VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 56, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The period correct phase usually ends once you find a part that relieves a major bottleneck in the system and improves your frame rates tremendously and then period correct goes out the window.

Indeed. Re-living poor frame rates isn't fun for very long. Soon you're re-experiencing the same desire to upgrade you experienced all those years ago 🤣

Though I still like to muck around with more obscure hardware occasionally.

Reply 42 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

In a way, reaching that completed stage is a bit depressing, but also relieving as you can finally sit down and just enjoy your games.

I found it very satisfactory, actually. For me it feels like it's "completed" now. Sometimes it's the journey that matters, not the destination. And my journey was an interesting one. I kinda feel sorry for the people that started their journey 10 years later and are confronted with the ridiculous prices this stuff is going for nowadays.
Makes one wonder where we will be 10 years from now. I can't even start to imagine.

swaaye wrote:

I mostly sit on the forum and watch new people ask old questions.

It's kinda where I am atm 🤣.

rcblanke wrote:

5- After realizing that the house is filled with hardware and yet even more hardware, the Retrogamer discovers that DOSBox is actually pretty freakin' awesome (tm) and thus decides to ditch all the old junk (read: stuffs it in the attic)

🤣!
Better stuff it all in the attic and in 10 years sell those Virge's for €50000 🤣!

Edit:

sliderider wrote:

The period correct phase usually ends once you find a part that relieves a major bottleneck in the system and improves your frame rates tremendously and then period correct goes out the window.

I skipped the period correct phase as I always wanted my systems to be optimal.
I find period correctness to be somewhat...can't find the right word for it 🤣.
To me it doesn't matter as long as the performance of the individual parts match with each other.
Sometimes I just wanted to use 1 particular piece of hardware and build the entire rig around it. Often my systems were just to try out some piece of hardware. Usually I'd game on them once or twice. And occasionally I'd game on a few rigs more then just a couple of times (those systems somewhat replaced my main rig temporarily 🤣).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 56, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

I mean, recently someone paid almost 100 bucks for an AWE64 Gold...

I think this actually defines a type of retrogamer, the one who has more money than sense. Personally, I somewhat fall into this category having paid way too much for some of my sound card devices in the past!

Reply 45 of 56, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah if you have the money why the heck not? Others are spending lots of cash on new gfx cards and other hardware that will be outdated soon enough. 😀 I just kind of wish I'd jumped earlier on the bandwagon because the prices for a lot of stuff are going through the ceiling right now. But at least not with AWE cards, you can get them for reasonable prices most of the time. 🤣

Reply 46 of 56, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dacow wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

I mean, recently someone paid almost 100 bucks for an AWE64 Gold...

I think this actually defines a type of retrogamer, the one who has more money than sense. Personally, I somewhat fall into this category having paid way too much for some of my sound card devices in the past!

Paying too much is a relative concept. It really depends on the rarity of the item and how badly you want it that determines whether you paid too much or not. An item that you won't see again for another 5 years might be worth paying a premium for now just to save you the wait for the next one. When the next one finally does come along, you run the risk that it might be priced even higher than the last one so you waited 5 years and now have to pay more when you could have paid less earlier and been happily using it for all that time and been devoting your collecting budget to something else that you wanted.

Be a cheapskate with the common stuff but as your collecting interests start to move into the rare and bizarre, you have to be a little more willing to open up your wallet because if you don't someone else will.

Reply 47 of 56, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I enjoyed tinkering with all the old hardware for some years (which led me to this site actually). Back then it was building the ultimate P3, and then I started playing with P4s and realized they were better, and then testing old and new stuff on those souped up P3s/ P4s against my Core 2/ Ph2 systems and realizing almost everything runs better on the new stuff.

Then waking up one day and realizing your entire house is one big storage facility for old parts/ junk and your study kinda smells funny from all the old junk. And you got nowhere to sit and..... strangely enough....you haven't played a game in years...

Reply 48 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

I enjoyed tinkering with all the old hardware for some years (which led me to this site actually). Back then it was building the ultimate P3, and then I started playing with P4s and realized they were better, and then testing old and new stuff on those souped up P3s/ P4s against my Core 2/ Ph2 systems and realizing almost everything runs better on the new stuff.

Then waking up one day and realizing your entire house is one big storage facility for old parts/ junk and your study kinda smells funny from all the old junk. And you got nowhere to sit and..... strangely enough....you haven't played a game in years...

That's why us retrogamers need an attic or a basement, so we can keep all our old junk out of our sight 😜
I used to have everything littering the entire house. When I moved, I decided to keep everything and cram everything in the attic one way or another...and it all fit in there too 😁
That, or you start to sell/give away/trash all your stuff with the risk of regretting it later 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 49 of 56, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just made my first homemade SLI cable, it looks like it was hit by a Bus - not the front side one - but it works, I think this may be another stage approaching... 🤣

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 50 of 56, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

That's why us retrogamers need an attic or a basement, so we can keep all our old junk out of our sight 😜
I used to have everything littering the entire house. When I moved, I decided to keep everything and cram everything in the attic one way or another...and it all fit in there too 😁
That, or you start to sell/give away/trash all your stuff with the risk of regretting it later 😜

Ah, if only I had the luxury of an attic 😢 . In any case, I wouldn't say downsizing has made me feel regretful, just nostalgic sometimes.

Reply 51 of 56, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

The period correct phase ...

I'm afraid I completely skipped that phase.

As a matter of fact period incorrectness is a prime source of joy in my retro-tinkering 😀 . Back in the day the principles of physics (space, time, conservation of money) forced us to be period correct, like it or not.

But now? For just a bunch of bucks we can fiddle with what was then the out of reach, top-of-the-line hardware, and spice it up with more modern gadgetry. That's real fun for me. 🤣

Let the air flow!

Reply 52 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Ah, if only I had the luxury of an attic 😢 . In any case, I wouldn't say downsizing has made me feel regretful, just nostalgic sometimes.

I would feel sorry if I threw stuff out. I like having opportunities, so to say, because I have the hardware laying around.

For instance, for the new Vogons wiki I took some pics and uploaded them today and yesterday. Btw, the Vogons wiki still needs a nice P4 article written by someone more knowledgeable about P4's then I am *hint hint 😉 *

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 56, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, the Vogons wiki still needs a nice P4 article written by someone more knowledgeable about P4's then I am *hint hint 😉 *

Nice! What's the cut off that's considered to new for the wiki? I notice the GF6 is in there, so 2004? Or up to anything that still supports Win9x/ ME?

I noticed a 2k/ WP section that's as yet unwritten- man, that would mean hardware from 2000 to present 😮

Edit: OK, found the P4 motherboard section... hoho, Netburst and it's iterations, motherboards, overclocking etc could take me years to write about!

Reply 54 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Nice! What's the cut off that's considered to new for the wiki? I notice the GF6 is in there, so 2004? Or up to anything that s […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, the Vogons wiki still needs a nice P4 article written by someone more knowledgeable about P4's then I am *hint hint 😉 *

Nice! What's the cut off that's considered to new for the wiki? I notice the GF6 is in there, so 2004? Or up to anything that still supports Win9x/ ME?

I noticed a 2k/ WP section that's as yet unwritten- man, that would mean hardware from 2000 to present 😮

Edit: OK, found the P4 motherboard section... hoho, Netburst and it's iterations, motherboards, overclocking etc could take me years to write about!

Nice of you to consider contributing to the wiki 😀

The cut-off point? Well, I wrote till the Athlon XP and left Athlon64 alone, but I reckon writing about Socket 478 is still good 😀
I dunno, there isn't a cut-off point officially at least.

What's there (in the P4 section) is more of a placeholder as I don't really know that much about P4, but I was very satisfied with my own P4 before I had to disassemble it because I needed the case. It will be rebuild though! 😁

Edit:It's not set in stone yet, but what I considered important for our wiki is that it shouldn't become a copy of any existing wiki (theres plenty of wiki's already with CPU data and so forth) and it should contain info that's important for anyone considering a retro build. You could have a look at the other articles written already, many have a "Today" section explaining what the current use is 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 55 of 56, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Nice! What's the cut off that's considered to new for the wiki? I notice the GF6 is in there, so 2004? Or up to anything that s […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Don't forget that Windows XP will install to a 233mhz processor and still be usable, so that makes it a "vintage" operating system. There is also a lot of game support for XP. That is the last version of Windows I think should be covered in a vintage computer wiki. Vista's minimum requirements are a huge jump up and the i686 dependency eliminates a lot of vintage hardware from being able to run it. Also, being the first version of Windows to support DX10 makes Vista a more "modern" operating system.

Reply 56 of 56, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5- Rearranges his retro game playing habits around DOSbox and gog.com and continues to build working exotic retro rigs just for the heck of it...

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000