VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have come across a bargain on quality 3-pronged component cables, lacking sync.
(i.e. is only RGB, vs RGBS or RGBHV(5-BNC)).

Any reason I should want such a cable ?

(who knows what PC project will manifest it self in the future, hence better buy now before such cables get extinct ?)

Reply 1 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So this is DE-15 to 3-BNC, or what? Devices capable of using said cables will probably go extinct long before the cables will. You'd be lucky to find an appropriate CRT even now, and even if you did, it wouldn't be easy to find a video card that could be persuaded to drop down to the appropriate refresh rate.

If you buy these they will collect dust in some forgotten corner until your descendants finally toss them in the trash decades from now. Or perhaps find some means to implement them in a creative post-apocalyptic self-defense weapon.

Reply 3 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:

(and no, they were only 3-BNC to 3-BNC, no DB-15/VGA anywhere)

Well, then they're no better than just three ordinary BNC cables, and ordinary BNC cables will probably be around for a long time yet.

Reply 4 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, but these were slightly less ordinary than usual...

Granted, they are 10 meter each, but... retail price was USD $310(!) a piece, and I'd get them for $35 each.... hence my temptation.
(assuming price relates to perceived quality...)

Reply 5 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(assuming price relates to perceived quality...)

Perceived quality, maybe, but actual quality, not at all. Cables are some of the most notoriously overpriced items on the market.... the $310 MSRP just means the retail price was way too high in the first place, and even $35 is still a bit much. It's really not hard at all to get three separate 10M lengths of good quality BNC patch cables for quite a bit less than that.

Reply 6 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But it looks soo good..... 🤣
Nordost_Wyrewizard_Component_2_N.jpg

http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Brands/Nordost … .27183__C.27311

Now, THIS thing on the other hand, even I have an inkling it might be on the side of overpriced.....
ANORDFR215AMP.jpg

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-66187-nordost-fr … ower-cable.aspx

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:
But it looks soo good..... :lol: http://assets1.listeningpost.co.nz/assets/Nordost_Wyrewizard_Component_2_N.jpg […]
Show full quote

But it looks soo good..... 🤣
Nordost_Wyrewizard_Component_2_N.jpg

http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/Brands/Nordost … .27183__C.27311

You realize that's RCA and not BNC, right?

Reply 8 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's only 3x BNC, you'll have to use sync-on-green, and IIRC only ATI cards support that.

I have a few monitors with 5x BNC but I don't have the appropriate cable. I do see some ghosting around sharp edges with a normal VGA cable, maybe using the BNC input would improve that. Most VGA cables don't have shielded sync signals so it should.. But of course my graphics card or monitors may just be too slow.

And OH GOD PLEASE don't fall for the video/audiophile cable marketing trick. It's complete bullshit. I mean: "99.99999 solid-core OFC conductors".. what does that say? solid core means it's rigid and useless, and OFC means it's... copper. Man I really hate the people who buy these things and keep the frauds in business. A good cable, any cable, should never cost more than €5 per meter.

Reply 9 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, me not too familiar with the lingo it seems....
Ok, so it is obviously NOT a BNC connector(checked wikipedia... 😊 )

I somehow mixed those two in my head, as beeing virtually the same - both used for component video etc... Sorry.

As for actually buying one, at least I can assume good build quality, vs risking it with el cheapo/'normal' priced ones ? 😁

Applying the '5 euro rule' on this one, it adds up to 50 euro($65) pr cable, which my $35 is well within I think. Not a bargain, but still pretty cheap, or ?

Anyway, I have no use for such a cable right now(hence my initial question), so even $35 would technically be a waste of monies...

Reply 10 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't have a use for it, well, you don't have to buy it 😀
These are not exactly rare cables, and with some quality coax like RG174 and the appropriate connectors you can easily make them yourself for about the same price.

Reply 11 of 13, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless they used mini-coax cable to keep the impedance of the wire right at 75-Ohm, and unless those are special, 75-Ohm RCA connectors, and only if the shielding in said coax was soldered correctly to the connector to retain near perfect 75-Ohm impedance, would that cable be worth any money... but not $100.

Reply 12 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't have a use for it, well, you don't have to buy it

Agreed!

But... it beeing at 90% off (!) and a retro-related quality end-of-line video cable, it automatically triggered my 'buy!' reflexes... 😁

(do not buy, do not buy, do not.............)

Reply 13 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for actually buying one, at least I can assume good build quality, vs risking it with el cheapo/'normal' priced ones ?

It'd be better than the 50 cent cables that come packaged with devices, but that's about all. It's not gonna work any better than this one, for example.

More expensive does not mean better, it means more profit for the manufacturer. What matters in a cable is the impedance, shielding, gauge of wire (up to a point), and how well the connectors make contact, and there are plenty of cheap cables that can meet the necessary requirements for anything you may want to hook up. The rest is fake-science bullshit designed solely to part idiots from large amounts of money. Fancy sleeving, pretty gold plated connectors, "oxygen free" wire... all that stuff means exactly fuck all for how well the cable works.