VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We had a thread about disappointing games - let's turn this around - are there any games you wish you had bought but didn't?

For me there are at least two - the original "Blood" and "Wolfenstein Return to Castle."

I am so outdated I cannot even comment on some of the newer games - my gaming era ended with Unreal 2. I would have liked to have seen Half Life 2 but I didn't have the hardware or OS to run it.

Reply 1 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is, I don't know what games I would've liked, but I didn't buy.

Tribes comes to mind though as it apparently had such odd and fastpaced gameplay. Though I didn't even have a computer at the time I think, but I certainly didn't have any internet connection

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 18, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Whole Unit blood and Blood 2, never finished them along with ALOT of my games but they do start off pretty fun. Ever play Shadow Warrior?

I'd say I really missed out on the SNES classics. I haven't started to play and beat these games till around 2009 and up till recent times.

Metroid anything!! Super Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion
Zelda - A link to the past (just beat this for the first time a month ago)
TMNT 4
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All stars w/ SMW

PC wise I can't say there is much. I have a tendency to wait for the game to be cheap and most of the bugs worked out before buying a copy. This goes for almost any system nowadays as it seems they would rather release a broken game and patch it later if ever :angry face:

Only ones I could think of:
Neverhood
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Unrated (bought for like $6.50 on ebay around a year after release)
Spiderman: Web of shadows (ebay special for $7 a year or 2 after release. Prototype has nothing on this game)

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 5 of 18, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally if I didn't have a game I wanted it's because I couldn't find it anywhere. Occasionally I'd strike a lucky find at yard sales and flea markets. Whatever I was still looking for eventually turned up listed online and I bought them then.

There are several games I would have bought new if I had known I would read about them and seek them out 10 years later.

As far as missed opportunities, I passed up Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 and Parasite Eve 1, 2 in the same EB Games one day. Now I'm glad I never got into the Resident Evil series and I've lost interest in consoles but I probably would have liked those games at the time.

Reply 8 of 18, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wish I had bought System Shock 2 when it came out. I managed to get a boxed "Classics" copy later, but it's no the same as the first edition.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 9 of 18, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I'd bought Day of the Tentacle when it was first released in that odd triangular-tube box. It's my favorite adventure game and those boxed sets are now selling for $300+ on eBay.

Reply 10 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lately I am kind of regretting not buying Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii. Everyone was raving about it, but it seems it had a very short print run and prices have skyrocketed, with no sign of a reprint in the near future.

(Meanwhile, 999 DS, which I ran out and bought when it was still brand new, can easily be obtained for $20. Sigh.)

I think I had a shot at a cheap copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy once. Passing that up was a mistake.

Reply 12 of 18, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I think I had a shot at a cheap copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy once. Passing that up was a mistake.

The originals are better anyway, there are some graphical issues in those remakes.

Reply 13 of 18, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stunts!

Played it to death in my childhood, but on a pirated copy. Would love to have a boxed copy!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 18, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Daggerfall
I remember when this game was on big store displays and posters. I ignored it because I had enough games on my mind already, and I was an Ultima fan. I didn't think I needed it. Elder Scrolls? Whatever, I didn't know or care what that was about.
In modern times, I've seen some Daggerfall on youtube and realized how hugely I missed out. Bethesda has released it as a free download but I haven't put any time into it yet.

Morrowind
I read about the greatness of this game but ignored it for years. Partly because I hadn't finished Ultima 9 yet.. yeah, as if that was a good reason.
Well, I never did finish U9. I finally bought Morrowind GOTY when it was disappearing from retail, long after Oblivion was out. So I did ultimately buy it, but it took me far too long and I missed the peak years of it's fan following.

Reply 15 of 18, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While not PC games, I REALLY wished I purchased Tomba and Tomba 2 for the Playstation as a kid, I have always wanted to play the full versions of those games after playing the demos back in the day, but now I can't get them since copies of them are ridiculously expensive on eBay and Amazon.

Reply 17 of 18, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I had bought The Reap, though I have read the game is impossible to play on newer system (notice the soundglitch in the video), well..., can only dream this game get on GOG someday.

Reply 18 of 18, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

The only affordable place i've seen Tomba! is the Playstation 3's PlaystationStore

Which is why I am kicking myself in the foot because I lack a PS3 to get it. I also hear that the PS3 version has issues not present in the original release.