VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I missed the game the first time it came around, but recently I got one from ebay. Problem is, the game is horrendously difficult due to wobbly control.

It is most noticeable in NSDF M60A7 MBT tank. When I move my mouse to the right, the turret wait for a while before rotating to the right. But when I stop moving my mouse, the turret keep moving to the right - as if it has inertia of some sort - that I need to move my mouse to the left a little to stop it from rotating.

I guess it depends on what vehicles you're using. When walking on foot, the problem is barely noticeable, although the control is not as fluid in, say, Quake. When using walker, the inertial rotation is not very noticeable either, but of course, the thing turns slower.

It makes the game pretty hard. For example, I never succeed in protecting the scavenger in training mission #3, because it's so hard to aim at the enemy scout (which is attacking my scavenger). I tried to use joystick, but it also suffers from inertial rotation In fact, with joystick, it is harder to compensate than with mouse.

Is it part of the game design? Is there any way to reduce the inertial effect in Battlezone?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 4, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The turret thing might be this;

The starting point of the mouse (where your mouse physically is located, not the mousepointer on the screen) is the 'center'.
Moving the mouse to the left or the right of that point, rotates the turret and it only stops if you return the mouse to it's 'center' position.

I've seen this behaviour in some flight/space sims/arcades. Very annoying behaviour when using a mouse, but when using a joystick, it works.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

The turret thing might be this;

The starting point of the mouse (where your mouse physically is located, not the mousepointer on the screen) is the 'center'.
Moving the mouse to the left or the right of that point, rotates the turret and it only stops if you return the mouse to it's 'center' position.

Yep, precisely the problem I'm suffering in Battlezone.

NitroX infinity wrote:

I've seen this behaviour in some flight/space sims/arcades. Very annoying behaviour when using a mouse, but when using a joystick, it works.

Problem is, using joystick in Battlezone doesn't help matters any. The inertia stays even when using joystick. Moreover, joystick is even worse because it doesn't respond as fast as a mouse.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, how about Battlezone 2? Does the gameplay suffer from similar inertia effect?

And how do you manage to overcome the intertia in Battlezone 1? Any useful tips? Thanks.