VOGONS

Common searches

The downfall of Firefox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 89, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Another Firefox update (?today) - 20.0.1. […]
Show full quote

Another Firefox update (?today) - 20.0.1.

Some people think very frequent updates are signs of very active developer community with adding of non-stop improvements.

Others think, too frequent 'updates' ( - 'patch' in disguise) shows the product is not complete, with lots of holes to patch up, or even half baked and with lots of errors - hence the needed workaround.

I don't know which one it falls into.

Why not both ?!?

I think it really is both, active development but also to patch/fix bugs etc...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 81 of 89, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to recall some people thought the shift to rapidly-changing version numbers was basically a "marketing" thing intended to keep Firefox looking as attractive as Chrome or Opera.

Chrome, of course, probably updates just as frequently as Firefox, if not more so – only it's a good deal more sneaky about it. I did not like that at all.

Reply 82 of 89, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I seem to recall some people thought the shift to rapidly-changing version numbers was basically a "marketing" thing intended to keep Firefox looking as attractive as Chrome or Opera.

Chrome, of course, probably updates just as frequently as Firefox, if not more so – only it's a good deal more sneaky about it. I did not like that at all.

You're right: using Chrome in a Mac, for example, I see now that I'm running 26.0.1410.43 and "it's almost finished updating". I check the version number for time to time and it always changes, just it does it silently.

Edit: now it's 26.0.1410.65

Reply 83 of 89, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On that subject, I did come close to installing Chrome. The last thing that gave me pause was reading their web page and realizing they had it set up to automatically update itself without permission. I dislike that kind of behavior and the attitude it indicates.
New Firefox versions do the same thing, as does Thunderbird.

It seems to be popular nowadays that browsers, and even some other apps, adopt an aggressive posture towards supposedly protecting people from themselves. I'm sure there's many people in the general population who don't mind, but I find that attitude in a development community to be oppressive.

1) Autoupdate should be optional, and the default should not be enabled. If you really think it's important - ask me on the first run *before* you've already updated something. And don't hide the setting under a cryptic hidden configuration screen that requires internet research to even locate.
2) Even if I was paranoid about security updates, that doesn't mean I want to be forced into whatever messed up general application changes one of your developers dreamed about last night. Give an option for minor updates only (bugs/security) and people like me might appreciate it.

Reply 84 of 89, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another problem with AutoUpdate is, that if the requirements of the software increase and your system does not fulfill the requirements of the new version then the update takes place, while the software does not run anymore. Usually the installer still runs. This leaves you with a non functional result.

There is another thing that annoys me. If you mark a line of text on a webpage to the end and put this into clipboard by CTRL-C f.e. then Firefox adds a CRLF at the end and Internet Explorer a Space. In the marked area Internet Explorer shows the Space however.
Now why has this to be different and not even like in any normal simple text editor, where you mark a line to the end and the last letter on screen is the last letter in clipboard. CRLF is included if you move the mouse down and mark also the start of the next line.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 86 of 89, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

firefox - world's worst browser by now. its time to look after a different one.

thats one thing that they was still unable to implement multiprocessed/multithreaded browsing in the stable version, even 10 years after the cpu-s having multiple real/virtual cores, so you have to wait 2 minute for facebook to render, if you open 10-20 tabs with your notifications.

but they not even attempted to fix any of the bugs i reported to them, some exist since 4 years by now, and they dont give a shit.
for example, to display a few simple web-page, it needs 1 gbyte of RAM. if you save a lot of images, and run the software for a while, the save popups forget to appear, or they just cant download any more. if you have lot bookmarks, it takes minutes to load it by its sql-javascripted interface. if it have chance, it dumps 1-2 mbyte to the disk per minute, your pendrive will be happyly die after days, if you have the portable version. even if you disable all cache saving, of course, without that, it can be 20-30 mbyte per minute, rofl.

this browser is purely pathetic in every mentionable ways. this program is the example of a communist state in software form, the example when the productivity of a group is smaller than the productivity of the smallest element of it.

however, all opensource software is like this.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html