. I also probably had the screen reduced significantly. It's funny how times change and what you considered acceptable and playable a few years back, suddenly seems completely unplayable. I guess nostalgia factors into this as well, we always remember things much better than they actually were!

Are you kidding?!, a friend of mine played DOOM on his 386 🤣 🤣 🤣 , and I think I only did not because my 386 could not run it 🤣 Crazy stuff kids do...

Reply 11 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal Gold runs smoothly 800x600 on this PC: My Pentium MMX gaming rig

Pentium MMX 233 at 262Mhz, Voodoo 4MB, 64 Mb EDO RAM.

What's your chipset? If it's 430TX, using only 64MB RAM might help A LOT.

Reply 12 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Sorry, but I have to take this with a pinch of salt. My own experience says that it can't be smooth. Also what do you put into "smooth"? Have you tested all areas? On my Compaq it does run at 30 FPS in certain areas, then again you have others were it drops down to 18-25, which is not smooth for me.

Please also explain how you run 800x600 on a Voodoo 1...

Reply 13 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea smooth for me is constant 60 fps 😀

More on a CRT with higher refresh rates.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Sorry, but I have to take this with a pinch of salt. My own experience says that it can't be smooth. Also what do you put into "smooth"? Have you tested all areas? On my Compaq it does run at 30 FPS in certain areas, then again you have others were it drops down to 18-25, which is not smooth for me.

Please also explain how you run 800x600 on a Voodoo 1...

Sorry, I meant 640x480. I'm getting confused from time to time since 800x600 on my LCD looks worse than 640x480 on CRT.

Settings are the following: Detail Textures, Medium world texture, High skin detail, high sound quality.

Runs at FPS from 28 to 40, while 25-30 is the definition of smooth for me.

I thing the point here is that Machine_1760 runs a lot of uncached RAM, it should be at least playable at minimum detail level.

btw, I never tested it propperly, I just measured it several times inside the buildings. It surely drops large on open areas like sunspire, but I never checked how much exactly. It's just comfortable enough to have a good time 😀

Reply 15 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unreal played smoothly on my K6-III/400 with a single Voodoo 2 though. Just my €0.02.
Can't remember the resolution but I think it was 640x800 or something (max resolution on the single Voodoo 2)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 24, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll capture some gameplay on my Compaq rig and then you guys can compare if it's something wrong with my system (or just me being picky with framerates 😀 )

Reply 17 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
Unreal really requires a Pentium II to run smoothly. […]
Show full quote

Unreal really requires a Pentium II to run smoothly.

Back in the days PC gamers weren't that sensitive to framerates as we are today. 15-20 FPS would be considered playable.

I mean, take a look at this video from E3 1996 at 19:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tLIdB0jC6A
They are showing of Mechwarrior 2 on the ATI Rage and it's running like crap imo. Still, there weren't too much bad press about it.

The Computer Chronicles was the show for computer nerds in the days before Leo Laporte and The Screensavers came along.

That is a crappy video, btw. The uploader put a music track over it or something so you can't hear anyone speaking. WTF was the point of that?

Reply 19 of 24, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote:

I played through half-life on a pentium 166MMX using software rendering...now THAT was sluggish 😀

Lol, and I thought a playthrough on a 233mhz MMX was bad.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z