Computing pet-peeves

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:
Well, aint that a bitch.. Last time I checked it could be easily cured with either a good scrubbing of soap or something similar […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

The thing that I really hate is when people neglect to tell you that the thing you ordered was owned by a smoker then it arrives at your house reeking of smoke even before you take it out of the package. Sellers should be required to disclose that when they list an item for sale.

Well, aint that a bitch.. Last time I checked it could be easily cured with either a good scrubbing of soap or something similar. I do not care if the computer smelled like cannabis. I would actually smile , and know "some one has smoked a joint". But oh well here goes the old smokers vs. anti smokers bullshit. Thank goodness, I do not live (yet) in a country, where warranties go out the window if you smoke near your "precious" (overpriced elitist POS) Apple computer.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Oh, also, laptops with pre-installed Symantec piss me off. When I happen to be the unlucky bastard to buy such laptop, my first step is completely removing the damn thing. And yes, that includes my mom's laptop. There is no way in hell I'd let my loved ones plagued by that thing.

I must agree , I remove that crap immediately too, or if it is mcafee. Which to me is even worse. Yeah I remove that shit within the minute I see it installed on the pc.

Why are you always such an asshole? You don't post for weeks or months at a time and then all you do when you decide to show up is act like a piece of shit.

Reply 101 of 127, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Why are you always such an asshole? You don't post for weeks or months at a time and then all you do when you decide to show up is act like a piece of shit.

Another computing pet-peeve of mine is trolls.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 102 of 127, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
Leolo wrote:

But I still think that this is much more complex than it should be. The numerous downsides greatly outweigh the supposed benefits of the Registry.

The implementation in its current state is less than ideal, I completely agree.

But I still think it's preferable to config files that could be anywhere in the filesystem on the whim of a cantankerous developer.

The Registry would be a million times better if it was reserved exclusively for Windows settings.

And the automatic backup of registry hives at each boot was a good idea from the Windows 9x era that was abandoned in Windows NT for unexplained reasons. (I'd shoot the managers responsible for killing that feature!)

Opening the Registry to abuse from 3rd party developers is what really infuriates me. Why, for Christ's sake? 3rd party programs can happily and easily live with .INI or .XML files!! Why on earth did they allow them access to the Registry!?!!?

Reply 103 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Leolo wrote:

The Registry would be a million times better if it was reserved exclusively for Windows settings.

And the automatic backup of registry hives at each boot was a good idea from the Windows 9x era that was abandoned in Windows NT for unexplained reasons. (I'd shoot the managers responsible for killing that feature!)

Where do you get your information from?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852 - The "last known good" functionality extends back to NT 3.1.

In fact, I'm certain it's Win9x that actually LACKS that functionality.

Leolo wrote:

Opening the Registry to abuse from 3rd party developers is what really infuriates me. Why, for Christ's sake? 3rd party programs can happily and easily live with .INI or .XML files!! Why on earth did they allow them access to the Registry!?!!?

It's structured, it's simpler to programatically add and replace values, you can store non-text values without an intervening encoding or formatting method, per-key ACLs, settings locations are the same if the app is installed to a different directory, and I'm sure there are other benefits.

There are advantages to both methods. Text files are good too, don't get me wrong, but they have their own set of annoyances and limitations.

New pet peeve: IT people get emotional over stupid little things. Everybody would have less grey hairs if they had balanced approaches to computers. There is no benefit to getting !?!?!!!?!! levels of angry (to the point of being "infuriated") about stuff you disagree with.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 104 of 127, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Nope, definitely in 98/Me.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

Reply 105 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Nope, definitely in 98/Me.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

Handy! Cheers.

Reply 106 of 127, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Leolo wrote:

3rd party programs can happily and easily live with .INI or .XML files!! Why on earth did they allow them access to the Registry!?!!?

This reminds me. I just started using Windows 7 and noticed how many desktop.ini files it has littered around. As soon I changed the setting to show them 2 appeared on the actual desktop. Then the "Do not cache thumbnails" option is missing yet the files are removed by Disk Cleanup. Why doesn't Windows make better use of its registry?

Reply 107 of 127, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Where do you get your information from?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852 - The "last known good" functionality extends back to NT 3.1.

The last known good functionality is almost useless when you have defective sectors in your hard disk because it's simply duplicating data in the same registry hive.

Oh, and "last known good" only duplicates the SYSTEM hive, it does not protect the SOFTWARE hive at all.

Windows 9x did actually auto-backup the file that contains the full registry database to another file in the filesystem. This lowered the risks of hard disk corruption destroying the registry.

Windows NT does not backup automatically. You have to initiate a backup manually (and check "system state" option) in order to have a copy of the registry.

SquallStrife wrote:

New pet peeve: IT people get emotional over stupid little things. Everybody would have less grey hairs if they had balanced approaches to computers. There is no benefit to getting !?!?!!!?!! levels of angry (to the point of being "infuriated") about stuff you disagree with.

I get emotional because Registry corruption in Windows XP has forced me to spend many hours repairing and reinstalling computers that simply had a few defective sectors.

My hatred against Microsoft is similar to the one experienced by webmasters who had to support IE6. I've asked a few of my friends and all of them wanted to kill someone at Redmond!

Reply 108 of 127, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Another computing pet-peeve of mine is trolls.

I'm not a troll, Wolverinedk is the troll. He never has anything relevant to contribute to any thread he posts in, that makes him a troll. All he does is goes on about how much marijuana he smoked today or how unfair the laws in some countries are. Well too fucking bad for him. I only call him out on his bullshit. I can't even remember the last time he made a post related to emulation or vintage hardware. With all the marijuana he smokes, I'm surprised he can even hold a job to pay for his internet connection unless he's a welfare cheat who makes the taxpayers in his country subsidize his drug habit.

Reply 109 of 127, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Leolo wrote:

My hatred against Microsoft is similar to the one experienced by webmasters who had to support IE6. I've asked a few of my friends and all of them wanted to kill someone at Redmond!

Then your friends need therapy. 😉

Reply 110 of 127, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

120hz refresh televisions solve some of those problems so i don't see why they can't make computer monitors with 120mhz refresh.

I suppose you wanted to say 120hz both times and not 120mhz? 😉

There are 120hz TFT computer monitors. Admittedly they are targeted to 3D shutter glasses but you can utilize the 120hz for 2D as well.
Example:
http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG278H/
(There are probably others, this is just one model I remembered reading a review about.)

Reply 111 of 127, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many would disagree, but one of my computing pet-peeves are online only games with no ending to it, or a co-op mode. I had trouble getting into World of Warcraft, mainly because the game was subscription-based and there was no real story, or ending to it in my opinion, at least. I also do not feel comfortable about the aspect that you could be trolled anytime, thankfully that has never happened to me or others I played with at the time, but I have however heard of all the trolling that was going around, that's just me of course. I do apologize for any offense I caused to those who enjoy these games. I am just throwing in my two cents. Thanks!

Reply 112 of 127, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But seriously, it's people who type most ACAD commands!

that's me...

What was the first Autocad version you ever used, son?... 😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 113 of 127, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

that's me...

Release 12. ^.^ still got it too.

wrgmg.jpg

Not putting spare drive rails INSIDE THE GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING CASE. I mean seriously. How hard is it? I have TWO wonderful AT style cases, both have drive rails, and both have NO 5.25 drive bay rails. Neither one uses the defacto standard ones made by (the name escapes me at the moment)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 114 of 127, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hate it when I have a piece of hardware laying in the living room (or my attic, though hardly anyone ever visits it as it's a 'restricted area' 😀 ) for whatever reason and someone visits me, sees the piece of hardware laying around, grabs it without minding ESD procedures and asks me with a smile "what is this?" -_-
Makes my smile melt away like snow in the sun 🤣

Ow, and I don't intend to start an ESD-discussion, I just don't like it when someone suddenly grabs a piece of hardware I have without paying attention to ESD and such.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 116 of 127, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Release 12. ^.^ still got it too.

First, version 2.6, in my home mate's PC (no mathco), and after having my own computer with a mathco installed, release 10.

Thus, I have every right to use my beloved keyboard shortcuts... 😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 117 of 127, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

that's me...

haha! the irony is that in my experience icon-only users tend to be older since we started using ACAD later - again ironically. As we were already well established designer/architects doing just fine sketching/drafting efficiently by hand we let the kids do the computer stuff in the early days, and *they* were being taught in school to type in commands, and generally never learned how to draw proficiently to begin with.

Us oldsters delayed jumping in until we *had to* and by that time R10+ was out and icons drove the show if you wanted. Once in I never looked back, but I've stayed visual/icon oriented all the way. Others in my age group tended to react the same - the thought of typing for a living was too much for us to handle 🤣..

I fiddled with R3 [I think that was the one, 1984 ish] in amusement but productivity was still comparatively low until R10 - at least with the type of work we do.

My favorite version has been ACAD 2007 and I lament the modifications introduced by R2013 which is less 2D-friendly ["oldsterism"]. The plan is now to finally suck it up and migrate to Revit - and just make the whole 3D switchover official...

How bout you?

Last edited by tincup on 2013-02-26, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 118 of 127, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How bout you?

First in 1990, revision 2.6 (in my homemate's computer without a mathco) and release 10 in 1992, when I finally have my own PC (with a mathco).

Then I migrated to I-DEAS about 1999, and then hand it over all the drafting business to my minions since 2002 (after being named as a manager... 😏 )

If I ever need to occasionally open up some press tool/plant layout/etc. drawings of old for any reason, I still proudly use my shortcut keys, just as I use them every other sofware that I ever used... 😏

Just for the records, educated in hand drafting first in 1987-1988 in high school, and then in 1989-1990 at universty. There was no formal CAD courses in my universty until 1993. It just maybe that I had realized the world is changing, earlier then some certain others... 😁

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 119 of 127, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got started with AutoCAD 10 or 11 for DOS, can't remember exactly which version but I do recall that it started up to a text menu rather than loading the GUI directly. Typing commands was actually quite fast compared to using the mouse, and I still recall many of them (PLINE, DVIEW, REGEN, HIDE, etc). Used to enjoy loading up the 3d house and nozzle drawings, typing SHADE, and waiting as my 486 churned out a rendering one polygon at a time.

Eventually got a plugin called AccuRender that was a scanline renderer with materials, texturing, shadows, etc, and used it to create images of simple 3D objects like pencils and coffee mugs, then graduated to 3D Studio r4 and learned about bump mapping, keyframing, and shadow maps. After spending years typing precise Cartesian coordinates to draw shapes in AutoCAD, it took me a while to get used to the freeform drawing tools of 3D Studio. I actually still have some of my old AutoCAD renderings in case anybody cares to see them.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+