Common searches

amiga

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am curious - has anyone every messed with a Amiga? I used a C64 for a very long time, but when straight from there to the PC and skipped Amiga. I was just curious what people had to say - were they as groundbreaking as people say? I was half-thinking one might be a good addition to a vintage computer collection 😀

Reply 5 of 25, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Oh, boy, did you just kick a hornet's nest. Now we get to relive the 16-bit wars all over again. *makes popcorn*

LMAO

Yes the Amiga was ahead of its time, it was kinda like owning a Genesis in 1986.
Many people survived trough the late 80's and early 90's with they 286 and 386 with no sound card and they where very happy, thank you very much 😠
I was very lucky to observe the battle of standards in this era and it was very fun. Amiga did great things, my favorite games are from 1988-1992.

R.I.P Commodore 😢

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 6 of 25, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still own working Amiga's:

A500 = 3 of them, one is a hanger queen
A3000 = 1
A4000 = 1

Solld my A2000 like a dummy and never got around to owning the A600 nor the A1200.

Still have a couple of working C64's and a C128 too.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 25, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 3 Amiga computers (A1000, A500 and A1200). As far as I know, they all work, but it's been some time since I used any of them.

The A1200 was actually my main computer until summer 1999 when I got myself an 450Mhz PC, so I used it a lot for 7 years. Quite a long time for a computer, even if I did get a CPU and RAM upgrade for it later on. I then continued to use it somewhat regularly until 2004, but then I moved and packed it down and the few times I've used it since then it hasn't taken long until I packed it down again.

Reply 11 of 25, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Amiga 500 can play a video with sound using its 7MHz Motorola CPU.
What else from 1980s can do that? 😀

Any cheap ass VCR? 😁

Reply 14 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My cousins had an Amiga 500 and as far as I can remember it was one of the first machines I played games on as a child. I knew a few other people that had them too.
I think they were quite popular here in Australia in the late 80's/early 90's, Doom changed all that.

I started collecting them a few years ago and ended up with an A1000, A1000 Phoenix, A500 and A1200
The Phoenix was missing a large number of GAL chips for additional features which I managed to track down and program myself. Got everything working except the SCSI controller.
I also bought one of the new ACA1230 accelerators, its amazing that such old consumer hardware still has peripherals actively developed for it.

They were fun to fiddle with and restore but I lack the time and space to continue that hobby nowadays so I've sold them recently. I would just set them up, watch a few scene demos then have to pack them away again...

I agree with luckybob though, the community surrounding Amiga these days is a bit shit, with a few exceptions (most of the Australians I've met that are into amiga are pretty cool).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 15 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now we get to relive the 16-bit wars all over again.

Screw Amiga! Atari ST forever!

*runs away before shitstorm starts* 🤣

Seriously, though, I have an Amiga 500... It's quite fun to mess around with, and makes ya realize just how crappy some of the PC ports of games were. But I definitely agree that the Amiga community is kinda shit these days. Some groups are alright, but for a lot of 'em, the comparison with Mac fanboyism doesn't even begin to describe the level of jaw-dropping douchetardery that pervades the ranks.

Reply 16 of 25, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

you can play video with sound on an 8088. http://www.oldskool.org/pc/8088_Corruption

Those are fonts, that aint true video 😁

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgdJAj3jty0

Cant find the one im thinking of, so here is an 14MHz one.

sprcorreia wrote:

Any cheap ass VCR?

Hahaha, good one 😁

Reply 17 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Those are fonts, that aint true video 😁

Check the whole page out.

It's an IBM CGA adaptor, it doesn't have "fonts", the character ROM is read-only.

It uses 80-column 16-colour codepage 437 box art characters, a SoundBlaster, and nothing more.

Stojke wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgdJAj3jty0

Cant find the one im thinking of, so here is an 14MHz one.

A PPC-upgraded Amiga playing FMV? Meh.

While cool, the other video linked earlier uses a stock 8088 at 4.77MHz, and as far as I can tell, the stock 256KB of RAM.

There's a video of a guy playing back some heavily compressed and dithered FMV on his Tandy TRS-80 CoCo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3yY4mFLjDM

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2013-02-24, 10:55. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 19 of 25, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The font part was a joke 😀

I still cant find that bare amiga power 7MHz one, i know one Serb made it, cant even find the original topic on Benchmark.rs ... Hmm.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"