Planning to Build a New Computer - Want Some Advice

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 126, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I'm not that familiar with coolermaster psu's. Corsair on the other hand are cream-of-the-crop as of late.

As a user of both, I'd have to say CM's PSUs have really caught up in recent times while Corsair's quality is not what it used to be. My TX650 V2 is still going strong after 2 + years of really heavy usage- incl. running a an overclocked Q6600 + 3870 tri-fire setup at one point. My AX850 died after a few months, with RMA taking forever. The replacement AX860 will go straight to sales as I've heard numerous complaints about coil whine and as I'm very sensitive to such noises, am not gonna put that into any of my rigs.

OTH, never had any of the numerous cheap CMs fail on me, and my Silent Hybrid Pro 1050w looks, feels and runs the business.

Just saying, sometimes it boils down to luck and aftersales support is a BIG factor.

Reply 122 of 126, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

(not really true cores though 😜)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Because one is not enough...

🤣 I am a bit of a fanboy.

Reply 123 of 126, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

MOUSE: Azio Corp Levetron GM533U Gaming Mouse
(Original Selection: Same)

Never get a four legged mouse. It will wobble in most cases. Even if the legs are indeed perfect leveled, your desk doesn't have to. 3-legged is the only good choice (or 2).
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option= … =1&limitstart=4
'Scroll wheel doesn't always register one increment movements' - this actually should make people return the mouse as broken.

I also don't know where the Watts crazyness comes from. I own a 400W Tagan TG400-U33 for 6 years and it handles my 4 core phenom and gtx 280 cool and quiet. And modern hardware only takes less power. I actually regret buying it as I had a nice silent Ever-power pz-350 before (15cm fan) http://comp.potrebitel.ru/?action=model_item& … 07&gud_id=11463 and i guess it would work too.

Reply 124 of 126, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:
Never get a four legged mouse. It will wobble in most cases. Even if the legs are indeed perfect leveled, your desk doesn't have […]
Show full quote
Gemini000 wrote:

MOUSE: Azio Corp Levetron GM533U Gaming Mouse
(Original Selection: Same)

Never get a four legged mouse. It will wobble in most cases. Even if the legs are indeed perfect leveled, your desk doesn't have to. 3-legged is the only good choice (or 2).
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option= … =1&limitstart=4
'Scroll wheel doesn't always register one increment movements' - this actually should make people return the mouse as broken.

I also don't know where the Watts crazyness comes from. I own a 400W Tagan TG400-U33 for 6 years and it handles my 4 core phenom and gtx 280 cool and quiet. And modern hardware only takes less power. I actually regret buying it as I had a nice silent Ever-power pz-350 before (15cm fan) http://comp.potrebitel.ru/?action=model_item& … 07&gud_id=11463 and i guess it would work too.

dog-dude-wait-what.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 125 of 126, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

I also don't know where the Watts crazyness comes from.

Extreme overclocking of both CPU and GPU and/or multi GPU setups. That's really about it though. Considering the amount of such 500W+ PSUs sold vs. the tiny fraction of these use cases you have to acknowledge the effects of marketing and word of mouth. I guess at some point in the P4 era some PSU maker decided that a true high end computer needs a kilowatt PSU and the trend caught on in a somewhat weaker form 😀

Reply 126 of 126, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:
robertmo wrote:

I also don't know where the Watts crazyness comes from.

Extreme overclocking of both CPU and GPU and/or multi GPU setups. That's really about it though. Considering the amount of such 500W+ PSUs sold vs. the tiny fraction of these use cases you have to acknowledge the effects of marketing and word of mouth. I guess at some point in the P4 era some PSU maker decided that a true high end computer needs a kilowatt PSU and the trend caught on in a somewhat weaker form :happy:

At the same time though, just because the total wattage is enough for the stuff you equip your system with, doesn't mean the amps per rail will be, especially with the 12v lines. When I was upgrading my present system with a new video card, I knew the 330W PSU inside wasn't going to cut it, but I had to go at least 550W to find a PSU that could handle the 12v current the new video card needed on one rail because virtually ALL of the PSUs out at the time split the available power between two or more 12v rails. :P

It's a little different now though. The PSU I've selected for my new build only has one 12v rail but supports a very high amperage on that rail, which simplifies everything. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg