VOGONS

Common searches

Unreal on a Pentium 166MMX

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First saw Unreal with software rendering, many years ago, and I thought WOW. Then I managed to play it on my various systems, and now I use it as a test for compatibility.
It stutters on a Celeron 466, or underclocked P 3 FCPGA (133 FSB originally, runs with an 100 FSB) 600/133, 450/100. With Voodoo 2 SLI. @1024

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 21 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no doubt that Unreal's software renderer was an achievement and maybe the coolest use of MMX.

UT2004 packs one called Pixomaticthat gives you almost everything a 3D card can do for the game.

Reply 22 of 24, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty sure that i was simply more tolerant of this when i was younger and had no choice but to accept it or not play at all!

I had the chance over the weekend to try unreal on a Pentium2 333 with a voodoo 2 and 128 mb RAM and it was still jerky! nowhere near as bad but you could see that it would still stutter in the same places that the Pentium 166 would. I was able to make Unreal play slightly smoother but it required so much of the eyecandy to be turned off that it was no fun any more!

As a result I've decided to build a dedicated (relatively) high end voodoo 2 machine...

I've had a DELL dimension 4100 knocking about for a while but someone had already taken all the drives and cards before it came my way and I've never really had any purpose to use it for anything but it is too well made to simply throw away!

so the specs of my new Unreal machine are:

Pentium 3 933 Mhz
512mb PC133 RAM
Intel 815E chipset
Nvidia FX5200 PCI
2 x Voodoo2 in SLI
SB Vibra 64 (wtf!!!)

40Gb 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar
48x CD-Rom
CD/RW
I had to put a zip drive in also as there was a hole in the case otherwise and nothing to fill it!

Unreal runs as smooth as silk now in full 1024 x 768 and looks the way that I remember it! The only fly left in in the ointment is the crappy soundcard - Time to start poking around on Ebay again I think!

Attachments

• Filename
    dell4100 (1).jpg
    File size
    2.55 MiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dell4100inside (1).jpg
    File size
    3.16 MiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 24, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice "no BS" build, and I like the case... very similar construction as my old Micron MME [2x 5.25" over 3x 3.5" drives in front] except how they styled the front bezel. I kept the bezel as a momento after tossing the case several years ago..

My first big issue with unplayable FPS [well, at max resolution] came in Half-Life 1 when I got horrible stutter during battles with those electrical-arc zapping monsters... a P4/ATI 9700pro-128mb upgrade did the trick.