VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is a combination of these two a good choice?
I heard Diamond monster 3D was popular and i want to pair it up with Diamond Stealth 64.

Here are the pictures of the cards:

Stealth 64
Monster 3D + Cable

Stealth one seems to be a 2MB model.
I bought both of those, they are yet to arrive.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The combination is fine, according to the image the Stealth 64 has an S3 Vision968 chip. It is probably about as fast as one of the Trio64 variants, just without the integrated RAMDAC and clock generator.
Seems like a good fit for a pentium 133, too.

Reply 3 of 17, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would prefer your already exisiting Matrox 4MB over that Diamond anytime...😏

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, well i got to this idea when i saw this thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Monster-3d-3d … =item4ac1923e0b

I thought, hm, such a price, must be a good combo. What do i know 😁
Can you tell me why do you prefer matrox? I know it has very good 2D image quality, but ive heard its not really for DOS.

Reply 5 of 17, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, it is just a personal preference. If you need complete DOS compatibility, S3 is the way to go.

http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

Diamond is a good solid brand, so you will have a sharp 2D image from it, too (S3 image quality is not always the same, there are many brands that used the chipset and some of them was, well, cheap... 🤣)

Why I choose Matrox, is...I like the brand, stable nice drivers, razor sharp image and very quick GUI.

If you go for an S3, I suggest Trio64 and derivatives, which are newer and more capable (and dirt cheap, at least in where I live)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Graphics

Last edited by tayyare on 2013-03-12, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also suggest going with the Matrox. It is faster in DOS and Windows, it has better 2D and output quality and it was much more beloved in the gaming media than the S3 cards. I've never had any problems with my DOS games, and I think the issues are exaggerated. Also you need to think how many really old DOS games you're playing on the P133, and if theoretical compatibility on the Matrox compared to the S3 may be an issue or not for you.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 17, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Ebay auction is just crazy. The Stealth SE card has a Trio32 so it is somewhat slower. And a Monster 3d (Voodoo1) is not that special.

Reply 8 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason that auction got so high was because it was a special review board. That is atleast what I read on Falconfly.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 Vision x68 chips have a memory address conflict with Voodoo1.

http://www.falconfly.de/info/readme-s3fix.txt

I wouldn't choose Matrox for DOS or a Matrox card prior to G200. Nice DOS choices include newer S3 cards (ie Savage4) or a NVIDIA card of some kind.

Reply 12 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only concern with Trio64/Virge/Trio3D cards is they are probably blurry at higher resolutions because the cards are typically low quality. This isn't really a problem for DOS games though because rarely do you go above 640x480.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-03-12, 20:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, well, can you recommend any and/or tell me about some higher grade 2D cards?
I am very interested will i be able to find them online/fleamarket/military junkyards.

Reply 14 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I would suggest GeForce 4 (Ti or MX) or GeForce FX. They are likely to have good output quality and they are good for DOS.

Savage4 sounds highly compatible too but I'm not sure about output quality.

Also realize that this question has been asked many times and you can search the forum.

Reply 15 of 17, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But i dont have AGP in this computer. I only have 2 PCI slots.

Also as for search, the original question was about those two in the name of the topic, but since the thread went on it seemed logical to ask here because if it was answered already i wouldn't need to search.

Reply 16 of 17, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you have a S3 968 along with a voodoo1/2 you have to download s3fix.zip if you don't want to have memory mapping issues.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 17 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

But i dont have AGP in this computer. I only have 2 PCI slots.

Any NVIDIA card from Riva TNT onward is great but you run the risk of getting a blurry card. There are many PCI options in there though.

Look at this page that someone already posted.
http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/