VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I was testing my Chaintech-486SPM that I just got fixed and that refused to boot (keyboard error and dead battery) My PSU started to smell of burned components and molten solder along with making faint ticking noises. how likely is it that the motherboard killed the PSU? I had tried another PSU before that one and it refused to do anything (should have known 😒 ).

The problem is that I no longer have a PSU that I can use in my tower case (the other AT PSU's cables are way too short). I am planning to get an ATX PSU however I have no idea how much a 486 needs on the +5 line. Could anyone help me out ?

Reply 2 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With a 486 I don't think you have to worry much! While I don't have any facts to back this up, just by looking at the tiny heatsinks for 486 (if they have one at all), I don't think they draw much power.

So getting a decent branded PSU, like Corsair or Seasonic, should do the trick.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some ISA cards require a -5v line to operate, I know of two: Roland LAPC-I and Sound Blaster 2.0. New ATX PSUs have no such line. When I bought a Roland LAPC-I, had to throw my pretty new Corsair PSU out because of no -5v line in it.

If you need a new ATX PSU with a -5v, think of Emacs/Zippy/Advantech. Server PSUs, they are quite loud but steadily built.