Common searches

comparing win95/98

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot believe the speed with which they are releasing OS's....and dropping backwards compatibility. This has just become ridiculous. I'm assuming now I'd be hard-pressed to get a computer with even Windows 7 on it.

Reply 41 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Speed?
Between xp and vista was a long time, then vista needed a successor badly... And now Apple is supposedly making MS dance to their new OS per year tune... We'll see...
But getting a new computer with old Wondows wasn't easy for a long time...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Windows 8 was driven by the need for a tablet Windows OS and streamlining Windows with Windows Phone

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 44 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

I can see why they wanted to replace Vista..... but 7 has not been out that long...

7 will have support until 2020 so it's all good. Could very well be the last classical desktop OS from them if they continue their tablet trend with 8's successor.

Reply 45 of 45, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Windows 8 was driven by the need for a tablet Windows OS and streamlining Windows with Windows Phone

But to what end? Even Apple still sells Mac OS X alongside iOS. There is no need for PC's and devices to use the same OS.