Common searches

Biggest wastes of CD-ROM media

Topic actions

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Sierra Originals CD release of The Even More Incredible Machine only uses 1.3mb for its CD (and doesn't feature the CD audio as once advertised).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 25, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much all Commodore Amiga CD32 games... The majority were Amiga 500/600 or 1200 games slapped onto a CD with no enhancements at all (some had CD audio... wooho 😁).

Reply 3 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any game that devotes less than 20% of the CD to playable game content then packs the remaining 80%+ with FMV cut scenes and CD quality audio. I'd rather have a bigger, more complex game with less of that crap.

Reply 6 of 25, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were probably tons of these in the mid '90s. IIRC Supaplex was re-released on a CD with nothing more than the original 720k floppy contents.

Could have included a FMV cutscene every 10 levels - featuring actual players unleashing obscenities at the level designer while driving their keyboards clean through the desk in frustration. TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH I SHALL HUNT THEE, MICHAEL STOPP.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 25, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine works in a serious refrigiration facility. On their 60th anniversary they released a promo-CD with a movie about their company. The guy who made it messed up and now they have 200 000 CDs of soundless video. Now that is a huge waste.

Reply 8 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine works in a serious refrigiration facility.

A bit off topic, but, a serious refrigeration facility in... Siberia? I've gotta admit, that's one of the last business plans I would've expected to be successful. I mean, I know it gets reasonably temperate there from ~ late spring to early fall, but what do they do for the rest of the year?

Reply 9 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read somewhere that FF7 on playstation includes the full game on each of its 3 discs. The only difference is the FNV movies. You could play the whole game with just one disc but the movies would be wrong.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I read somewhere that FF7 on playstation includes the full game on each of its 3 discs. The only difference is the FNV movies. You could play the whole game with just one disc but the movies would be wrong.

Yes and no.

Yes, the whole game (script, field assets, battle assets) is on all 3 disks, and you can swap disks while mid-game and not encounter any problems.

But if you have the wrong disk in, and it tries to start a movie that doesn't exist on that disk, it just crashes.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fairness, the registered apogee games I have on a CD usually loaded up some of the free space with other shareware. The ROTT CD also includes a goodies pack like art assets from the game and photos of the devs. Of course there was still plenty of space left over.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Doom, Doom II, Blake Stone Aliens of Gold, Blake Stone Planet Strike, Super Noah's Ark 3D, Duke Nukem II, and many many many more. All under 10 MB, some under 2 MB. =]

But a 10mb game would take up around 7 high density floppies and 1 CDROM costs less than 7 floppies. If they hadn't put those small games on CDROM the price would have gone up.

Reply 14 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the 5 volumes of TITUS TWINHITS that is have: each cd-rom has 2 games (ie: Prehistorik and Blues Brothers) and uses ~2.37mb of space .... they also use a lame "launching method" where executables are called from batch file through a loader program : CDRUN MOKTAR.SQZ , it sux

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember coming across a CD copy of Glider 4.0 at a friend's house. It's kind of unusual that they shipped it that way considering that it's a 4MB Win3.x game with 16 color VGA graphics, but that's all made up for by the fact that it's INCREDIBLY addictive. 😁

I also remember Duke Nukem 3D being fairly small for a CD game, but like one of the posters mentioned above it was chock full of various shareware demos and other cool stuff, along with the full original versions of Duke Nukem I and II, so it's well worth it. 😁

Reply 18 of 25, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Placing a game originally shipped on floppy on a CD isn't a waste of the CD-ROM media. Many games didn't/don't need any more space than they had already and the longevity of a CD-ROM is far far greater than floppy disks!

Whilst we'd appreciate more/better content it probably wasn't always a possibility [for no cost]. There are a few great examples of where CD-ROM enhanced a game such as Day of the Tentacle which was a full talkie on the CD.