VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am thinking of getting a new CRT monitor since my IBM G74's housing cracked up due to extremely lame plastic that completely dried out.

I found an auction for Philips 202P4 that has an Composite video input - BNC X 5, and VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) inputs.
These are some specs:

Max Res: 2048 x 1536 at 80.0 Hz
Diagonal / View : 22.0" / 20.0"
Vertical Refresh Rate : 160 Hz
Horizontal Refresh Rate : 130 kHz

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors/philips- … 7-21026751.html

I want to use it for my older PCs.
What is a realistic price on this monitor and is it a good choice?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:
I am thinking of getting a new CRT monitor since my IBM G74's housing cracked up due to extremely lame plastic that completely d […]
Show full quote

I am thinking of getting a new CRT monitor since my IBM G74's housing cracked up due to extremely lame plastic that completely dried out.

I found an auction for Philips 202P4 that has an Composite video input - BNC X 5, and VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) inputs.
These are some specs:

Max Res: 2048 x 1536 at 80.0 Hz
Diagonal / View : 22.0" / 20.0"
Vertical Refresh Rate : 160 Hz
Horizontal Refresh Rate : 130 kHz

http://reviews.cnet.com/crt-monitors/philips- … 7-21026751.html

I want to use it for my older PCs.
What is a realistic price on this monitor and is it a good choice?

Professional monitors like these rarely go for less than top $$. Some graphics professionals undoubtedly prefer the advantages of high-end CRTs, and the monitor is huge to boot. Oh, and you have to find one for sale. The composite video input is interesting, I wonder if it can sync down to 15kHz through the VGA/BNC inputs.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 4, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen monitors with such specs go from more than 300€, which is completely absurd in my opinion.

I bought from eBay an LG 19" CRT Flatron, 1600x1200 max., for 35€ plus 12€ shipping and I've been wondering since if I could have scraped one instead of paying for it; although it's in an "as new" condition.

The specs are impressive, but I would weight its price with the availability of other cheaper or even free monitors around your zone. Also, not every video card will support its maximum resolution. Now that I have a second glance at them: man, 2048x1536 at 80 Hz on 22". That's sweet as f*

Reply 3 of 4, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few similar monitors, including a Philips 201P10 that has about the same specs (2048x1536 at 75Hz) with the same viewable area. The P in the model number means it's a trinitron (aperture grille) tube, personally I dislike these tubes as I said before here somewhere on these forums. Shadow mask CRTs generally last much longer, have more vibrant colours, and are sharper (IMO), especially at lower resolutions. One good thing about aperture grille monitors is that they are always perfectly flat. Flat shadow mask CRTs often have convergence issues, and a non-professional monitor will likely not have adjustment controls for that.

Since nobody wants these bulky things anymore I think a reasonable price would be about €25 to 50.

Reply 4 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool 😀
This monitors current price is 10 euro. And i think it wont go more than 15 euro unless some one who knows about monitors appears. I already contacted the seller and am waiting some info from him.
The only thing that is a bit bad is that its weight is 30kg 😁

Ive had no problems with my G76 (accidentally wrote G74 in first post) and it served as a really good monitor. But a few days ago i kinda put my hand on it and the plastic cracked up really bad on the top. I considered patching it up, but its too dried out to give me any hope of it not breaking apart more.
The philips monitor i saw on an auction here in Serbia. Ive seen pro monitors before going for very low prices but lost interest due to weight. This time i am quite interested because of RGB input.
Here is a picture of it:

http://static.limundoslike.com/originalslika-15938609.jpg

The auction ends in 5 days.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"