VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My ASUS P2B-F had some bulged caps, so I will replace them with new one.

I want to replace them with solid caps because it has long life durability, is it good for my old mobo with nice solid caps?

Also, is Sanyo solid caps any good?

Reply 2 of 7, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really not necessary for any Pentium 3 to have solid capacitors. If you plan on overclocking then it will help. If you do decide to use polymer caps, just make sure you use a nice power-supply or beef up your current one with premium capacitors as well.

Reply 3 of 7, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

It's really not necessary for any Pentium 3 to have solid capacitors. If you plan on overclocking then it will help. If you do decide to use polymer caps, just make sure you use a nice power-supply or beef up your current one with premium capacitors as well.

Maybe old Enermax PSU any good? Because it easier to find the old model in eBay.

Reply 4 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used some 560uF Sanyo OS-Con and 680uF Nippon PSA to recap a P3 socket-370 board once, and also 2 or 3 slot-1 boards. They worked well on all of them. Not really necessary though. The biggest pain about it is that the legs are thicker on polymers so they're harder to get installed.
On the CPU Vcore rail, there's a relationship between the required capacitance versus the ESR of the capacitors. If ESR is much lower then less capacitance is required. I remember reading that described in both Intel and AMD documents, but it's been a long time so I can't really cite it. On the boards I recapped I was replacing P2-P3 era 1000uF-1500uF caps, and at least for those boards it worked out.
Sanyo polymers are excellent, I don't think there's any that could be called better than those.

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ncmark wrote:

I have soldered before but never on a motherboard - I am afraid I might be to chicken to try it on a motherboard

If you have any junk motherboards you don't care about, they're perfect for practicing on. You don't really have to suck out the solder, instead, you can just melt the solder and walk the legs out (gently, don't rip the via). Some boards are harder than others. It often helps to add solder to get better contact with the joint.
You can do the same thing when installing the new cap, but many believe it's better to open up a hole first. They're probably right, but I find the melt method easier.
I've read a suggestion on badcaps to use a stainless steel pick or something similar to poke a hole while the solder is melted. The solder won't stick to stainless, so you can then twist it out and a hole will be left behind.

Reply 7 of 7, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe old Enermax PSU any good? Because it easier to find the old model in eBay.[/quote]

Just make sure you check the brand capacitors you have in your PSU. You don't want to install some nice Nichicon polymers on your motherboard while your PSU has Teapo or G-Luxon, etc.