VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems that Valve in their "infinite wisdom" has made a MASSIVE update to Steam, Half-Life, and Counter-Strike 1.6. This all due to them porting the games over to Linux (like I give a flying rat's arse about Linux, which according to Valve's 'stats' page makes up less than ONE PERCENT of the total Steam users and members!).

__Eventually__ this will affect ALL of the GoldSource games (including Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, etc... etc...), as they ALL use the core GoldSource engine files from Half-Life.

Yeah... let's take some 9+ year-old games (that already pretty much work to perfection), and FUBAR them totally up!

Read more about it (as well as about ALL of the things that Valve has TOTALLY SCREWED UP in these games, and the *TONS* of problems that people are now having after the update) here -> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 , here -> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20 , here -> http://steamcommunity.com/app/10/discussions/ , and here -> http://steamcommunity.com/app/70/discussions/ !

Valve's GITHub is here -> https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues , and if you're so inclined, a petition is here -> http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/counter … -back-to-normal .

Expect the same for the other GoldSource games soon...

Valve - 'We already have your hard-earned non-refundable money, go screw yourself!'

What a bunch of morons! :thumbs_down:

P.S. Among other things: The D3D renderer has been REMOVED, EAX 4-channel surround-sound support has been REMOVED, and a slew of other things (and control/graphics/audio CVars) have been REMOVED.

Way to go, Valve...

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 37, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When everyone complained about the original Doom3 disappearing from Steam's store when the remake came out it didn't take long for the original to come back. People still wanted the original, including myself, and thus we got it. :)

My point being, if these HL/CS problems are really THAT bad, they will probably get fixed.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 37, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I for one am excited for more games being ported to linux. Microshat has shot themselves in the foot with windows 8. I'd bet my first born that valve has decided to start gearing linux up in preparation for when computer users rebel against the closed garden and go linux.

now that I think about it, if it wasnt for 1 or 2 games, i'd switch over to linux as my main system. Win7 is WONDERFUL, but I don't agree with the decisions microshat has made of late.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 37, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I for one am excited for more games being ported to linux. Microshat has shot themselves in the foot with windows 8. I'd bet my first born that valve has decided to start gearing linux up in preparation for when computer users rebel against the closed garden and go linux.

I'm actually already considering this. With Steam now supporting Linux, the new Ouya being Linux-based and looking as though it might become a paradise for indie developers such as myself, my extreme loss of interest in mainstream gaming over the years, and Allegro 5 (the game programming libraries I use) also being cross-platform, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get set up soon to handle cross-platform programming, despite my lack of Linux experience.

For now though, most people still use Windows so that will remain my primary target platform unless/until that changes.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 5 of 37, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a shame they have to mess up the windows version in order to support the linux version... I won't miss the DX renderer, it never worked for me anyways and I always had to play the game in OGL mode. Removing cvar's seems kind of lame lame lame, especially in a game like CS 1.6 which still has a die hard comp scene...

Reply 7 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I'm actually already considering this. With Steam now supporting Linux, the new Ouya being Linux-based and looking as though it might become a paradise for indie developers such as myself, my extreme loss of interest in mainstream gaming over the years, and Allegro 5 (the game programming libraries I use) also being cross-platform, I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get set up soon to handle cross-platform programming, despite my lack of Linux experience.

For now though, most people still use Windows so that will remain my primary target platform unless/until that changes.

Oh, snap! I forgot about the Ouya. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll have to see what's new on that front.

Edit: Wow, it's coming along nicely. I even found out about a feature that I didn't know about before. If you run out of space for your games, you can just add an external hard drive through the USB port. What a convenience that is. You don't have to delete any of your old favorites in order to make room for the latest and greatest. I also like the idea of encouraging devs to offer free trials of all their games. Nothing sucks worse than paying a lot of money for a game only to be disappointed by it and you can't get your money back.

The only thing that concerns me is the open source nature of the hardware itself. To me, that means people are free to mod their consoles to allow cheating in online, multi-player games which is something that has been the scourge of all the online services to date. How will they deal with that issue?

Reply 10 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bloodbat wrote:

I for one wish every game gets ported to Linux, I've been know to say "the only reason I don't ditch Windows is because my games won't run under Linux" so...I can only hope 😀.

I'm actually surprised they are even bothering to port the games to Linux at all since so few people use it compared to Windows and Mac.

Reply 11 of 37, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
bloodbat wrote:

I for one wish every game gets ported to Linux, I've been know to say "the only reason I don't ditch Windows is because my games won't run under Linux" so...I can only hope 😀.

I'm actually surprised they are even bothering to port the games to Linux at all since so few people use it compared to Windows and Mac.

I think it's setting the foundation for this rumoured steam console, which will likely run on Linux and use this big screen interface.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 37, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sliderider wrote:
bloodbat wrote:

I for one wish every game gets ported to Linux, I've been know to say "the only reason I don't ditch Windows is because my games won't run under Linux" so...I can only hope :).

I think it's setting the foundation for this rumoured steam console, which will likely run on Linux and use this big screen interface.

This wouldn't surprise me, especially with Windows 8 potentially alienating Valve. (I remember reading something to the effect that Valve is not happy at all with the way Windows 8 handles everything.)

*I* won't be surprised at all if six or seven years from now, all the serious gaming is happening on Linux-based computers and consoles.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 13 of 37, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I support fully getting away from Windows, I am rather disappointed with the direction it is taking. I would love to move to linux if I could play all my games on it, as well as everything else I do with Windows based software which doesn't always have a linux equivelent.

Reply 14 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

*I* won't be surprised at all if six or seven years from now, all the serious gaming is happening on Linux-based computers and consoles.

I think it more likely that Android gets wider adoption as a game platform than Linux especially with cheap consoles like the Ouya and Gamestick using it.

Reply 15 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Linux is OK. Not my cup of tea for day-to-day stuff, but I use it for servers and routers and whatnot. Those are the uses where it really shines.

I still can't stomach Linux on the desktop. Every year I grab the latest Ubuntu and have at it for a few days. I can look past the lack of games and other software, but there are really fundamental things that are still stupid, and will probably be stupid forever because of nerd infighting.

Like sound, I have a PCIe sound card, onboard sound, and a video card with HDMI that can output sound that way. Windows cleverly remembers what device I was using before I shut down. With Linux I could set a thing in the X environment, but for stuff outside that (like ScummVM and DOSBox that use SDL) I had to piss around in /proc finding the alsa device/output ID or whatever, then adding lines to some esoteric script file to force choose an output device at startup. When I queried this, the suggestion was to remove or disable sound cards I'm not using. Bzzt. Sorry. Wrong answer.

It was all well within my comfort zone and expertise, it didn't take me long to research and implement, but that's beside the point. I'm a "computer person" so to speak. Most of Steam's users aren't. Most of the world isn't. You shouldn't have to be, in order to do something so simple.

I have a soft spot for Linux, I really honestly do, but the attitude in the community around it drives me up the wall.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 16 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Steam is just trying to capitalize and expand it's business further by pulling-in pure Linux users.

Though I do occasionally use one distro or another from time to time just because there are so many varieties of Linux distributions, I won't be getting a game from Steam for Linux, when I'm already using Windows. I just hope Steam won't mess with and screw up my already-installed games, which are mostly of Strategy and RPG genres.

For hobbyist tinkering, Linux is fine, and actually more fun to "play" with than the, rather... bland, Windows, but it still couldn't replace Windows as my main OS.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm hoping the Steambox opens more commercial interest for other genres. PC is a bit lacking in fighting games, especially 3D ones, and any games that have a 'create a fighter' system (which would be great work workshop!).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 37, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Steam is just trying to capitalize and expand it's business further by pulling-in pure Linux users.

Yep.

But I reckon the truly "pure" Linux users wouldn't touch Steam. It's closed source, AND a form of DRM. It's enough to make Richard Stallman's skin crawl, and he has more devoted religious followers than Steve Jobs ever did.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 19 of 37, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

It's enough to make Richard Stallman's skin crawl, and he has more devoted religious followers than Steve Jobs ever did.

Well he is mentioning Freedom in gaming rather then Free in the cost of games.

I do not see an issue here with using Steam on Linux as a digital distribution platform.

I can however see why some Linux folks don't like the fact the game is wrapped in DRM via Steam.

No matter where you go, there you are...