VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, I've been searching this information but I have not found the answer.

Is it possible to install MS-DOS 6.22 in a 486DX4 with WinAmi Bios from a CD-Rom or CF IDE? I cannot see in the bios any option to change booting devices.

Only options I've found are:

a) booting order, A: C: or C: A:
b) Floppy Drive seek at boot

Reply 3 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure you can boot dos from a cd.

To install dos to a cf card, get an ide adapter to plug the card into your ide port on the motherboard as you first hard drive. Some ide adapters hold 1 cf drive and the drive can be set as master or slave, others can hold 2 cf drives and one will be master and the other slave.

Use the bios to set up the drive geometry if necessary [various threads on here discuss that] - this is not necessary on later boards [at least my socket 7 detected my cf drives fine].

At this point you should have a cf drive set up as as c:.

Use dos floppies to install dos to this c: drive.

Reply 4 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CF should work just fine.

To boot from CD there are software solutions available I believe. Just don't ask me what they are called, my memory is letting me down...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 7, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no 486 I know of can boot from CD-ROM, ZIP drive, or LS-120 drive.... the BIOS is just too old
the only things you can boot are Floppy, HDD, or SCSI device... SCSI depends on having a SCSI BIOS either built into the motherboard (rare) or if the addon card has a BIOS
some SCSI2 cards with BIOS and pretty much anything SCSI3 and newer can boot anything pretty much.... SCSI floppy drives, SCSI optical drives (CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, MO disk, etc)

if you want to boot a CD, you'll need a boot strapper... software solution as said, or use SCSI

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To boot a CDROM on a 486, I used a bootable floppy with a bootstrap called Smart Boot Manager. I'm sure it can be installed onto the hard disk as well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

Reply 7 of 7, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

To boot a CDROM on a 486, I used a bootable floppy with a bootstrap called Smart Boot Manager. I'm sure it can be installed onto the hard disk as well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

Great app, I'll check it out!