User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AutoCAD 10? Icons you say?

autocad_pc_at.jpg

I hope you mean the icons on the tablet menu on your digitizer!!! 😉

pvdraf21.jpg
(Yes, it's an R14 menu, but that's what they looked like)

My pet peeve: People nostalgia-ing and getting years and hardware combos and versions mixed up.

E.g. "Yeah, I remember in 1992 we had a 386-100 with 5MB ram and a WHOPPING 50MB HDD 🤣"

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 121 of 127, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

My pet peeve: People nostalgia-ing and getting years and hardware combos and versions mixed up.

E.g. "Yeah, I remember in 1992 we had a 386-100 with 5MB ram and a WHOPPING 50MB HDD 🤣"

This is more evident in even younger folk (the "pre-12 that fake their age to skip the COPPA check" crowd) who just need to pull out some numbers that sound "old" to them to impress on the forums. Fortunately there's a lack of that here. Sometimes this can even expand to mentioning influential video games, such as "wow doom i rember play that in 89 on my pentem"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 122 of 127, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

This is more evident in even younger folk (the "pre-12 that fake their age to skip the COPPA check" crowd) who just need to pull out some numbers that sound "old" to them to impress on the forums.

I doubt that phenomenon exists. I notice this more in terms of phrases like "my calculator could play something like this" with youtube comments etc

Reply 123 of 127, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah I wouldn't consider that to be the same thing. Most of that is sarcasm anyway, "a potato could play this", "captured on a toaster", etc.

There's also that stupid "Quake on 386 with 2kb ram" video which was hidden recently, which i'd think would also fall in that false 'impress the internet with "old" computer' area for having improbable specs alone. The actual video was at least a Pentium CPU (no surfaceblock slowdown) playing the game being slowed down artificially in post-process, with the footage modified to reduce colors. (Quake has no support for anything less than 256-colors, and the use of post-editing color lookup is evident when the palette shift effects for item pickup were also translated)

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-02-25, 23:52. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 125 of 127, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

I know what you're talking about and I've seen that before, but to play devil's advocate, some of that could be younger people who are genuinely interested in learning about the hobby and haven't had enough experience yet to know better. Example: me! I'm learning about all this stuff retroactively out of interest, and I still find myself correcting myself on what belongs in what period as I learn.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 126 of 127, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

...It just maybe that I had realized the world is changing, earlier then some certain others... 😁

haha... touche!

For me: art/architecture school 1977-1983, so PCs were in their infancy. It took until the mid-90's before the computer offered a *real* productivity advantage for us, especially if you were skilled in the old ways. This wasn't like Graphic Design which took to computers immediately. Even so, as soon as I did switch [one of the last in my group of friends] it was no looking back. Yes hand drawing is a superior tool for design/concept, but computing takes production, manipulation, integration, simulation to a whole new level. BIM...

Reply 127 of 127, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...Even so, as soon as I did switch [one of the last in my group of friends] it was no looking back....

In my previous job I was actively using Autocad and then IDEAS for designing tube cutting and forming machines. The general manager and owner of the company, my boss in short, a guy most probably of same age as you, was a brilliant engineer at the same time and loved making machine designs for us to manufacture. He had a dedicated drawing room with all the bells and whistles, in which he drafts all his designs on A0 papers by hand. I talked to him about leaving that job to me claiming that Autocad is much more productive. He said that he did not like to look at those feeble monitors, he liked his A0s much more. Then I ordered the biggest monitor available (22-24" or something) and show him what I can with Autocad in that one. He become immediately impressed, and started taking Autocad courses at nights. The guy I'm talking about was about 50 years old and the sole owner of a 100 million EU company... 😁 He was really an impressive guy and always been one of my role models as an engineer... 😊

To say the truth, I envy your generation... 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000