Common searches

Place your bets :D

Topic actions

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So here's the thing: there's a russian site on gift giving, where people give strangers things they no longer need as gifts.

Since I'm not a TV watcher, I decided to get rid of my father's TV set, posted a message and tomorrow a woman is coming to my place to take it. She mentioned she had an old PC she did not need and, since my profile said I'm a fan of those things, she wanted to give it to me.

She said, it was an i486DX4-100, then that it was probably a 486 upgraded to a Pentium (POD?), then that is was probably Pentium-133 made by AMD.

So, some of these statements make sense, some don't, but I'm going to find out tomorrow 😀

What do you think it is? Place you bets! The winner gets... Let me think... A wabbajack!

Reply 2 of 40, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps it's some sort of cpu upgrade based on a amd 5x86-133. That maybe explains the initial statement that it's a 486, but also the fact that the name resembles a pentium.

Reply 3 of 40, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That indeed seems most likely. A lot of the 5x86-based upgrades were advertised as 'Pentium-level performance' or other similar phrases to that effect, so it would be completely reasonable that somebody could get mixed up on the specifics and call it an AMD Pentium 133.

Reply 5 of 40, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm I dunno, upgrading from 100 to 133 Mhz wouldn't make much sense. In my experience Pentium's are heaps more common than socket 3 stuff, and they're often housed in a 486-era case - obviously an upgrade at some point.

It'll be a Pentium with a boring PCI S3 vga card 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 40, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

Hmm I dunno, upgrading from 100 to 133 Mhz wouldn't make much sense. In my experience Pentium's are heaps more common than socket 3 stuff, and they're often housed in a 486-era case - obviously an upgrade at some point.

It'll be a Pentium with a boring PCI S3 vga card 😀

My thoughts exactly as well.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 40, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's an AMD 5x86-133ADZ running at 150MHz!

• It seems that it does have 32 Mb of EDO RAM, but I'm not sure yet. I'm at my father's so i don't have any monitor to turn the thing on and see.
  • S3 Trio32 (probably 2 Mb, with memory extension chips installed)
  • Weird GPU cooling device (socket 3 cooler mounted on a stripped ISA I/O controller board to move air to the S3. A very simple and curious thingy!
  • 256Kb cache in 512K cache sticks (also very uncommon)
  • A tiny PCI motherboard with custom voltage regulator cooler
  • Unidentified Conner HDD, which is very uncommon for Russia. I did not extract it from the bay, I'm a lazy man 😀
  • ASUS 50x CD drive
  • 3.5 floppy, of course
  • AT case with 200W PSU and a frequency screen
  • Original documentation for mobo and 2d card, including instructions to run it with AutoCAD
  • 3-button Genius mouse and DIN-5 Mitsumi keyboard in perfect condition (Clicky!!!) + plactic cap for keyboard
  • several floppies with drivers and stuff
  • Brand-new power, IDE and FDD cables
  • KEYS FOR KEYLOCK!!!

When I received the whole package, I felt like a kid with a luxurious new toy! The mouse and keyboard were shining and as I opened the case, there was barely any dust! The cables are carefully strapped together, all the backplanes are in place, except for the one with the cooling device.

The previous owner, as I found out from the conversation, was a brilliant mix of a good engineer and a caring woman. Not only did she manage to make her system run cooler, she also payed attention to things men usually don't think about. With every screw in it's position, no cables "just hanging", almost no dust inside and all the manuals still kept, I think, I have no choice but to admit this is the best condition of a PC I ever got and will ever get.

Reply 9 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope for you it's a Pentium Overdrive 133 for Socket 4 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 40, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great. Nice find. I wish I could find a key for a keylock. So far I've been able to get two sets, but they're larger so they won't fit. And on my 286 pc, whose motherboard has a 5 pin header for a front keyboard connector, I replaced the keylock with a ps/2 connector...

Reply 12 of 40, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congratulations she sounds beautiful , how about some pictures for us to enjoy,that cooling design sounds very interesting?

Markk wrote:

Great. Nice find. I wish I could find a key for a keylock. So far I've been able to get two sets, but they're larger so they won't fit. And on my 286 pc, whose motherboard has a 5 pin header for a front keyboard connector, I replaced the keylock with a ps/2 connector...

You can buy a whole new mechanism and key from electronic shop, they still use those in things like alarms...

Reply 13 of 40, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So here are the pictures, my new 5 megapixel Nokia shoots a little better than my old 1.2 megapixel Motorola, but Motorola was ten times more brutal 😀

From inside the case (after I tossed around some wires to get to the CPU and see what cache modules were installed):
Photo0144.jpg
CPU after cleaning thermal paste (I am going to apply new anyway):
Photo0143.jpg
S3 Trio32 videocard with external cooling:
Photo0145.jpg
Mouse, keyboard, cables:
Photo0148.jpg
Case:
Photo0150.jpg
Keys!!!
Photo0149.jpg

Reply 15 of 40, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That old thermal grease is nasty, get some thermal grease remover from the hardware shop if they have it (it's basically citric acid I think). Otherwise yeah great case and I definitely remember those keys from back in the day 😀

Reply 16 of 40, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice indeed, thats a very interesting way to re-purpose a IDE controller.

But all in all a very nice system that any retro game collector can be proud of 😀

Reply 17 of 40, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's beautiful!
Please let us know when you can test it: Is the LED working? Does it display 3 numbers? Does the turbo button works?

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 18 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn, you actually got the keys. I got a couple AT cases with keyholes but all the keys are missing 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 40, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That old thermal grease is nasty, get some thermal grease remover from the hardware shop if they have it (it's basically citric acid I think).

...or just use alcohol, which you probably already have and works just fine.